KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Assemble your dream crew

Assemble your dream crew
Started by: Omega Vision

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Assemble your dream crew

Okay, so here are the rules.

First, assume your ship will be a TNG/DS9/VOY-era ship, let's say a Galaxy class, with a primary mission of exploration and a secondary purpose as a means of defense against hostile powers.

Second, you must fill eight positions. These positions are: Captain, First Officer, Chief of Security/Tactical Officer, Helm/Navigator, Chief Medical Officer, Chief Engineer, Chief Science Officer, and Wildcard (can be any kind of position; can even be a civilian/non-Starfleet member, but no one who would radically change the ship's operations like a Q or some other being of great power, and it can't be any kind of position that makes one of the other positions redundant)

Third, you can select main or recurring* characters from the following: TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, and any of the canon movies.

Fourth, you can't use more than two characters from the same source. Characters like Worf and O'Brien are exceptions because they were main characters in two different shows. With this rule in mind, choose wisely.

Fifth, assume that despite differences in eras, all characters have been collected and put through an education program so that they all have roughly equivalent levels of knowledge in history, technology, and tactics as of the DS9 era. We're judging them not by their eras but by their personal skills and strengths.

Sixth, you can't use characters for positions outside of their canon positions, tempting as it is for me to imagine a ship with Picard as captain and Kirk as his first officer. Again, a character like Worf might prove an exception as he was portrayed as alternatively first officer or commander of the USS Defiant in DS9 as well as being Tactical officer in DS9 and TNG.

*To be recurring, let's say they had to have been in at least 3 episodes.

Okay, so I'll begin.

Here's one possible crew:

Captain: Picard. (TNG) This is the hardest choice because I don't think there's a single bad captain in any of the shows. But Picard is just the best for a lot of reasons. He's incredibly smart and charismatic, he's probably the most level headed and deliberative of any captain in Star Fleet history, and yet for that thoughtfulness he's still quite decisive when he needs to be. To add to that, several episodes of TNG showed that he can throw down, so he even scores points for being rough and tumble despite his polish.
First Officer: Spock. (TOS) It would be a lot less interesting for sure than the interplay between Kirk and Spock, but this combination of Picard and Spock would arguably produce a better team.
Tactical: Worf (DS9) He's the only tactical officer who I don't have to try to remember.
Helm: Data. (TNG) An easy choice.
Science: Seven of Nine (VOY) This is another easy choice. At first I considered T'Pol, but when you think of it, Seven of Nine is just a stronger, smarter T'Pol with nanoprobes that can basically do anything with the right application.
Chief Engineer: O'Brien (DS9)
Medical: The Doctor. (VOY) There are a lot of great doctors. This was a close one, with Bashir from DS9 and Phlox from ENT almost taking it, but the Doctor's advantages as a holoprogram make him a natural pick. He's the only doctor who can treat his patients with essentially no chance of contamination.
Wild Card: Silik (ENT) I admit, this is a stretch, but he was a recurring character and he did cooperate with Starfleet when it suited him. I could see him serving in a sort of cloak and dagger role, doing Starfleet's dirty work on behalf of Section 31 while constantly butting heads with the more morally enlightened crew members.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Dec 28th, 2014 at 08:36 PM

Old Post Dec 28th, 2014 08:32 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Geez, this forum is dead.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2015 05:54 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Captain: Kirk (TOS) Sets the bar for captains and accomplishments as captain.

First Officer: Spock (TOS) Kirk couldn't have done it without Spock.

Tactical: Worf (DS9) Klingon warrior at tactical = win.

Helm: Data (TNG) Superior reflexes and processing.

Science: T'Pol (ENT) Yeah, she's hot. Not only has vast knowledge of the sciences but was able to keep Archer in line.

Chief: Geordi La Forge (TNG) Scotty is a miracle worker buy La Forge has knowledge 100 years more advanced. Plus his augmented sight.

Medical: The Doctor (VOY) Encyclopedic medical knowledge. Never needs rest. Snarky but funny personality.

Wild Card: Seven Of Nine (VOY) Yeah, she's hot too. Borg knowledge of the galaxy plus astrometrics.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Last edited by Badabing on Jan 11th, 2015 at 03:51 AM

Old Post Jan 11th, 2015 03:40 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Wouldn't T'Pol be irrelevant if Seven of Nine was on the ship?

Also, for this thread, when comparing Scotty and LaForge, assume Scotty's been brought up to speed with 24th century engineering.

I do think Kirk and T'Pol AND Spock on the same ship would make for some fascinating exchanges.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2015 01:44 AM
Badabing
Karen

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Wouldn't T'Pol be irrelevant if Seven of Nine was on the ship?

Also, for this thread, when comparing Scotty and LaForge, assume Scotty's been brought up to speed with 24th century engineering.

I do think Kirk and T'Pol AND Spock on the same ship would make for some fascinating exchanges.
Have you seen T'Pol!? Don't EVER say she'd be irrelevant!

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jan 19th, 2015 05:20 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

I seen her all day long. And a little of the night too.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2015 04:52 AM
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by Badabing
Captain: Kirk (TOS) Sets the bar for captains and accomplishments as captain.

First Officer: Spock (TOS) Kirk couldn't have done it without Spock.

Tactical: Worf (DS9) Klingon warrior at tactical = win.

Helm: Data (TNG) Superior reflexes and processing.

Science: T'Pol (ENT) Yeah, she's hot. Not only has vast knowledge of the sciences but was able to keep Archer in line.

Chief: Geordi La Forge (TNG) Scotty is a miracle worker buy La Forge has knowledge 100 years more advanced. Plus his augmented sight.

Medical: The Doctor (VOY) Encyclopedic medical knowledge. Never needs rest. Snarky but funny personality.

Wild Card: Seven Of Nine (VOY) Yeah, she's hot too. Borg knowledge of the galaxy plus astrometrics.
I may put Seven as science office and Quark as the wildcard for the lulz factor.

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2015 10:48 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Data isn't a helmsman, imo. He was an operations/science officer.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2015 09:16 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

He was a lot of things, but his primary post on the Enterprise was as helm officer.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2015 01:37 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Can't say I agree with you. Unless by helm you just mean that he sat at the front of the bridge.

For me, helm means navigator/pilot, and Data wasn't that for the majority of his posting on either of the Enterprises.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 31st, 2015 08:07 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by -Pr-
Data isn't a helmsman, imo. He was an operations/science officer.
I will not tolerate your mutiny on my ship.

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jan 31st, 2015 07:55 PM
Omega Vision

Originally posted by -Pr-
Can't say I agree with you. Unless by helm you just mean that he sat at the front of the bridge.

For me, helm means navigator/pilot, and Data wasn't that for the majority of his posting on either of the Enterprises.

Okay, so what would your crew be?

Old Post Feb 1st, 2015 07:33 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Shit, umm...

Captain: Kirk
Commander: Spock
Tactical/Security: Worf
Helm: Tom Paris
Medical: EMH
Engineering: Miles O'Brien
Science: Jadzia Dax
Wildcard: Data

Reasons:

I picked Kirk and Spock because as much as I wanted to mix and match from other shows, they just compliment each other the best from the options I had.
Security is Worf, because as much as he might have sucked in TNG, he was a total badass in DS9.
Tom Paris at the helm. My favourite character in Voyager, and he's as good as any pilot that's been in the shows imo.
EMH as the Doctor. I wanted Bashir so he and O'Brien could bro it up, but I had spaces to fill, and the EMH by season 7 is the total package as far as doctors go.
O'Brien in engineering. While he's more of an "everyman" than an officer, he's, imo, Star Trek's McGyver. That and the Dublin thing.
Science for Dax as, while she doesn't have Seven's expansive knowledge, she does have centuries of experience, and, **** it, she's gorgeous.
Data because, well, he's Data. And I wish Nemesis had never happened, even taking in to account the later comics.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 5th, 2015 04:52 AM
Omega Vision

Pretty well-balanced crew.

It's unfortunate that the Doctor from Voyager is so broken, because I really like Phlox and Bashir, but there's just no way you can argue for either of them.

Maybe if Bashir had ever shown off his Augment prowess in any real way...

Old Post Feb 5th, 2015 03:08 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Pretty well-balanced crew.

It's unfortunate that the Doctor from Voyager is so broken, because I really like Phlox and Bashir, but there's just no way you can argue for either of them.

Maybe if Bashir had ever shown off his Augment prowess in any real way...

Thanks.

Yeah, true. They like to show him off in the books, but the shows really only touched on it a little bit.

I had actually forgotten about Phlox; he's good but like you said, it's hard to argue with the EMH.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 5th, 2015 09:16 PM
Omega Vision

In terms of personality, Phlox is definitely my favorite. So, again, it's a shame the Doctor is so broken.

Then again, Phlox is no slouch himself in the hardiness department. He put up a better struggle against assimilation than any organic being this side of Species 8472. Using only 22nd century medical treatments and his own immune system he fought assimilation for what, two days? The crew of Voyager (with the Doctor's help and 24th century tech) could barely manage the same feat.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Feb 6th, 2015 at 03:35 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2015 03:32 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Phlox would be my third favourite doctor (behind Bashier and McCoy), but he's easily one of my favourite characters in Enterprise. Dude was awesome, and I generally thought that, even outside of the medical stuff, as a character he was at times a better representation of how different species could be compared to humans than T'Pol was.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 6th, 2015 06:13 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Phlox is a ****

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Feb 6th, 2015 10:49 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

I can't tell what word that is.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2015 01:20 AM
Badabing
Karen

My super annoying Trek crew.

Captain: Janeway (VOY) Imagine that voice every day.

First Officer: Troi (TNG) Her freakin' mood ring power is grating. She passed the commander test, so shut up Pr.

Tactical: Neelix (Voy) I had to find an annoying character for tactical. Neelix could load photon torpedoes with his horrible cuisine.

Helm: Ensign Mayweather (ENT) He seemed too nice. Must have been up to something. Either way it got on my nerves!

Science: Wesley Crusher (TNG) Nuff said, and he was a science geek.

Chief: O'Brien (DS9) Because Pr likes him, and that annoying Irish accent.

Medical: Dr. Phlox (ENT) Weirdo alien polygamist with a pedo smile.

Wild Card: Quark (DS9) Meh, he annoyed me.

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Feb 7th, 2015 01:56 AM