KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Dragon Ball Super - Discussion Thread

Dragon Ball Super - Discussion Thread
Started by: Time Immemorial

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (632): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AuraAngel
Well under Goku's training he could potentially pass Buu. Besides it is all about Goku finally becoming a teacher rather than a pupil.

But who knows. Maybe Toriyama forgot Uub. He only had to draw him for one chapter.
I suppose Uub may have the potential to surpass Pure Buu--but unless he can surpass him by a few orders of magnitude(which is extremely doubtful, imo), then he would never be even remotely comparable to Goku's other sparring partners: Beerus and Whis. Ergo, nothing for him to be uber-excited about. Also, if Goku were merely concerned with the teacher/pupil lifestyle, he would have simply placed more emphasis on training Goten--that kid had ridiculous potential.

...Although Goku IS a terrible father who seemingly hates spending time with his family, so it's possible that he'd want nothing to do with Goten.

Lol, true. At this point I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Toriyama forgot he even created Uub, and never mentions him again. I mean, Uub was 10 years old during the 28th WMAT, which means he was born immediately after Pure Buu's death... Which means he was between 4-6 years old during BoG and RoF... Yet nothing about him was mentioned. sad

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 21st, 2015 at 01:21 AM

Old Post Jun 21st, 2015 01:07 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Well while Whis and Beerus are more worth while fighters it would be in Goku's nature to think Uub could surpass them. Or maybe Whis picks Goku to take his place as...whatever Whis's job is and then Goku decides to take Uub as his first pupil.

Well in Goku's defense we see at the end of Dragonball that Goten would rather date than train. Half Saiyans for all their potential just do not seem to wanna live their entire lives fighting. Guess it is the peaceful human blood.

Which is a shame. I rather like Uub's design. And he could potentially have been the strongest human ever(which in GT he was by a pretty wide margin) but alas. I really would like to see him.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2015 01:35 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Goku also says he doesn't know who would win between them and Mr Buu 10 years after Goku completely and utterly surpassed Mr Buu. Plus right after Kid Buu lost he said they had to train hard in case Mr Buu went evil... even though Goku was a ways beyond him by then.

Goku is generous with power levels to say the least.

The way the Uub fight would make sense is if Goku reverted all the way to base form and Uub was close to Kid Buu level already.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2015 01:37 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Well while Whis and Beerus are more worth while fighters it would be in Goku's nature to think Uub could surpass them. Or maybe Whis picks Goku to take his place as...whatever Whis's job is and then Goku decides to take Uub as his first pupil.
I like that concept, actually. The only problem is that Whis' job is tending to the God of Destruction... And Goku was training Uub under the premise that he would one day become the protector of earth. So that doesn't really mesh with Whis' duties.

...Though some creative tweaking could remedy that, I suppose. thumb up

Well in Goku's defense we see at the end of Dragonball that Goten would rather date than train. Half Saiyans for all their potential just do not seem to wanna live their entire lives fighting. Guess it is the peaceful human blood.
There is no excuse for Goku. He is a terrible parent/husband. stick out tongue

Which is a shame. I rather like Uub's design. And he could potentially have been the strongest human ever(which in GT he was by a pretty wide margin) but alas. I really would like to see him.
Based on his performance against Goku at the WMAT, as well as the others being shocked at his power, I'd say Uub already was the most powerful human.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2015 01:58 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Old Post Jun 21st, 2015 03:00 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Nice. thumb up

Interestingly enough, Beerus is the only character in Z who has insta-planet-busted on panel, aside from Pure Buu and RoF Freeza. It's also worth noting that he and Whis tanked said explosion completely unharmed:

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 21st, 2015 at 03:30 AM

Old Post Jun 21st, 2015 03:20 AM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Beerus is such a fun character.

And Gohan on the front might be promising.

Last edited by AuraAngel on Jun 21st, 2015 at 03:28 AM

Old Post Jun 21st, 2015 03:26 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

New "Dragon Ball Super" Preview.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 27th, 2015 at 04:47 PM

Old Post Jun 27th, 2015 04:41 PM
BloodRawEngine
Video Game Engine of War

My guess is those clips are all from the first/relatively early episodes. That's how teaser trailers usually are.

I'm curious though, with Whis being so much more powerful than even Beerus, I wonder how that lady Whis there with Champa compares. With Whis being pretty much the apex at this point in the franchise, I wonder if others of his race/species/whatever are in the same league. You think the rest of the Gods (or at least "destroyers", if Champa is another universe's God of Destruction) look the same as them? I mean, with twelve universes, you can only have so much variety between the same base for design.

Last edited by BloodRawEngine on Jun 27th, 2015 at 09:25 PM

Old Post Jun 27th, 2015 09:23 PM
BloodRawEngine is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRawEngine a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRawEngine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

I'm starting to think that Beerus and Champa are pets to Whis and his female counterpart, and Champa has been spoiled and overfed.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2015 09:54 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ That's a popular theory out there right now.

Another possibility is that Whis created Beerus.

If you're unfamiliar, Toriyama recently retconned Majin Buu's origin in an official interview--instead of being created by Bibidi, Buu has now simply existed since time immemorial as a force of destruction:
quote:
"Though in the manga Kaiōshin said that Bibidi made him, the truth is that one called “Buu” was not actually created by Bididi, but has existed since time immemorial. He cycled between rampages and long hibernation. During numerous iterations of this cycle, he absorbed the evil elements of mankind, becoming steadily more violent. Bibidi merely knew the means of calling Buu from out of his long slumber. Since the current Buu is a slightly different life-form due to the changes brought about when the evil Buu was expelled, it’s not known whether he’ll still go into long hibernation."

Source

Perhaps Majin Buu was Whis' first attempt at creating a God of Destruction..? Perhaps when Buu's destructive rampages became intolerable for Whis, he never woke him back up when he cycled into a period of hibernation(which is where Bibidi came into play), and went on to create another destructor: Beerus..? It's a long shot, I know, but given the above retcon, there are too many similarities between Buu and Beerus to ignore, imo.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2015 11:34 PM
Utrigita

It doesn't seem like Beerus has been "made", rather it seems like he has been chosen, just like Whis asked Goku to take the place of Beerus when he died. It's possible though.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 03:12 AM
Utrigita is currently offline Click here to Send Utrigita a Private Message Find more posts by Utrigita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Some DBZ ranting/questions for everyone:

1. How does Gohan's Mystic form actually work?

I found this post in another thread, which is how I thought it worked:

Originally posted by Astner

This picture explains it pretty well.

A few problems with this.

* SSJ and SSJ2 are not absolute levels, it is just a multiplier. Base form however is an absolute level (that can increase over time). For example, Base Level is power level of 9,000. SSJ is just 10x whatever the base level is.

* So why can't Gohan turn SSJ and get a 10x boost over his new mystic base form?

* I don't buy the argument that Gohan has reached his maximum potential in mystic form. It's basically saying even if he trained more, he would not get any stronger. But this is the only theory that is coherent. But I don't think this hard limit exists, or at least he has not reached it yet.

* If this "Mystic" level has capped his progression, it is actually worse off for him in the long run. Because by training and achieving the later Saiyan states he would eventually surpass his Mystic base level in the Buu Saga.

How can Goku in SSJGSS form not be stronger than Beerus?

Correct my figures if I am wrong, but in BoG:

Beerus uses about 70% of his power
Goku in God form using 100% looks like he was giving Beerus a good fight.

Also the Oracle Fish character states that Beerus would meet his rival. So it is not unreasonable to say they are in the same ballpark even if Beerus is superior.

Lets say if Beerus is 1, Goku SSJG is 0.5. I actually think Goku would be higher, but thats roll with that.

So in order for Goku SSJGSS not to be at least equal to Beerus, it would mean that the transformation does not even give him a 2x multiplier boost. What kind of weak ass transformation would that be?

I've heard many people say SSJGSS is just SSJG turning Super Saiyan. But the original Super Saiyan form gives a 10x boost, and it turns out SSJGSS transformation is mathematically relatively minor.

And note that Whis says that even with Goku AND Vegeta going SSJGSS that they MIGHT be able to take Beerus. The lack of certainty implies that the SSJGSS transformation gives a maximum boost of 1.6-1.7x IMO.

The reason I say this is because I'm fairly sure two 0.9's ganging up on a 1.0 should be an easy win.

I've read many nonsensical arguments, and it just sounds like a desperate defense. I just think they did not work this out properly when they wrote it.

That is all I have for now.

Last edited by Placidity on Jun 28th, 2015 at 07:53 AM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 07:49 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Placidity
* SSJ and SSJ2 are not absolute levels, it is just a multiplier. Base form however is an absolute level (that can increase over time). For example, Base Level is power level of 9,000. SSJ is just 10x whatever the base level is.

* So why can't Gohan turn SSJ and get a 10x boost over his new mystic base form?

* I don't buy the argument that Gohan has reached his maximum potential in mystic form. It's basically saying even if he trained more, he would not get any stronger. But this is the only theory that is coherent. But I don't think this hard limit exists, or at least he has not reached it yet.
A few things to consider...

1.) Kaioshin's unlock drew out latent powers in Gohan that he would have never been able to access/achieve by himself...

Elder Kaioshin: "My psychic powers allow me to draw out hidden abilities FAR beyond the limits of even the most skilled fighters" [...] "Beyond the limits, you know what that means?":
http://i.imgur.com/mmR0dg4.jpg

Basically, Gohan could have never reached that level on his own... So once he'd achieved said level, his power was essentially peaked(so far as we know.)

2.) In the original manga, Gohan's Mystic state took the place of his SSJ states...

Gohan: "How do I turn into that Ultimate Warrior?"
Elder Kaioshin: "You turn into that Super-Whatever(Super Saiyan.) Fire it up, just like that."
Gohan: "Just like turning Super Saiyan... Alright, I can do that...":
http://i.imgur.com/Haz8TjG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QtGgg4A.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eQf6Rc9.jpg
As you can see, when Gohan attempted to transform into a SSJ, his power increased astronomically, but he stayed in his base level.

Goku: "I don't believe it! You haven't changed on the outside... You're not even Super Saiyan, but... I didn't know this was even possible!"
Elder Kaioshin: "Transforming isn't everything. That Super-Whatever is just showbiz.":
http://i.imgur.com/OiyntEg.jpg

...Which explains why Gohan couldn't simply power-up to SSJ from his Mystic state and become 50x(not 10x) more powerful. His SSJ state(s) had simply been replaced by his new Mystic/base form.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 28th, 2015 at 01:36 PM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 01:24 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

How can Goku in SSJGSS form not be stronger than Beerus?

Correct my figures if I am wrong, but in BoG:

Beerus uses about 70% of his power
Goku in God form using 100% looks like he was giving Beerus a good fight.
Yes, but base Goku is weaker than SSJG Goku(Beerus made note of such.) The difference wasn't vast, mind you, but it was a difference nonetheless.

I'd say base Goku(BoG)~60% Beerus, at the most.

Lets say if Beerus is 1, Goku SSJG is 0.5. I actually think Goku would be higher, but thats roll with that.
No need for theoretical quantification--Toriyama already gave us numbers to work with:
Whis=15
Beerus=10
SSJG Goku=6(with the potential to increase as the battle progresses.)

Source

I've heard many people say SSJGSS is just SSJG turning Super Saiyan. But the original Super Saiyan form gives a 10x boost, and it turns out SSJGSS transformation is mathematically relatively minor.
SSJGSSJ is the result of a Saiyan who has accessed Godly ki, turning into a Super Saiyan. However, we have no clue what the SSJGSSJ multiplier is. It is certainly nowhere near the original/normal SSJ boost, though(which, as I mentioned in my previous post, was 50x base, not 10x.) I'd say it's around 2x Goku's new base, at the most.

But again: hopefully we'll find out more in the months to come(a new Guidebook is slated for release as well.)

And note that Whis says that even with Goku AND Vegeta going SSJGSS that they MIGHT be able to take Beerus. The lack of certainty implies that the SSJGSS transformation gives a maximum boost of 1.6-1.7x IMO.

The reason I say this is because I'm fairly sure two 0.9's ganging up on a 1.0 should be an easy win.
In DBZ, numbers are moot. A weaker opponent is a weaker opponent--and multiple weaker opponents would be stomped just as easily as a single weaker opponent. That's why SSJGSSJ Goku and SSJGSSJ Vegeta MUST be very close to 100% Beerus' level individually, otherwise he'd own them w/o effort.

I just think they did not work this out properly when they wrote it.
Well, yeah. DBZ isn't exactly known for consistency.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 28th, 2015 at 01:38 PM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 01:28 PM
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

^ Makes sense.

I think Gohan reaching his max is lame though. Basically he can never improve, and won't be of significance any more. As of the latest movie, he is a complete non-factor.

I still can't agree with that theory completely, because its saying he can no longer benefit from any zenkai boost either and there is no known limit for this ability. Given infinite time, a Saiyan would become infinitely powerful.

This theory also implies that Gohan has TWO base forms, which is a little weird. Since he can turn SSJ, and it only applies the multiplier to his normal base form and not Mystic.

It would be nice to work out what his normal base form limit would be. Then we could apply 400x multiplier from SSJ3 (which half Saiyans can achieve). I have a feeling it would be stronger than Mystic.

BTW, who is stronger, Buu Saga SSJ3 Goku or Mystic Gohan?

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 02:06 PM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Makes sense.

I think Gohan reaching his max is lame though. Basically he can never improve, and won't be of significance any more. As of the latest movie, he is a complete non-factor.
Elder Kaioshin's unlock gave Gohan more power than he could have ever achieved in a lifetime of training.

Dunno why you think it's lame that he may have been peaked..?

Given infinite time, a Saiyan would become infinitely powerful.
I'm not a fan of no-limits fallacies. And this only works if you assume the levels of Super Saiyan are also infinite in number(which there is no proof to support.)

This theory also implies that Gohan has TWO base forms, which is a little weird. Since he can turn SSJ, and it only applies the multiplier to his normal base form and not Mystic.
Only BoG inconsistently portrayed it that way--there's really no way to make sense of it. In the manga, Gohan could only activate his Mystic form--his SSJ states were gone(which makes sense.)

BTW, who is stronger, Buu Saga SSJ3 Goku or Mystic Gohan?
Mystic Gohan was VASTLY more powerful than SSJ3 Goku. That isn't my opinion, that is a fact.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 28th, 2015 at 02:24 PM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 02:19 PM
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Originally posted by Galan007

No need for theoretical quantification--Toriyama already gave us numbers to work with:
Whis=15
Beerus=10
SSJG Goku=6(with the potential to increase as the battle progresses.)

I think it was a mistake for him to state those numbers so early.

Now he has locked it in, and most likely will be contradicted soon.

Or if he tries to stick with it consistently then there won't be any meaningful transformations for a while. Because even at 2x he would smack Beerus around.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 02:24 PM
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Originally posted by Galan007

Mystic Gohan was VASTLY more powerful than SSJ3 Goku. That isn't my opinion, that is a fact.

Hm I'm no expert, but I thought this is widely debated?

If it is that much stronger, I guess I can begin to accept that it could be his limit.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 02:26 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Because even at 2x he would smack Beerus around.
Not really. SSJG Goku>base Goku. So base Goku might be around a 4.5-5 to Beerus' 10. Maybe less. Dunno.

Hm I'm no expert, but I thought this is widely debated?

If it is that much stronger, I guess I can begin to accept that it could be his limit.
Perhaps it's widely debated by people who don't know much about Dragon Ball..? Because canonically: Mystic Gohan>>>Super Buu=SSJ3 Gotenks>>>>SSJ1 Gotenks>SSJ3 Goku.

Last edited by Galan007 on Jun 28th, 2015 at 02:31 PM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 02:26 PM