KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Final Fantasy VII Remake

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Started by: AuraAngel

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
I would have much preferred a full and finished product, but I think that Square is not only testing the waters for this remake, but are also trying to capitalize, too.

I’m okay with multiple releases, to be honest. Especially since it’s just $50. I’m betting it’ll be three releases to complete the story.

I can’t wait for DLC.

Wait, 50 dollars an episode?

200 for a finished product seems pretty steep to me.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 01:21 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

So it’s only a few ours of gameplay??? WTF

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 01:28 AM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

The story is confirmed to be anywhere from 35 to 50 hours long, depending on your style of playing and pacing.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 03:22 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Split befween 4 episodes at 50 dollars each? Awful.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 03:38 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

The story on this first release.

Not the entire story.

Each release will be a massive story.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 10:58 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Impediment
The story on this first release.

Not the entire story.

Each release will be a massive story.

But still 200 dollars.

I suppose its the same thing they've been doing forever though. Mass Effect probably cost a thousand dollars between all three games and dlcs.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 12:37 PM
ares834

A thousand dollars? What the hell? It didn’t cost nearly that much. Probably under 400 even at full price.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 01:23 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ares834
A thousand dollars? What the hell? It didn’t cost nearly that much. Probably under 400 even at full price.

I may have exaggerated. 😝

This remake is a way better payday then the one 60 dollar game we got in 1997, any way you slice it. I don'f care how much story or content it has, a lot of single purchase games gave hundreds of hours of content for 60 bucks, like Tales of Symphonia. 80 hour campaign before you even touch the side stuff.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 01:30 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Which is less a knock on this game, as it is on the way the gaming industry operates as a whole.

One of reasons I prefer retro games, among others.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 01:35 PM
ares834

Now days, I actually prefer a shorter game to one that has been padded out with a ton of filler. For me, game length is less important than pacing. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy longer games. But only if they are well paced. Sadly, one of my isses with FF7R so far is the pacing. It's not terrible but there is definitely quite a bit of noticeable filler.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 02:02 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by cdtm
Which is less a knock on this game, as it is on the way the gaming industry operates as a whole.

One of reasons I prefer retro games, among others.

Except I bet most of the gaming industry wouldn't come anywhere close to putting as much effort in this remake despite it being Part 1. This is just the Midgar chapter and it costs over 100GB 'cause Tetsuya wanted to bring everyone and everything to full life. When you look at the original FF7, you realize making all those things in it translate over to current gen would cost a crap ton and a 30-50 hour length I say is not that bad considering it could've been made shorter.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 02:59 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good point. This may be the only option available with the ludicrously high cost of development these days.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 06:48 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

They said that they're treating each part in the series as it's own game, with a beginning, middle and end. A contained story. I'm 30something hours in and I'm still not at the [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Shinra Building yet, but once I finish it, I'll see if they were telling the truth.

This isn't like Hitman or Walking Dead.

And honestly? The sheer scale they're trying to show in this game means that replicating it for the likes of Junon would have delayed the game's release by years. Literally. I readily admit that I'm biased because I ****ing love FF7, but that just meant they had so much more room to completely **** it up.

So far, they haven't.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 12th, 2020 10:20 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

34 hours and counting. Still haven't touched the you know what building.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 13th, 2020 06:44 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

So just beat the game. Overall, it was pretty good. But the ending was straight trash.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2020 07:54 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Surtur
It was a big deal I think due to timing. PS1 had been out for a few years when FF7 first came out in 97. However, the N64 had just come out in 96 and so the console wars were in full swing again by the time FF7 hit. It was a big deal because it seemed to push the PS1 to it's limits and I think it was the first FF game that was on the PS1.

It is a fun game. When it comes to turn based RPG's it is one of the best, though honestly I am not a fan of that kind of RPG. Still I enjoyed it and it's one of those RPG's that is 60+ hours and has loads of extra stuff and you got the extra bosses you can find that are much harder than the final boss.

I still like Chrono Trigger and FF3 better. U ever play Chrono Cross the sequel to Chrono Trigger?

As someone who played Chrono Trigger, FFVI and FFVII all when they were initially released, I can tell you what made FFVII such a big deal. It was its presentation. At the time the presentation was unmatched for a JRPG. The cinematics were genuinely mindblowing and the graphics - particularly the prerendered backgrounds - looked gorgeous. And of course, the quality of the music was better than it had ever been because of the move to CD.

Also as someone else said, a part of it is also FFVII was a lot of people's first JRPG, and it made a great first impression. I remember the most impressive aspect to me, aside from the presentation, was the quality of the minigames and side content. Chocobo breeding and gold saucer were both really engaging at the time, and a huge step up from the kind of side content that FFVI and Chrono Trigger had.

All that said, I was more blown away by Chrono Trigger, and especially FFVI when they first came out. FFVI changed the way I looked at video games when I first played it when I was about 12 years old.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2020 08:35 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Got to the Honeybee Inn. It's ****ing amazing.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2020 02:34 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

So some more thoughts on the game. While following the original, it's great. Unfortunately, when it does't it's usually pretty mediocre. Some of the changes like giving Wedge, Biggs, and Jessie more development as well as the changes to Wall Market were good, but overall they are pretty bad. Most of the changes come off as filler at best.

And then there is Chapter 17 and onwards... The first half of the Shinra Tower is quite good. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: That holographic movie sequence was phenomenal. But everything after saving Aerith is straight trash. It's so damn sloppy. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Sephiroth shows up and no one questions it? Tifa isn't shocked to see him still alive? Barret doesn't ask who the hell he is or why Cloud wants to kill him? Then there is a filler dungeon thrown in which goes on and on and on. Finally, after that, we get to one of the best scenes in the original game with the President's death... But they completely ruin it here. The original was very atmospheric and creepy with the blood trail, the dead guards, and how it all culminates with the president, the guy who was built up the be the big villain, already dead. Here that's all tossed aside for some BS scene with Sephiroth stabbing both the President and Barret so that we can see the ghosts in action try to keep the original timeline in place. Awful. And then we get to the ending... It's nonsense pure and simple. It makes very little sense. Almost nothing is explained. It's just some ridiculous sequence completely divorced from everything that came before.

So, yeah, overall a pretty good game that is almost ruined by the ending. I'll probably buy part 2, but I can't say that I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by ares834 on Apr 14th, 2020 at 07:56 AM

Old Post Apr 14th, 2020 07:54 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ares834
So some more thoughts on the game. While following the original, it's great. Unfortunately, when it does't it's usually pretty mediocre. Some of the changes like giving Wedge, Biggs, and Jessie more development as well as the changes to Wall Market were good, but overall they are pretty bad. Most of the changes come off as filler at best.

And then there is Chapter 17 and onwards... The first half of the Shinra Tower is quite good. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: That holographic movie sequence was phenomenal. But everything after saving Aerith is straight trash. It's so damn sloppy. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Sephiroth shows up and no one questions it? Tifa isn't shocked to see him still alive? Barret doesn't ask who the hell he is or why Cloud wants to kill him? Then there is a filler dungeon thrown in which goes on and on and on. Finally, after that, we get to one of the best scenes in the original game with the President's death... But they completely ruin it here. The original was very atmospheric and creepy with the blood trail, the dead guards, and how it all culminates with the president, the guy who was built up the be the big villain, already dead. Here that's all tossed aside for some BS scene with Sephiroth stabbing both the President and Barret so that we can see the ghosts in action try to keep the original timeline in place. Awful. And then we get to the ending... It's nonsense pure and simple. It makes very little sense. Almost nothing is explained. It's just some ridiculous sequence completely divorced from everything that came before.

So, yeah, overall a pretty good game that is almost ruined by the ending. I'll probably buy part 2, but I can't say that I'm looking forward to it.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Original timeline? What is it, stealing ideas from Xenoverse? Do you create a character and work with a time patrol?

Last edited by -Pr- on Apr 16th, 2020 at 03:14 AM

Old Post Apr 14th, 2020 12:42 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Ok, I can see where they're going with this.

It's a half baked way to keep Aerith from perma-death. That's why they mostly seem to be singling her out. Either she gets resurrected, or never dies at all.

No idea why they couldn't simply retcon the story, if they wanted to change that outcome, but they wouldn't have these mini Time Patroler ghosts unless they had some serious changes in mind.

Last edited by -Pr- on Apr 16th, 2020 at 03:14 AM

Old Post Apr 14th, 2020 12:59 PM