KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » How do you view: Force Wounds?

How do you view: Force Wounds?
Started by: Fated Xtasy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I've always thought of force wounds as somebody whose own direct connection to the force was damaged, so they were forced to rely on the connections of others, via drain and bonding.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 01:59 AM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zenwolf
I mean I don't get why Surik needed this Force Wound thing, when she could have just had it as just part of her character to begin with...was writing that too difficult so they made something up, when other things could have just achieved the same results?

Like I said its a deconstruction of RPG mechanics so that people think the story is so deep and profound.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:10 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

How is that any different then studying or having a vast power potential? Luke was also able to learn things at instantaneous rates too without a Force bond.

Couldn't you also influence others, by just speaking to them and sharing your own views and having them follow you?...

I mean I don't get why Surik needed this Force Wound thing, when she could have just had it as just part of her character to begin with...was writing that too difficult so they made something up, when other things could have just achieved the same results?

It's an unnatural method of doing those things and the Exile learns much quicker than Luke. But moreso Avellone used it as a metaphor for the scars that war truly leaves on people and the world as well as a nifty meta-commentary for gameplay mechanics. The Exile getting more powerful by killing enemies equates to leveling up with more exp.

Kotor 2 didn't make up Force Wounds, the concept existed before the game iirc. Avellone didn't write it this way because it was too hard to do it differently. No offense, but that's stupid. The concept of Force Wounds are intricately tied into the games themes and narrative. Avellone was using it to say things. And to comment on how damaging a war must be to the Force considering that it is so intimately tied into life itself. Also the entire story is based on the Exile's condition. Taking it away would change basically the entire game.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:19 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

The concept of a Force Wound dates all the way back to Kenobi's "I felt a great disturbance in the Force..." quote in 1977. Avellone merely expanded on this idea with actual individuals.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:27 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Because a "disturbance" means a giant black hole the sucks up force like a fat man drinking a slurpy... No, the concept did not exist in anyway similar to how it was presented in KotOR 2.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:31 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Nephthys
It's an unnatural method of doing those things and the Exile learns much quicker than Luke. But moreso Avellone used it as a metaphor for the scars that war truly leaves on people and the world as well as a nifty meta-commentary for gameplay mechanics. The Exile getting more powerful by killing enemies equates to leveling up with more exp.

Kotor 2 didn't make up Force Wounds, the concept existed before the game iirc. Avellone didn't write it this way because it was too hard to do it differently. No offense, but that's stupid. The concept of Force Wounds are intricately tied into the games themes and narrative. Avellone was using it to say things. And to comment on how damaging a war must be to the Force considering that it is so intimately tied into life itself. Also the entire story is based on the Exile's condition. Taking it away would change basically the entire game.

I never said that Kotor 2 made up Force Wounds, just I don't think Surik would be really any different with or without it. If she had other things that would make her do the things, the Wound was able to make her do.

I mean, couldn't she have just been very charismatic to others which would then have them follow her? Or having a vast learning curve/Force potential like Anakin/Luke and others? The Wound I just don't see how it makes her different.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jan 26th, 2015 at 02:36 AM

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:32 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

@ares835: He had a awesomlicious mask so it was okay.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:33 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I never said that Kotor 2 made up Force Wounds, just I don't think Surik would be really any different with or without it.

Going to out on a limb here and say you never played KotOR 2. The entire plot was how Meetra was unique because of her Wound.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:35 AM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Going to out on a limb here and say you never played KotOR 2. The entire plot was how Meetra was unique because of her Wound.

No I have played Kotor 2 and the things I gathered from it was..

1. She was immune to Force Drain

2. She learned things very quickly

3. People followed her

If there's more to it, then please by all means point it out, because I didn't see much else other than those things.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:37 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Did you like, mute the dialogue or something?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:38 AM
Zenwolf

Did you like, mute the dialogue or something?

No, although I will admit, it's been awhile since I have played it. But those are the things I distinctively remember.

But if there's something I missed/forgot, I'm asking, point it out and tell me.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:40 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

How about like the whole plot that the Exile can kill the Force? Or: "It is said that the Force has a will, it has a destiny for us all. I wield it, but it uses us all, and that is abhorrent to me. Because I hate the Force. I hate that it seems to have a will, that it would control us to achieve some measure of balance, when countless lives are lost. But in you… I see the potential to see the Force die, to turn away from its will. And that is what pleases me. You are beautiful to me, exile. A dead spot in the Force, an emptiness in which its will might be denied."

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:42 AM
Zenwolf

Nvrm.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jan 26th, 2015 at 02:47 AM

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:45 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I never said that Kotor 2 made up Force Wounds, just I don't think Surik would be really any different with or without it. If she had other things that would make her do the things, the Wound was able to make her do.

I mean, couldn't she have just been very charismatic to others which would then have them follow her? Or having a vast learning curve/Force potential like Anakin/Luke and others? The Wound I just don't see how it makes her different.

Like Ant and I have said, it doesn't matter what Meetra does with the Wound, what matters is it's place in the story. Without the Exile being completely cut off from the Force Traya has no reason to think her special or to be so fascinated in her. And that drastically weakens that aspect of the story, probably would need to completely rewrite Traya to fit around that. It also cuts into the Exile's character. Having her just be a charismatic and super powerful Jedi would be ****ing boring. That's just Revan. Or some other generic douchebag Bioware protagonist. Having her instead be a deeply scarred war veteran affected in the Force in incredibly mysterious and strange ways that tie neatly into every single aspect of the plot, on the other hand, is really goddamn interesting and makes the story stronger.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:45 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Like Ant and I have said, it doesn't matter what Meetra does with the Wound, what matters is it's place in the story. Without the Exile being completely cut off from the Force Traya has no reason to think her special or to be so fascinated in her. And that drastically weakens that aspect of the story, probably would need to completely rewrite Traya to fit around that. It also cuts into the Exile's character. Having her just be a charismatic and super powerful Jedi would be ****ing boring. That's just Revan. Or some other generic douchebag Bioware protagonist. Having her instead be a deeply scarred war veteran affected in the Force in incredibly mysterious and strange ways that tie neatly into every single aspect of the plot, on the other hand, is really goddamn interesting and makes the story stronger.

/Sigh...

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I'm wording my posts correctly here. I'll just leave it at that..

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:47 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Having her just be a charismatic and super powerful Jedi would be ****ing boring. That's just Revan..

Avellone specifically said in the emails he didn't want the Exile to be like another "all-powerful" Jedi like Revan, but rather something original and unique. thumb up

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:47 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

You're asking why the Exile needed the Force Wound thing. That's why. Because it makes the game better and the story richer.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:48 AM
Zenwolf

You're asking why the Exile needed the Force Wound thing. That's why. Because it makes the game better.

I know that...but I'm not asking why.

Anyway, sorry my posts were worded wrong. So iI'm just gonna leave it alone.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 02:49 AM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

The concept of a Force Wound dates all the way back to Kenobi's "I felt a great disturbance in the Force..." quote in 1977. Avellone merely expanded on this idea with actual individuals.

Yeah, which would be fine if that's how Force Wounds are presented in game. Instead, they flipflop between "I feel nothing," to, "I feel screams," to, "You are killing me by standing here and I want you to have my babies/have your babies." Then the ending just rushes through with the absolute minimum of explanations.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 03:58 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

In the novelization of A New Hope the disturbance when Aldeeran was destroyed was called a wound.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 04:49 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote