KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Does unconditional love exist?

Does unconditional love exist?
Started by: atv2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stoic
Avenger

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
I believe unconditional love has the best chance of happening with parent/child relationship. If you're worth anything as a parent, you place the child's needs above your own. You still love them regardless of the trounle they may get into. You love them even if they curse you.

It may be possible to love a spouse unconditionally. It would have to be your soulmate though, a Notebook kind of love, if it exists.

You seem like a romantic from what you wrote. I really don't believe that a person can be a soul mate, but more to the tune of a sole mate, or someone that helps you through this life, which would be a help mate. There will always be conditions, because in order for you to live harmoniously with someone, you would have to have arguments in order to learn each others boundaries. The idea that a person that could get along with another unconditionally is in my belief a myth. You have to change in order to successfully integrate with another persons ideals, and they would have to change to fit yours. Children grow up, and become rebellious. If you give your child everything that their heart desires, you will tend to raise a spoiled brat. Unconditional means without condition, and that simply doesn't exist between 2 people. I mean, it's difficult enough to even love ourselves unconditionally.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2014 03:02 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
The difference is I would not make that option available to you.
Your kid might though. Can never tell what the little blighters are up to.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2014 05:02 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

The only conditional love is that which is enacted for an individual's direct survival. Like a man rescuing a woman at the expense of his life, a woman lifting up a car to save her child. Parent's nursing their children in general. There's a part of the brain designed just for that sort of thing, so that life could continue when our brains evolved before our radically implemented machinations and developed technologies and scientific sophistication made those regions of our minds obsolete.

Other than that, it's either compromise, infatuation, or the work of God.

Infatuation is the only thing one can guarantee, if one can both aesthetically appeal to another's sensual satisfactory and qualify as meeting that certain individual's emotional needs. Please keep in mind that all human beings share commonalities in those preferential regards. Compromise never ends well and is far more difficult than shaping yourself to infatuate others of the opposite gender (assuming we're all heterosexual or more heterosexual in our bisexuality [everyone is bi-curious, you have to respect yourself to respect others - same goes for gender]) through your lifestyle choices.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Last edited by KillaKassara on Dec 19th, 2014 at 09:05 AM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2014 09:00 AM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Re: Does unconditional love exist?

Originally posted by atv2
Growing up I was taught about unconditional love but I always questioned it because humanity on a whole is fragile when it comes to loving people. We are extremely conditional when it comes to love. If people hurt the other it is convenient to break the relationship and not see the other again. Even in the new testament, Christ laid conditions on the people saying that if we were to love him we should keep his commandments or if someone was to put their hand to the plow and turns back is not worthy of the kingdom. There is still a Hell that exist so it matters to God that we are obedient to his words. It matters what we do and it matters who we are in the eyes of God. I've been trying to discover what unconditional love is and I'm still learning. Does anyone believe that unconditional love exists?

Get a dog. You will believe in unconditional love.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2014 12:29 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

I love those around me unconditionally. I'm the new messiah.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Dec 24th, 2014 03:41 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greatest I am

Originally posted by Wonder Man
Jesus say's his Yoke is light and to take it up. To put your trust in Him.
Unconditonal love happens.

But you just said you had to put your trust in Jesus. That is a condition is it not?

Regards
DL

Old Post Apr 28th, 2015 11:06 PM
Greatest I am is currently offline Click here to Send Greatest I am a Private Message Find more posts by Greatest I am Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

I love my dog unconditionally.

If I have children, I will love them unconditionally.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Apr 29th, 2015 12:47 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greatest I am

Originally posted by Jmanghan
I love my dog unconditionally.

If I have children, I will love them unconditionally.

Will you love your dog if it kills your child?

Will you love your male child if he will not stop raping your girl child?

Regards
DL

Old Post Apr 29th, 2015 01:05 PM
Greatest I am is currently offline Click here to Send Greatest I am a Private Message Find more posts by Greatest I am Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

When you're willing to do anything for her. Sacrifice everything. When all your thoughts are for her. Hormones are a part of it yes, but there is the emotional connection that is there. When she hurts, you hurt. When you hurt, she hurts. It's hard to explain until you've felt the power. Being in the presence is so intoxicating that it is like a drug.

For those who have felt it . . . we all have felt it's power.

This might explain:
https://youtu.be/lORcpT89t9c

War Doctor

Old Post Oct 16th, 2015 11:18 PM
Darth Truculent is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

For me I just think since humans aren't perfect they can never love someone unconditionally. I actually do believe in soul mates though. Or I guess for me..I just hope they exist. I thought my first girlfriend was my soul mate..but I was wrong. The current person I am with I don't try to think about things like that. I admit I'm very cynical due to being cheated on in past relationships. That baggage unfortunately carried over to the current girl I'm with. Of course she has some baggage of her own and is a cop and kind of..um, corrupt-ish.

Here is a question though about those talking about parents loving kids unconditionally: you have 2 kids, one brutally rapes and murders the other. You still loving that one kid?

Last edited by Surtur on Oct 16th, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Old Post Oct 16th, 2015 11:26 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Surtur
For me I just think since humans aren't perfect they can never love someone unconditionally. I actually do believe in soul mates though. Or I guess for me..I just hope they exist. I thought my first girlfriend was my soul mate..but I was wrong. The current person I am with I don't try to think about things like that. I admit I'm very cynical due to being cheated on in past relationships. That baggage unfortunately carried over to the current girl I'm with. Of course she has some baggage of her own and is a cop and kind of..um, corrupt-ish.
The ramblings of a madman.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2015 05:01 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Greatest I am
Will you love your dog if it kills your child?

Will you love your male child if he will not stop raping your girl child?

Regards
DL
I'd try to get my male child help, however I'd also probably beat his ass. You have to be messed up in the head to rape someone, especially your own sister.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2015 05:04 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The ramblings of a madman.

Well yes women tend to drive men crazy..

I'd try to get my male child help, however I'd also probably beat his ass. You have to be messed up in the head to rape someone, especially your own sister.

If you loved him without condition then why are you beating his ass?

Old Post Oct 17th, 2015 02:03 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greatest I am

Originally posted by Darth Truculent
When you're willing to do anything for her. Sacrifice everything. When all your thoughts are for her. Hormones are a part of it yes, but there is the emotional connection that is there. When she hurts, you hurt. When you hurt, she hurts. It's hard to explain until you've felt the power. Being in the presence is so intoxicating that it is like a drug.

For those who have felt it . . . we all have felt it's power.

This might explain:
https://youtu.be/lORcpT89t9c

Sure. When reciprocity exists. When love is not returned, yours dies.

One cannot love alone.

I think that is a song lyric as well.

Regards
DL

Old Post Oct 17th, 2015 10:01 PM
Greatest I am

He will likely hate you.

Please read what I put above or reciprocity and love being dead without it.

Regards
DL

Old Post Oct 17th, 2015 10:05 PM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Greatest I am
He will likely hate you.

Please read what I put above or reciprocity and love being dead without it.

Regards
DL

He should realize what he did was wrong.

I mean, thats just messed up.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2015 11:57 PM
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

Originally posted by Stoic
You seem like a romantic from what you wrote. I really don't believe that a person can be a soul mate, but more to the tune of a sole mate, or someone that helps you through this life, which would be a help mate. There will always be conditions, because in order for you to live harmoniously with someone, you would have to have arguments in order to learn each others boundaries. The idea that a person that could get along with another unconditionally is in my belief a myth. You have to change in order to successfully integrate with another persons ideals, and they would have to change to fit yours. Children grow up, and become rebellious. If you give your child everything that their heart desires, you will tend to raise a spoiled brat. Unconditional means without condition, and that simply doesn't exist between 2 people. I mean, it's difficult enough to even love ourselves unconditionally.
If you have love for a dead human isn't that unconditional? Technically they can't meet any condition at all and despite that they are loved anyway. I think you and some others are taking the idea of unconditional love and equating it with infinite love. A finite being cannot do anything indefinitely, this much we know, and the OP appears to be referring to humans on this plane of existence instead of immortal spirits. Unconditional love definitely exists because some humans are simply more extreme than others and we have evidence of this. Some humans will love a person that is torturing them in extreme instances. It is much more common for a human to love somebody that shows them love and shares many beliefs and values with them. If one human loves another DESPITE ANYTHING THAT PERSON DOES, then unconditional love exists.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2015 04:49 PM
The MISTER is currently offline Click here to Send The MISTER a Private Message Find more posts by The MISTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote