KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » The Last of Us Part II

The Last of Us Part II
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Daaaaamn.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 10:46 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I thought that was Ellie at first but fan theories are saying it's Ellie's mom.

Thoughts?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 03:08 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
I thought that was Ellie at first but fan theories are saying it's Ellie's mom.

Thoughts?

That's definitely not Ellie, the last few images and trailers have been as her a few years older maybe at most. That's a full grown woman with a looooot of muscle definition and taller than her. But in the dark of the video I can see some similarities so it's very much possible.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 03:22 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yeah they confirmed that Ellie is not in this trailer. interesting idea that it's her mother, though. I think more likely it's just some new characters we'll be introduced to.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 07:52 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

A lot of snowflakes are crying over the level of violence in this game.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/30/...-violence-women

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 09:02 PM
ares834

erm

You completely missed their point. The issue isn’t that this is in the game, but that it’s in a trailer that’s trying to sell the game. I don’t agree with the article BTW.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 09:12 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

I think the article itself misses the point. They act as if the trailer is meant to excite and entice, it's not, it's meant to give a representation of the mood, atmosphere, and world that the game takes place in. It's a world of predator and prey, evil flourishing while the good die, and chaos as the new norm. Similar themes explored in the first game.

Also Druckmann has said that this game is meant to be darker and more negative and bleak than the first, which offers glimmers of hope and goodness winning out. This game won't have that. It seems that the trailer is an accurate representation of that.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 09:22 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I disagree. The trailer certainly is trying to entice you into buying the game. That’s the primary purpose of a trailer. Now, yes, it does this by showing the mood and atmosphere of the game. But ultimately, it is still about enticing the player.

Now, admittedly, I didn't actually read the entire article so I can't comment on its arguments.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 09:32 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

No it isn't. It is trying to intrigue, not entice. If it were attempting to entice then the goal would be for the viewer to walk away with positive feelings, obviously not the intent here.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 09:42 PM
ares834

Sure it is. Positive feelings for exploring the themes and atmosphere rather than the actual shown content.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 10:08 PM
BackFire

But exploring those themes and atmosphere are obviously not meant to give positive feelings. They're meant to leave you unsettled and upset, but get your attention.

Thing is this isn't even a normal trailer which is another reason the article is looking at it incorrectly. It's essentially a proof of concept and some world building. There's no hook or anything like a normal trailer. It's not like a launch trailer or something. It's just meant to show what the world and game will be like.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 10:12 PM
ares834

The trailer is trying to get you excited (positive feelings) to explore those themes. Regardless, I'll reiterate that I don't agree with the article's point.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 10:19 PM
BackFire

I mean I get what you're saying, but I simply don't think "entice" or "excite" is the correct term here.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 10:22 PM
Arachnid1

Originally posted by ares834
erm

You completely missed their point. The issue isn’t that this is in the game, but that it’s in a trailer that’s trying to sell the game. I don’t agree with the article BTW.
Is that a bad thing? The violence sold me more than the last trailer of Ellie playing a guitar did. I love the idea of this game going darker places than the last, and I'm glad it's a facet of the game that doesn't hold back. Plus, it's not like that's just happenstance. It will have a reason for occurring. The trailer already pretty heavy implied it to be religious violence, which means her claim that we got no reasoning is wrong.

That specific article seems to be more offended because it's violence involving women. The article tries to dismiss the fact that the person assaulting the women is a woman undercuts the main theme of the trailer being violence against females (though it fails at this; Naughty Dog tends to put women in positions of power too). We all know that's not what Naughty Dog is trying to portray there. Post apocalyptic games and movies tend to have pretty widespread violence. Women make up half the population, so it's not like the violence would be strictly among males. Her article is just some stupid idea for an opinion piece she knows will get clicks (especially this close to the release of a trailer for one of the currently most anticipated games in coming out).

PWNT

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 10:37 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I didn't miss the point.

BackFire pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 01:26 AM
Bro SMASH

I'm definitely watching out for more info about this.

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/358/5/d/ultimate_crossover_by_vanishingwalker-d5kg5ey.jpg

Old Post Nov 7th, 2017 02:48 AM
Bro SMASH is currently offline Click here to Send Bro SMASH a Private Message Find more posts by Bro SMASH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Is that a bad thing? The violence sold me more than the last trailer of Ellie playing a guitar did. I love the idea of this game going darker places than the last, and I'm glad it's a facet of the game that doesn't hold back. Plus, it's not like that's just happenstance. It will have a reason for occurring. The trailer already pretty heavy implied it to be religious violence, which means her claim that we got no reasoning is wrong.

That specific article seems to be more offended because it's violence involving women. The article tries to dismiss the fact that the person assaulting the women is a woman undercuts the main theme of the trailer being violence against females (though it fails at this; Naughty Dog tends to put women in positions of power too). We all know that's not what Naughty Dog is trying to portray there. Post apocalyptic games and movies tend to have pretty widespread violence. Women make up half the population, so it's not like the violence would be strictly among males. Her article is just some stupid idea for an opinion piece she knows will get clicks (especially this close to the release of a trailer for one of the currently most anticipated games in coming out).
Well said thumb up

Old Post Nov 7th, 2017 08:02 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

https://youtu.be/btmN-bWwv0A

I’m so excited for this. Everything looks incredible.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2018 04:44 AM
|King Joker| is currently offline Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I find it sad and hilarious how so many people are up in arms about Ellie's sexuality.

She's gay, people. Build a bridge and get over it.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2018 09:16 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

thumb up

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jun 12th, 2018 10:22 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote