KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Silent Hills

Silent Hills
Started by: Zack Fair

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Fuq U. Kill la Kill is life. FIGHT ME IRL.

What's Ryuko got that I don't? Are you saying a sailor outfit wouldn't look good on this gorgeous bod?

(please log in to view the image)

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 07:08 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by Nemesis X
What's Ryuko got that I don't? Are you saying a sailor outfit wouldn't look good on this gorgeous bod?

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Last edited by Zack Fair on Aug 13th, 2014 at 07:47 AM

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 07:43 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

What's Ryuko got that I don't?
Gearbox-shaped eyes.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 07:56 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by NemeBro
Gearbox-shaped eyes.

I have a scar over my eye. Your argument is invalid

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 07:57 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I have a scar over my eye. Your argument is invalid

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 08:02 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Kojima on Silent Hill

quote:
“We originally wanted you to pee your pants,” said Kojima of how scary he wants the game to be. “Now we want you to shit your pants.”

Old Post Aug 13th, 2014 11:55 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Kazenji
Kojima on Silent Hill
Full quote:

quote:
"One thing that you have to keep in mind is that, if a game is too scary, people just won't play it. In movies or attractions ... if it gets too scary you just keep your eyes shut and soon it will be over. But if it's a game, people will just stop. So that's why there's a limit on how scary you can make a game. But in this case we're totally ignoring that and, you know what? If you don't want to keep on playing through the game, so be it. We don't care. That's the game we are aiming for, we're aiming for a game that will make you shit your pants. So, players, make sure you have a change [of clothes]," said Kojima."

My reaction:
I think I'm in love.

In other news, we have a confirmation of the story line.

PWNT

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 03:07 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

A tweet from almost two years ago. I also go to a Silent Hill forum (for a couple of years now) and Kojima had been making little hints to how much he would love to make a Silent Hill game and how great a series it is for quite some time. Methinks he's been working on this game for a while.

Also, this is a tweek by the original composer for the series before Downpour. If he wasn't working on the game, he would have flat out said it. A few people from the forums I go to noted that a few of the tracks played throughout the game sound suspiciously like his work (and they also used a really old school song for the end of the trailer). I'm cautiously optimistic.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpos...;postcount=3781

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Aug 14th, 2014 at 06:23 AM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 06:20 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

My god, what a beautiful tech demo. If the entire game is is also indoors and enclosed areas like all Silent Hill games, we can expect some gorgeous and haunting f*cked up locals.

PWNT

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 07:03 AM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Yeah you can see the demo in the video I posted. Some nice graphics.

This and Alien Isolation will be so good to satisfy the former Survival Horror lunatic in me.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 07:21 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

So Konami realized it has more than Castelvania and Metal Gear? Shocking.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 07:23 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I want to see another Suikoden game from them, Another one that's been put on the back burner.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 07:25 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by Bentley
Here is to Konami pumping more games and give the people making good games have more say. I always wondered why they didn't have Kojima work on other games. I mean I'm not asking for full director/develop/etc lvl, but oversee other games and such. They had one of the finest minds in gaming focusing on just one series: a series he wanted to quit for over 10 years. He has gone on record saying that he has made the franchise more and more ridiculous as time passes in hopes of getting fans to stop liking it. That is some serious shit right there.

FKN japan, man. God damn it.

Last edited by Zack Fair on Aug 14th, 2014 at 07:35 AM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 07:27 AM
Arachnid1

Silent Hill is one of Konamis most recognizable and renowned properties. It's always been bigger than Castelvania, and a little over a decade ago, it was bigger than MGS. It would be stupid to let this series die out. Although, a lot of us fans were beginning to think this was an abandoned series. The Silent Hill forums have been a ghost town for some time now, with the only real conversation going on in the sections of the old games where people barely playing the series posted. After this was outed, the forums have livened up a ton, and Silent Hill is getting some of the most PR its gotten in quite some time.

God, I love Silent Hill. This is THE next gen game for me. SH2 remains the first and only game to make me cry (although, I was 9 at the time). The feels were soul breaking.

Here is to Konami pumping more games and give the people making good games have more say. I always wondered why they didn't have Kojima work on other games. I mean I'm not asking for full director/develop/etc lvl, but oversee other games and such. They had one of the finest minds in gaming focusing on just one series: a series he wanted to quit for over 10 years. He has gone on record saying that he has made the franchise more and more ridiculous as time passes in hopes of getting fans to stop liking it. That is some serious shit right there.

FKN japan, man. God damn it.
Kojima has been known to over exaggereate and joke about his games a lot. Another forum I go to is an MGS forum, and the fans there love Kojima, and hate him at the same time for how he talks about his games. I don't think Kojima really was trying to make the franchise unappealing to the fans. I think he was just losing fear of really stretching his creative daring with the games. He was more willing to put his soul into his property overtime.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Aug 14th, 2014 at 07:46 AM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 07:43 AM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I don't recall Silent Hill being bigger than MGS at all...in like...ever.

But I'll take your word for it.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 07:52 AM
Arachnid1

I didn't start frequenting forums till I was 13 (2005, a year before I joined KMC) but I remember Silent Hill and Resident evil being all the rage back then. Its all anyone talked about, at school or online from what I saw. MGS was recommended to be at that point by a kid I knew in school (Twin Snakes had come out recently) and I ended up convincing my mom to get it and loving it. MGS always felt like a cult love at that point to me, with a specific fan base. SH, RE, and Fatal Frame though, seemed to be the horror games people aways argued about (people always argued about which was superior: Silent Hill obviously lol, with FF being a close second).

I was a kid then, so its always possible that I was wrong. Thats just the feeling I always had, because not a lot of people knew what MGS was.

PWNT

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 08:05 AM
Arachnid1

I didn't start frequenting forums till I was 13 (2005, a year before I joined KMC) but I remember Silent Hill and Resident evil being all the rage back then. Its all anyone talked about, at school or online from what I saw. MGS was recommended to be at that point by a kid I knew in school (Twin Snakes had come out recently, though not enough to eclipse SH 2 and 3 which came out before) and I ended up convincing my mom to get it and loving it. MGS always felt like a cult love at that point to me, with a specific fan base. SH, RE, and Fatal Frame though, seemed to be the horror games people aways argued about (people always argued about which was superior: Silent Hill obviously lol, with FF being a close second).

I was a kid then, so its always possible that I was wrong. Thats just the feeling I always had, because not a lot of people knew what MGS was. Silent Hill felt like it fell from grace, while RE just sold out to the masses, and FF died off.

PWNT

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 08:06 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Silent Hill is one of Konamis most recognizable and renowned properties. It's always been bigger than Castelvania, and a little over a decade ago, it was bigger than MGS.

Castelvania was bigger before Silent Hill existed

To be fair Castelvania peaked just after the 16 bit era and just after it got revamped 2D platformers went dead for over a decade. It was never the most amazing franchise, but unlike other Konami properties (like Goemon, Suikoden or the newly adquired Bomberman/Adventure Island) they've always managed to sneak Castelvania games here and there through the ages instead of abandoning them Megaman style.

But Sillent Hill is a franchise that was so critically aclaimed that it should've never vanished to begin with, Resident Evil's success is a proof that the genre never went out of flavor (even if RE has been lacking at times). It would sell like pancakes, unlike some of the other abandoned franchises that could only achieve tame success even if they came back.

Which reminds me... Why did you buy Hudson Soft Konami? Did you want to end the Far East from Eden series that much?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 08:44 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The demo/teaser was really outstanding. They absolutely nailed the atmosphere, and while the "puzzles" were a bit obtuse for their own good the presentation is top notch and extremely creepy. Absolutely can't wait for what looks like, finally, a return to form for Silent Hill.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 08:46 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Castelvania was bigger before Silent Hill existed

To be fair Castelvania peaked just after the 16 bit era and just after it got revamped 2D platformers went dead for over a decade. It was never the most amazing franchise, but unlike other Konami properties (like Goemon, Suikoden or the newly adquired Bomberman/Adventure Island) they've always managed to sneak Castelvania games here and there through the ages instead of abandoning them Megaman style.
Oh, I wasn't saying that Castlevania was subpar in terms of quality. I had a castlevania game for gameboy, and I loved it growing up. It just never seemed like a widely known or popular franchise at the time. I definitely don't doubt that it was all over the place in its prime, so my statement was definitely unfair to the series. I know Lord of Shadows had pretty good reviews, somewhat recently.

quote:
But Sillent Hill is a franchise that was so critically aclaimed that it should've never vanished to begin with, Resident Evil's success is a proof that the genre never went out of flavor (even if RE has been lacking at times). It would sell like pancakes, unlike some of the other abandoned franchises that could only achieve tame success even if they came back.
Silent Hill died off after Team Silent disbanded. The original team made amazing critically blown up games, but when the American team took over, the game dropped off after a noticeable drop in quality.

Resident Evil, on the other hand, completely changed its style and evolved into something great with Resident Evil 4. RE4 is my all time favorite game (though SH is my all time favorite franchise), but there is no denying that it ruined the franchise. From then on, the series got more bombastic and action oriented. It forgot what made it so great in the first place (which Revelations rediscovered), and it got big for great coop and action.

quote:
Which reminds me... Why did you buy Hudson Soft Konami? Did you want to end the Far East from Eden series that much?
I definitely didn't know what Hudson Soft was at the time. I didn't even know what it was until I looked it up 10 minutes ago. From what I could tell, they haven't been involved in any horror games I've played.

Far East from Eden seems to be a well reviewed series though. It's a shame that I missed it.

Originally posted by BackFire
The demo/teaser was really outstanding. They absolutely nailed the atmosphere, and while the "puzzles" were a bit obtuse for their own good the presentation is top notch and extremely creepy. Absolutely can't wait for what looks like, finally, a return to form for Silent Hill.
Agreed. The franchise sorely needed this for some time now. If only Resident Evil would get the same treatment.

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Aug 14th, 2014 at 09:30 AM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2014 09:20 AM