KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » A question staff

A question staff
Started by: Dude111

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

quote: (post)
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Raz tinkered with the site several times, so maybe he messed it up even further

You're sure its 1) format, 2) size and 3) resolution requirements are all okay?

Try to convert it to some other format and try again.

Alternatively, upload it on some image hosting site (or as an attachment in your email box), download it from there and try again.

Stop running, Whirly.

Change your damn avi.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2021 12:48 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

@dude111

At least upgrade to Windows XP. You'll still be able to use your old browsers.

Out of curiosity, what processor are you running?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 20th, 2022 09:10 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Dude loves that old operating system, there's no way you can convince him to upgrade.

Still, I believe there are some alternatives to MyIE2, such as old versions of K-Meleon or Opera --- but I can't be sure without testing it myself.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2022 02:30 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Seems like a hassle and the speeds must be cringe worthy.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2022 10:38 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Sure. It's quite rare these days. Assuming he's not trolling us, of course, but his screenshots and MyIE2 files he sent me once tell me he's probably not.

In the end, it depends on what you're using your computer for, really.

If he just wants it for KMC forums and, let's say, old games (which may not be fully compatible with newer OS, as Windows is really infamous for it) and writing some simple documents using MS Office 97, then hey, it's a good machine.

There are ways to bypass the RAM limit on old Windows-es, but that requires some tinkering.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2022 06:09 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Yeah, 98 has a max ram of 1gb. That's just inconceivable these days.

Your XP can at least hold what people consider a functional minimum these days, 16gb. I'm assuming you're running 64bit XP.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2022 10:05 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

I'm a proud owner of the 32-bit XP machine, actually.

64-bit XP has a lot of issues in different areas. And by that I mean, it's much harder to find & download modernized software for it.

Such as using a browser mimicking the functionality of Chrome (version 87.0.4280.66) from the end of year 2020. Meaning most sites work as they should. Including the web conferencing ("webinars"), so crazy popular now in the era of COVID-19.

Unless we're talking about video games or advanced programs, then there is no trouble doing the usual web-browsing, instant messaging, video watching stuff with much less RAM. Keep in mind XP in itself is not a very resource consuming system, unlike its successors.

Of course, the right virtual memory settings and a good video card do contribute a lot.

Anyway, bypassing the RAM limit is not impossible:

https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspo...-ram-patch.html

Even for Windows 98 (to a much lesser degree, but still):

https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspo...-ram-patch.html

--
Dude told me once how he downloads the YouTube videos if he wishes to see them --- seems like too much hassle, as you said earlier, but if it works for his needs... then who are we to judge?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2022 12:55 AM
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

quote:
Originally posted by Robtard
Yeah, 98 has a max ram of 1gb. That's just inconceivable these days.
Ya Im glad I dont do very much Rob,I only have 64Megs of Ram and 8 are shared with the monitor so really I only have 56.8 or so (Plus the swap file which sometimes gets huge)

Why does 98/98se only have a 1GB limit does anyone know?

Old Post Mar 16th, 2022 12:27 AM
Dude111 is currently offline Click here to Send Dude111 a Private Message Find more posts by Dude111 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

You never thought of trying to bypass said limit, as described above?

Old Post Mar 16th, 2022 09:41 AM
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Ya you probably could,I have read people doing so........

Old Post Mar 18th, 2022 03:36 AM
Dude111 is currently offline Click here to Send Dude111 a Private Message Find more posts by Dude111 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

If you don't feel like doing it yourself, ask in a few computer shops - they shouldn't charge you too much for it.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2022 05:59 PM
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

My only worry would be really mocking something up by doing so....

Old Post Apr 19th, 2022 11:08 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Give it some thought, all I'm saying thumb up

Old Post Apr 25th, 2022 11:19 AM
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I suppose anything is possible if someone really wants to do it...

They probably figured 98 doesnt need that much ram because its smaller in size than the later OS's,I dunno.......

Old Post Oct 20th, 2023 08:09 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Welcome back to KMC.

Almost anything, yes.

Needless to say, many old OS would be much more popular if they weren't deprived of the official support.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2023 02:20 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

smile

Old Post Nov 6th, 2023 04:38 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Ya you might think if someone paid them they would continue support if one wanted it!

Old Post Dec 13th, 2023 08:46 PM