KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Worst lightsaber duelists

Worst lightsaber duelists
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
McP

^
I would say, that it was superior power that enabled Bane to take an advantage over Kas'Im.
But I guess, that in DK's mind, Kas'Im was still a bit more skilled duelist, since Bane had no answer to his ultimate tactic.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2015 08:36 PM
Click here to Send McP a Private Message Find more posts by McP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

His "ultimate tactic" was deliberately sabotaging Bane's training by supressing knowledge of Jar Kai. Such a great duelist that he has to cheat in order to beat a less skilled opponent that even drove him back thumb up.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2015 08:42 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
McP

Well, that being said, they both suck.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2015 08:43 PM
Click here to Send McP a Private Message Find more posts by McP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Probably not Bane holding him back and driving him back is a good showing in spite of only training for a bit. He would've lost the duel but not because of any skill gap between them, but only because of how badly Kas'im needed to cheat. Kas'im is the one that sucks, tbh. Granted Bane never really ever got better as a duelist himself.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2015 08:46 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
McP

That wasn't cheat at all. Just Bane's lack of knowledge.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2015 09:19 PM
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

And Thanaton became a powerhouse later on and Kas'im was a master of all forms, including Jar Kai. Neither of those translate to 'worst duelists ever'. I mean, he wasn't very good, but not the worst of all time, either.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2015 05:04 AM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Han Solo.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2015 05:24 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Trainee Ben Skywalker.

He couldn't even make Luke ignite his saber, and was said to have been so bad that even youngling's had superior saber skills.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post May 6th, 2015 03:46 AM
Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Well, logically/consistently, most people really wouldn't be able to make Luke get out his blade.

But yeah, being worse than Rontos isn't very good.

Old Post May 6th, 2015 10:53 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
Based on what is he a poor duelist?

The fact that his own ally told him "stay back! you'll just get in the way!" Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I'm pretty sure it does actually. I'm pretty sure that skills in the use of a lightsaber pretty directly translate into being good in a fight. You know, since lightsaber techniques are kind of meant to be used in a fight. That's what they were literally developed for. It's like saying that a guy who's a fully trained marksman wouldn't be a good shot. I'm pretty damn sure that he would be. That's almost a redundant sentence because that's the same thing.

No offence but I think you're missing the point here.

ALL martial arts, armed or unarmed are (at their core) meant to be used in a fight (although obviously some have drifted away from that focus over time). The point is that simply knowing how to do the moves isn't enough BY ITSELF. Again, you can be able to perform the techniques perfectly but unless you possess understanding of timing, positioning, anticipating an opponent and so on, you're going to get beaten. I once read a quote, something to the effect of "knowing how to do the moves is useless unless you know WHEN and WHERE to use them."

That is what I meant when I said that "perfect form" by itself doesn't mean much in a real fight.

To use your metaphor, a fully trained marksman would be a good shot when he's shooting at bullseyes on a firing range but put him in live combat against guys shooting back and see how well he does there.

Also since Farfalla's style is highlighted as graceful, I think its most likely he was a Makashi duelist.

Sure, just not a very good one.

Last edited by chilled monkey on May 6th, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Old Post May 6th, 2015 11:26 PM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WildBantha88

Originally posted by carthage
Probably not Bane holding him back and driving him back is a good showing in spite of only training for a bit. He would've lost the duel but not because of any skill gap between them, but only because of how badly Kas'im needed to cheat. Kas'im is the one that sucks, tbh. Granted Bane never really ever got better as a duelist himself.
you can't cheat in lightsabe dueling lol. There are no guidelines that everyone must follow or else the lightsaber police will find you. Kas'im didnt NEED to train people in kar'kai. He wasnt morally or contractially bound to do so. That was just Kas'im being cunning and grabbing an advantage

Old Post May 6th, 2015 11:42 PM
Click here to Send WildBantha88 a Private Message Find more posts by WildBantha88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by chilled monkey

Sure, just not a very good one.

From the sound of it he seemed reasonable skilled, it's just he didn't have an answer for power and a good hit from Orbalisk Bane could knock the saber out of his hand even if he blocked.

But, if he was fighting someone not as strong, who couldn't do that, then he's in a pretty nice position.

His problem was mainly fighting a master who was also, like, twice as strong as him. Orbalisk Bane isn't exactly a normal foe strength wise.

Kinda like how when Savage Opress showed up, a lot of skilled foes had trouble with his strength.

Originally posted by Col. Valerian

Zayne Carrick.

Zayne, for all he was called incompetent at being a Jedi, was able to, by the end, hold on the defense pretty well against a skilled foe. Granted, that's just-defense, and Alek and Jarael were both better, but that's really no shame.

Originally posted by SunRazer
Also I don't even know why Volfe Karkko carries a lightsaber.

Hey, sometimes you just wanna kill someone weaker.

Old Post May 7th, 2015 12:56 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NTJack0
Ranger

Revan.

Old Post May 7th, 2015 04:49 PM
Click here to Send NTJack0 a Private Message Find more posts by NTJack0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote