KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars: Lords of the Sith

Star Wars: Lords of the Sith
Started by: |King Joker|

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 10 11 [12]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
McP

He also said to Yoda, that Vader will become more powerful then either of them. He had about 20 years for that, and still was clearly inferior to Palpatine.e.

Old Post May 2nd, 2015 04:06 PM
Click here to Send McP a Private Message Find more posts by McP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Folks, this is supposed to be a discussion about the book. Please direct further replies to the Film Dooku vs. Film Vader thread.

The North Remembers

Old Post May 2nd, 2015 04:06 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

quote: (post)
Originally posted by McP
He also said to Yoda, that Vader will become more powerful then either of them. He had about 20 years for that, and still was clearly inferior to Palpatine.e.

Sure. But when he said "soon" he was referring to the fact that Anakin wasn't his apprentice yet, not that he was weaker than Dooku.

Old Post May 2nd, 2015 04:08 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
McP

True

Old Post May 2nd, 2015 04:14 PM
Click here to Send McP a Private Message Find more posts by McP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Is it me, or is this book one of the best portrayals of Vader and Sheev? Honestly, it's so damn rad. Great book from Paul Kemp like always thumb up

Old Post May 2nd, 2015 04:16 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
McP

Originally posted by Lord Stark
Folks, this is supposed to be a discussion about the book. Please direct further replies to the Film Dooku vs. Film Vader thread.

Right. I haven't read it yet, so I would ask: are there a general statements which are giving some hype to the characters?

Old Post May 2nd, 2015 04:17 PM
Raptor22

Originally posted by Raptor22
Did Kemp mess up or did i miss something. When vader and the emperor's shuttle crashed there were the two of them, 4 royal guards- "the four royal guards lay strewn about the passanger cabin", and the pilot and co pilot. The pilot and co died, as well as 1 guard, then palpatine has one of the guard, whose severely injured shot. So 2 guards left.

"He stepped thru first, followed by the pair of royal guards, then his master."

Then one more dies when the freighters attack- "One slammed into the chest of a royal guard and vaporized all of him save for his helmet."

So down to 1. But then- "Vader, his master, and the two royal guards stood untouched amid the smoking craters of blasterfire that pockmarked the terrain."

Did i miss something?

Old Post May 2nd, 2015 06:51 PM
Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raptor22

Overall i thought the book was ok. Id give it a C. The parts/interaction with and between vader and sidious were excellent, and the Cham/Belkor dialogue was enjoyable, but the rest was pretty hard to get thru. I found myself bored and skimming thru a good deal.

A big part of the boredom came from kemp feeling the need to describe mundane details or spell thing out for us like were 5. Like when two ships crews would rendezvous hed be all like- the first ship landed and then the doors open and people come out, then the second ship landed and the doors opened and people came out.

And there were a bunch of times where i would read a sentence and be like no shit, why did u just explain something thats so obvious. For instance - "she's hurtin, all right eshgo said, meaning the ship." There's no need for the "meaning the ship" part. They were in the middle of talking about the ship, and eshgo just referred to it as "her" a paragraph earlier. I might be being a little nit-pickey but aside from the boringness of alot of it, it felt like we the reader were being spoon fed unnecessarily.

Old Post May 2nd, 2015 07:20 PM
Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Actually Fresh, Maul did beat Obi-Wan straight up, now yes he did lose to Obi-Wan but it was hardly because of any dueling skill.

Kenobi isn't the one who's seen falling to his "death" which is what a defeat is. Being stronger or more skilled doesn't mean you defeat someone. A defeat means you lost, and Maul clearly lost. Which was the point of the statement.

As to the book itself, I'm not quite done with it yet, but I enjoyed what I've read so far. I don't really set the bar that high when concerning Star Wars.

Old Post May 2nd, 2015 08:09 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by ares834
Sure. But when he said "soon" he was referring to the fact that Anakin wasn't his apprentice yet, not that he was weaker than Dooku.

Probably, but "more powerful" wasn't necessarily talking about the present. Because he wasn't Sidious's apprentice yet when Sidious said that. In any case it's Sidious's biased opinion justifying the loss of Count Dooku to Grievous.

Not that it matters because he was more "Powerful" than Kenobi as well but still got beat by him. So statements like that have little to do with feats and who was more impressive.

Originally posted by Lord Stark

thumb up

Last edited by Darth Thor on May 2nd, 2015 at 09:27 PM

Old Post May 2nd, 2015 09:25 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Probably, but "more powerful" wasn't necessarily talking about the present. Because he wasn't Sidious's apprentice yet when Sidious said that. In any case it's Sidious's biased opinion justifying the loss of Count Dooku to Grievous.

Not that it matters because he was more "Powerful" than Kenobi as well but still got beat by him. So statements like that have little to do with feats and who was more impressive.

Except he was more impressive considering he beat Dooku in their duel...

Old Post May 2nd, 2015 09:36 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by ares834
Except he was more impressive considering he beat Dooku in their duel...

Meh Dooku packed a pretty good punch before he went down. So I don't think everyone would see Anakin as clearly > Dooku. Especially when he stalemated Kenobi in the Force Push contest later in the film. Most people would see Anakin as being stronger, but Dooku as more refined, skilled and knowledgeable in the Force.

In any case it wasn't Machine Vader who beat Dooku (Not that he necessarily couldn't).

Old Post May 3rd, 2015 12:43 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Luminous
kusemono

Originally posted by Lord Stark No where in the films is it even hinted that Anakin got stronger after he got maimed.

"When I left you I was but a learner. Now I am the master."

It certainly is never said in the films that Anakin got weaker in the Force due to his injuries. In fact, no one was saying that until around 2004.

Originally posted by Zenwolf That doesn't mean before the electrocution that Vader was having conflict, it was just at that moment.

It was there before the electrocution, Luke felt it. The movie makes the point of equating conflict in Vader with there still being good in him. Clearly the good that was remaining in him is understood to have been there all along, so by the same token that should also apply to the conflict.

Last edited by Darth Luminous on May 5th, 2015 at 02:10 AM

Old Post May 5th, 2015 02:02 AM
Click here to Send Darth Luminous a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Luminous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote