KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Morals

Morals
Started by: Genesis-Soldier

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Emperordmb
LSDMB

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Does that mean you love me? embarrasment

My love of humanity extends to you regardless of your fuggotry smile

Why?

Because I don't believe that existence can precede meaning, but even looking aside from there being meaning behind us existing, regardless of that point there is obviously meaning within our emotions, values, and experiences due to the nature of self-awareness and what it means to subjectively experience the world. This isn't purely in a cosmological "we were created with a divine purpose" sense.

I wonder you square that against national pride.

There's a difference between me having a huge amount of respect for the values upon which my nation was founded upon and the idea that me existing within a nation makes me better than those who do not. I ascribe to the former but not the latter.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jun 5th, 2017 04:02 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MovieFreak92
Pulp Fiction Fanatic

People conflate the facts that people have different views on morality, and moral law can be violated, with the claim that morality is subjected.

Basically:

People have different concepts of morality, and violate moral laws which are said to be objective, therefor, morality must be subjective.

This doesn't follow, however. People can, and often do, have wrong views on objectively true statements, especially when they have reason to want their wrong views to be true. Similarly, the existence of free will makes moral law violable.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2017 05:47 AM
MovieFreak92 is currently offline Click here to Send MovieFreak92 a Private Message Find more posts by MovieFreak92 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Congratulations on defeating an argument nobody made. Strawman for the win!

Old Post Jun 7th, 2017 11:44 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Morals are but the rules of your beliefs.

What are the morals of your believes? What are your believes?

I am a Christian, therefore I rule myself by Christian morals for instance.

Whenever you go against your believes that is Immoral.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 08:19 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Morals are but the rules of your beliefs.

What are the morals of your beliefs? What are your beliefs?

I am a Christian, therefore I rule myself by Christian morals for instance.
That's only slightly less vague than saying "I am a human, therefore I rule myself by human morals."

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 11:05 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
That's only slightly less vague than saying "I am a human, therefore I rule myself by human morals."

Why?

Aren't your morals what you believe?

If you believe that drinking milk is bad then drinking it would be moral?

Morality has to do with our beliefs! The Romans had this big coliseums where people killed each other, while others laughed and cheer! They didn't call it immoral because they believed a slave's life was worth nothing more than laugh and cheers!

Old Post Nov 7th, 2017 01:33 AM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Emperordmb
My moral code boils down to love everyone and do what makes logical sense from there given that motivation, and this is something I've arrived at from looking at morality from a variety of perspectives and coming to the same conclusion, the same perennial truth if you will.

--------------------------------------

1. From the perspective of Christianity (my religion), Jesus stated his two greatest commandments were "Love God" and "Love yourself and other people," which essentially boils down to love everyone. So again, love everyone, and do what makes logical sense from there given that motivation.

2. From the perspective of my understanding of the moral compass that I have attained from experiences with psychedelics, I think there are two primary motivational forces in man, one of which is love, and the other is a visceral fear that one's own existence is without meaning.

Love stems from an embracement of one's own existence through self-awareness, and self-awareness is the ultimate truth because its the one thing we can be 100% certain of (Rene Descartes came to this conclusion of the ultimate truth pretty aptly). From there it follows that a person would conclude that if they exist and experience stuff then there is meaning either causing or at the very least within their lives, which leads them to love, which is the motivation behind all good.

The nihilistic fear that one's own existence has no meaning is the most irrational thought ever and directly contradicts the ultimate truth, which is why I would call the thought that one's existence is meaningless the ultimate lie. From the ultimate lie/fear, springs insecurity, self-doubt, and self-loathing, which from then motivates arrogance so people can try and escape this fear with an inflated image of themselves, and arrogance/pride is ultimately what motivates and allows people to justify all evil.

This is heavily reflected in Christian theology, as God introduces himself to Noah as "I am that I am" (a statement of self-awareness which is the ultimate truth), Jesus saying that his greatest commandment is to act out of love (which is the motivation behind all moral action), and Jesus saying to be humble and Christian theology teaching that pride is the father of all sin.

So from this perspective I come to the same conclusion of love everyone and do what makes sense from there since that motivation is based on the ultimate truth whereas the motivation for evil is based upon the ultimate lie.

3. If I am to look at the nature of meaning philosophically, regardless of my religious perspective, it appears that meaning only exists within or in relation to self aware beings. Thus acting in the interest of what meaning exists within the universe would mean valuing that meaning and acting in the best interest of that meaning. This again leads me to the conclusion of love everyone and do what makes logical sense from there.

4. Kant suggested that to be moral one should act in a way that if everyone acted in such a way it would lead to the best end result, or in other words in a way most conducive to progress. With the goal of progress in mind, Aldous Huxley posited the final end principle, which was that the primary principle in human actions should be a consideration of whether or not said action would contribute to the best possible end for oneself and others... which once again leads me to love everyone and do what makes logical sense from there.

In this respect, I don't believe morality is subjective, I believe it is objective, and even if I factored out my belief in God I would still find morality to be an objective thing.

The objective moral code is acting out of a motivation of love for everyone and doing what makes the most sense out of every possible action, however this objective moral code is unknowable to us because we are not omniscient beings. Thus functionally morality is subjective even though in actuality it is objective, and I believe it is everyone's responsibility to act out of love which is the objectively moral motivation and to try and do what makes the most sense in service to that motivation.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Nov 7th, 2017 01:44 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Re: Morals

Originally posted by Genesis-Soldier
morals
what r those

Old Post Nov 7th, 2017 09:16 AM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Re: Re: Morals

what r those
The things people mean when they spell out in YouTube comments: "LOL I love how the morale of the story is___"

Old Post Nov 14th, 2017 03:36 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

^ Well, the morale of the story could be low. What if everyone in the story is depressed?

Old Post Nov 14th, 2017 12:53 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

But it was a Care Bears episode. Cheer Heart kept everyone's spirit up!

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 12:43 AM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

^ Well high morale then

Old Post Nov 15th, 2017 12:19 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote