KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Battle of 5 Armies [Spoilers]

Battle of 5 Armies [Spoilers]
Started by: Angelalex242

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Angelalex242

Battle of 5 Armies [Spoilers]

So, thoughts on the last of the Peter Jackson flicks?

Old Post Dec 18th, 2014 12:23 AM
Angelalex242 is currently offline Click here to Send Angelalex242 a Private Message Find more posts by Angelalex242 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Richard Armitage done the hammiest over acting with his dragon sickness I've ever seen in a big budget movie in my life. It's distractingly bad. The scenerscene where Gandalf is rescued by Galadriel, Saruman and Elrond is the high point of the trilogy. The opening of the main battle is also pretty epic but it kind of fizzled out after that.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Dec 18th, 2014 12:29 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Angelalex242

Is it me, or does it look like Peter Jackson wanted to make Galadriel take Gandalf out on a date. Or even have an affair. Worth remembering Galadriel's married, ya know.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2014 01:22 AM
Angelalex242 is currently offline Click here to Send Angelalex242 a Private Message Find more posts by Angelalex242 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101
The scenerscene where Gandalf is rescued by Galadriel, Saruman and Elrond is the high point of the trilogy.

truth! that scene was awesome!

Old Post Dec 18th, 2014 11:01 PM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Personally think that the Nauglamir references are possibly the most Tolkien thing about Jackson's saga. Despite the fact that it has no place in the Third Age nevermind Erebor.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2014 06:29 AM
AncientPower is currently offline Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

These were mediocre big budget films, a poor prequel, and an absolutely atrocious adaptation.

Did not like any of these movies.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2014 08:34 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

These movies were pretty damn good. Quit hating.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2014 04:26 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

These were pretty damn lousy. Start hating.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2014 10:03 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Honestly, I wasn't particularly impressed with Bo5A barring the rescue of Gandalf and that was just pure fanservice for me as a Chris Lee fanatic.

These films are nowhere near the quality of LOTR in my opinion, to the extent it almost feels like Jackson is a different man entirely.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2014 10:14 PM
The_Tempest is currently offline Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

He seems to be. He didn't want to do these films, but the studios said it was him or someone else. Can hardly blame the guy for not wanting to lose the franchise he made so popular. That he didn't want to be 3 films either...

The movie felt like a by-the-numbers generic action/fantasy. I knew the story, I knew the lore, I knew the characters, and I could spot a shitty adaption pretty easily. Barring the source material, it's also just not a very well structured trilogy. The tone was a mess, the characters were... bad is the kindest summary I have. And the story was just silly at best, annoying/frustrating at worst. Genuinely didn't like these movies, and I really wanted to.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 04:21 AM
NemeBro

Still better than the book they're based on though. thumb up

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 04:31 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah, to an extent. There's a lot more characterization in the films--Bilbo doesn't get a whole helluva lot on the book, and the Dwarves are just a moving backdrop. The novel felt more like the journey was the point of the story and what we should focus on, not the people in it. The movies at least attempted to do both. Problem is though that it did neither very well. The people felt too cartoonish at times, or two epically serious at others (the exception being Bilbo himself, I think he was rather well done, at least comparatively).

And "epic" is the problem. The source material was far from epic, but since the LotR movies were, the Hobbit had to be as well. And the source material just didn't lend itself to an epic adaption. It tried. Oh lord how it tried. And it ended up being all the worse for it. It's a bad sign when your "epic" trilogy elicits nothing more than a "huh" from the viewer. Which is the reaction I've heard from a lot of watchers. It was just too big and clunky to take seriously, and the lighter moments felt too shoehorned in to appreciate the levity. Again, the tone was a mess.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 04:56 AM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
These were pretty damn lousy. Start hating.
Nah, just unrealistic expectations. The stakes were not as high as the Lotr and because it didn't live up to the original trilogy Iyo it is awful. I loved them and welcome more if they ever sort of the mess with the remaining Tolkiens.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2014 06:53 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Actually it was because it tried to live up to the originals that I disliked it so much. It should have been it's own self-contained thing instead of trying to re-live the "ZOMG Epicness!" of the LotR. It wasn't an epic story and it was a terrible attempt at making it so.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2014 08:07 AM
Phoenix2001

Isn't it possible that PJ was "restraining" the Hobbit movies in an attempt to keep them from overshadowing the LOTR films since the stakes are at their highest in LOTR?

Old Post Dec 25th, 2014 01:05 PM
Phoenix2001 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix2001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Actually it was because it tried to live up to the originals that I disliked it so much. It should have been it's own self-contained thing instead of trying to re-live the "ZOMG Epicness!" of the LotR. It wasn't an epic story and it was a terrible attempt at making it so.
It was epic. We see how it all built up to that. We saw Sauron beat Gandalf and what not. We also saw the most formidable Orc ever in Azog. The first three films had fodder orcs by the scores. Smaug was also well done. Plenty of things about these films to celebrate.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2014 04:39 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Sure. And even more to be crestfallen about.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2014 07:07 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Sure. And even more to be crestfallen about.
Well you seem like a very negative type person. I feel bad for pessimists. It'll make a ton of money and I'm glad as the films were quite enjoyable.

smile

Old Post Dec 26th, 2014 04:21 AM
ares834

Galadriel calling Sauron a "servant of Morgoth" left me fangasming. Loved that whole sequence.

Anyway, I enjoyed the film. It seemed to be taking a big turn for the worse when the BoFA started but then if thankfully became more personal when it focused on Thorin and Co.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2014 04:30 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by ares834
Galadriel calling Sauron a "servant of Morgoth" left me fangasming. Loved that whole sequence.

Anyway, I enjoyed the film. It seemed to be taking a big turn for the worse when the BoFA started but then if thankfully became more personal when it focused on Thorin and Co.
That line alone seals the deal he is no true dark lord. As soon as I heard the word servant aka Morgoth's ***** that sealed the deal for Sauron.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2014 05:51 AM