KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is "Chivalry" Sexist?

Is "Chivalry" Sexist?
Started by: MF DELPH

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
So you believe a woman is just as physically disadvantaged as the elderly or the disabled?
Of course not (you "forgot" the child I mentioned, who often has quite the energy for standing).

A few years back I was on a bus, sitting across from a live-action version of the Simpson Comic Book Guy: he was two-seats huge, had long hair, and was reading comics. He dropped one, and I started to get up to get it for him, figuring it would be easier for me to do so (I was half his size and athletic; does this make me "weightist"?). He looked at me, smiled and said, "That's okay, thanks," and he proceeded to pick the comic off the floor himself. As he straightened up, he looked at me again, smiled and nodded. He appreciated the gesture of kindness.

The world needs more kindness, no? What it certainly doesn't need more of is...
**** them.

Originally posted by riv6672
I hold the door for women, so i can take a gander at their hineys.
If they ain't J-Lo or Kim K calibre, they're getting their own doors.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 11:24 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Considering who you arent, i dont think they'll care.laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 12:19 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Mindship
Of course not (you "forgot" the child I mentioned, who often has quite the energy for standing).

A few years back I was on a bus, sitting across from a live-action version of the Simpson Comic Book Guy: he was two-seats huge, had long hair, and was reading comics. He dropped one, and I started to get up to get it for him, figuring it would be easier for me to do so (I was half his size and athletic; does this make me "weightist"?). He looked at me, smiled and said, "That's okay, thanks," and he proceeded to pick the comic off the floor himself. As he straightened up, he looked at me again, smiled and nodded. He appreciated the gesture of kindness.

If they ain't J-Lo or Kim K calibre, they're getting their own doors.
So why do you give your seat to otherwise perfectly healthy women, but not otherwise perfectly healthy men?

If you do give your seat to perfectly healthy men, then you basically give your seat up to everybody, in which case you're not being chivalrous and your anecdote isn't really relevant to this topic.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Aug 7th, 2014 at 09:57 PM

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 09:52 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

While I'm sure the air smells so much sweeter on your high horse is there any reason why you give up your seat to healthy women?

No, not tremendously fat or old or crippled or anything (and the reason I didn't mention the child is because you gave a reason for giving up your seat that wasn't about them being physically disadvantaged), just a normal, perfectly healthy woman.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2014 09:54 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

is there any reason why you give up your seat to healthy women?
Young, healthy women are least likely to get my seat. On them, I like to enforce the equality...except when I feel like being a gentleman. And they always accept.

I'd offer you my seat.

Originally posted by Tzeentch
So why do you give your seat to otherwise perfectly healthy women, but not otherwise perfectly healthy men?
Healthy men are my physical peers. But I'd offer you my seat too.

Last edited by Mindship on Aug 8th, 2014 at 01:50 AM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 01:45 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I'm flattered, though if you'd basically offer your seat to anyone, with old people and the disabled getting priority, that's not really chivalrous so much as it's being a nice person in general.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 02:07 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

While I'm sure the air smells so much sweeter on your high horse.

haha!
If one doesnt mind the horse dung.

Chivalry isnt in and of itself sexist; sexist people can be chivalrous.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 08:16 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Chivalry is sexist, ageist, healthist etc.

It doesn't mean it's bad. People need to stop assuming sexist is inmediately a bad thing thumb up

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 08:23 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Chivalry, at least in the way I think it is generally used, is sexist. And, I disagree with Bentley, I think all sexism is bad (however, I think that may stem from different definitions of sexism, more so than a real disagreement).

Now a general politeness not based on any sexist assumptions of gender, and treating everyone with respect and kindness, is a good thing. And, imo, we should strive towards living our lives in accordance with that (to a reasonable degree, of course).

Last edited by Bardock42 on Aug 8th, 2014 at 08:33 AM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 08:31 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Gender's always going to be a factor, no matter how hard you try.
But its good that you try.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 08:48 AM
Clovie

I don't mind it. And seriously seeing a girl putting heavy suitcase on the top shelf in a train with like 5 guys watching is just fcked up.

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 09:06 AM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Originally posted by Bentley
People need to stop assuming sexist is inmediately a bad thing thumb up

I assume you mean "sexism." If so, when is sexism good?

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 09:21 AM
The Gravelord is currently offline Click here to Send The Gravelord a Private Message Find more posts by The Gravelord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Young, healthy women are least likely to get my seat. On them, I like to enforce the equality...except when I feel like being a gentleman. And they always accept.

I'd offer you my seat.

Healthy men are my physical peers. But I'd offer you my seat too.
What does you being a nice guy in general have to do with this thread?

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 09:36 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Clovie
I don't mind it. And seriously seeing a girl putting heavy suitcase on the top shelf in a train with like 5 guys watching is just fcked up.
That's only Chivalry in the context of this thread if you're doing it because she's a woman.

If you're doing it because she's obviously struggling with the weight, then it's just helping a physically weak person out. Someone who considers themselves a "nice guy" wouldn't just help out a woman if she's struggling to lift the suitcase, they'd do the same for a 100 pound beltway pansy of a man as well. Similarly, if the woman is strong enough to hoist the load/is a lesbian, I don't see why you'd offer to help them with something they can obviously do themselves and with no issue.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 09:41 AM
Clovie

Just curious... why being a lesbian makes woman capable to carry heavy things? huh

I can take care of myself, but It's always welcomed when someone is willing to help. and that being some handsome guy is an extra value big grin
but seriously, recently it's more common to see another girl helping and guys pretending to have back pain erm

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 10:15 AM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Tzeentch
I'm flattered, though if you'd basically offer your seat to anyone, with old people and the disabled getting priority, that's not really chivalrous so much as it's being a nice person in general.
What does you being a nice guy in general have to do with this thread?

I don't necessarily see being nice as a separate issue. My first thought when I saw this thread was, "So now what? I can't do something nice for a woman without being labelled? More political correctness gone amuck?" Hell wit dat. Back to basics for me with golden rule in hand.

As Bardock mentioned, a definition of chivalry might've been helpful. For example: "chivalry - I'm a man, you're a woman. By virtue of that fact alone, I am superior to you, physically, morally, etc. Therefore, it is my duty to be nice to you, to protect you, and so on." That's sexist, and can have negative consequences elsewhere (eg, "I need servicing, woman!").

OTOH, if chivalry means helping someone who may have a tougher time with a task/situation, or simply following the golden rule (eg, holding a door for a man/woman, giving a woman my seat, helping the pansy man lift a heavy suitcase), then, no, I don't see this as "-ist" in any fashion.

For what it's worth, I have my share of "**** them" moments. And while in the throes of an anger fantasy -- and especially if I act-out ("Hold your own goddamn door") -- I feel deserving and empowered. But afterwards, once the fog of war has lifted from my brain, I feel bad, because that's not the type of person I want to be. I don't like when my anger and egotism get the better of me.

The world needs more kindness, and fortunately, life provides endless opportunities to "get it right" the next time.

Last edited by Mindship on Aug 8th, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 11:35 AM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

they'd do the same for a 100 pound beltway pansy of a man..... if the woman is strong enough to hoist the load/is a lesbian

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 12:26 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Well if it is then I guess I'm not that sexist after all.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 05:26 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by The Renegade
I assume you mean "sexism." If so, when is sexism good?

Why should it be good or bad? Frankly, the concept of every action fitting into the mold of good or bad is nonsensical and ridiculously naive.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 05:57 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I don't necessarily see being nice as a separate issue. My first thought when I saw this thread was, "So now what? I can't do something nice for a woman without being labelled? More political correctness gone amuck?" Hell wit dat. Back to basics for me with golden rule in hand.

As Bardock mentioned, a definition of chivalry might've been helpful. For example: "chivalry - I'm a man, you're a woman. By virtue of that fact alone, I am superior to you, physically, morally, etc. Therefore, it is my duty to be nice to you, to protect you, and so on." That's sexist, and can have negative consequences elsewhere (eg, "I need servicing, woman!").

OTOH, if chivalry means helping someone who may have a tougher time with a task/situation, or simply following the golden rule (eg, holding a door for a man/woman, giving a woman my seat, helping the pansy man lift a heavy suitcase), then, no, I don't see this as "-ist" in any fashion.

For what it's worth, I have my share of "**** them" moments. And while in the throes of an anger fantasy -- and especially if I act-out ("Hold your own goddamn door") -- I feel deserving and empowered. But afterwards, once the fog of war has lifted from my brain, I feel bad, because that's not the type of person I want to be. I don't like when my anger and egotism get the better of me.

The world needs more kindness, and fortunately, life provides endless opportunities to "get it right" the next time.
Well, considering that a definition of chivalry was provided...

Originally posted by MF DELPH
Chivalry, as in giving women special treatment essentially for the sake of them being women

Yeah, "being nice to everybody in general" is an entirely separate concept and topic.

Last edited by Tzeentch on Aug 8th, 2014 at 09:04 PM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2014 08:57 PM