KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Respect for Our Heroes

Respect for Our Heroes
Started by: Horrificus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Horrificus

Respect for Our Heroes

To those Heroes who have been lost to the
"Enemies from Beyond the 4th Wall"

...you will be Remembered and Respected.

Beyond the 4th Wall, there are enemies. They affect comic book universes and they lack heart, logic, creativity or respect.

If you are like me, you have spent recent years watching as some of the comic book heroes, with whom you have grown up and possibly even grown old with, get killed off, needlessly replaced, or undergo entire personality changes that seem to have more to do with future comic book profits, than character enhancement.

Recently, I found out that another character I have followed since I was a kid, is being done away with. He is just one of many who have been switched for more "commercially profitable" genders, racially inclusive branding-types and any other group designations that might help to make the comic book companies look like "really good guys". Thus, ensuring that they continue to rake in as much money, from as many different social sources as possible.

I have no problem with trying to include as many different types of people as possible, into our world of heroes, villains, time and space. I only with that, instead of erasing characters that have been with me for my entire life, they might just try harder to create new characters for the new audience/readers.

To tge following heroes, who have either been killed off, switch for the new public approval, or just changed to be more "hip",
I salute you.

And thanks for always being there for me.

Thor Odinson
Quasar, Wendell Vaughn
Savage Hulk

If you care to comment, or have lost a character to those who lurk beyond the 4th wall, feel free to show your respect.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2016 01:49 PM
Horrificus is currently offline Click here to Send Horrificus a Private Message Find more posts by Horrificus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Horrificus

I'm scratch my bal..., I mean I'm scratching my head, wondering how it can b possible that NOBODY has and opinion about this, in any way.

Even my 13 year old daughter has a strong opinion about these developments.

Strange.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2016 03:20 PM
Horrificus is currently offline Click here to Send Horrificus a Private Message Find more posts by Horrificus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One_Angry_Scot
----

I could definitely say the Sentry. Wasn't seen for ages after SIEGE until Rick Remender brought him back as a Horsemen of Death and gave him a really good role. Then he flew off never to be seen again. And of course Rick Remender left Marvel so he couldn't carry on his plans. I heard rumors he got booted out somehow.

And then Tom "Arsehole" Brevoort shit talks Sentry on his tumblr saying he is less than an amoeba etc. So I think he's lost to the world for now.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2016 09:30 PM
One_Angry_Scot is currently offline Click here to Send One_Angry_Scot a Private Message Find more posts by One_Angry_Scot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

quote: (post)
Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
And then Tom "Arsehole" Brevoort shit talks Sentry on his tumblr saying he is less than an amoeba etc.

Context?

--
Also, no disrespect horri, but this should be moved to the Comic Books sub-forum.

#backseatmoddingisaddicting

Old Post Jul 29th, 2016 02:14 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One_Angry_Scot
----

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Context?

--
Also, no disrespect horri, but this should be moved to the Comic Books sub-forum.

Somebody asked him a question about how did he see the Sentry in Marvel power rankings and that's how he replied.

Somebody also once asked could Sentry survive the destruction of the Universe and he said yes because he's like a cockroach.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2016 09:16 AM
One_Angry_Scot is currently offline Click here to Send One_Angry_Scot a Private Message Find more posts by One_Angry_Scot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RealityWarper
Restricted

Account Restricted

Tom Brevoort was probably upset because he received a lot of battle boards questions at this time.

We don't even see the top of the iceberg because this guy is probably insulted all the time for no reason by rabid fanboys.

I'm the somebody who asked him something like "Where do you place Sentry in the food chain ?" and he answered that he is like amoeba.

It's ok.
It's a fictional character.

People just must stop to annoy Tom Brevoort with Battleboards questions.

If that was the 30 000 message that he received in one week about the power-level of the Sentry I totally understand that he was upset especially because Marvel repeated a lot of time that there is no limit about his power-level.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2016 01:46 PM
RealityWarper is currently offline Click here to Send RealityWarper a Private Message Find more posts by RealityWarper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Hank Pym, Cyclops, Superman for about the last 2-3 years. Wally West.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 29th, 2016 01:48 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Horrificus

Context?

--

no disrespect taken and thank you for the post.

Wherever the mods want to throw this thing is fine with me.
I just felt it was important to put this out there.

If we go by numbers, (due to the billions-strong population of our planet), even if we isolate the number of comic book readers since the beginning of the genre, then break it down further to isolate the griup of readers who could say they have actually been effected in some way, by these tales, I believe it is fair to say that these characters andl storylines have literally impacted different cultures across our world, more than all of our different historical mytholigies combined. (Greek Roman, etc,)
For a fact.
It would b unthinkable for them to b changed or expunged, tue to the current political climate. This isn't due to the characters being sacred and untouchable, but because they r reflections of heroic and positive concepts from previous mindsets and r important sources of healthy fiction, (in most cases).
The alteration and deletion of these characters and concepts, in the manner that this is currently happening, is basically giving the message that they were, in fact mistakes, negative, or misguided.
And, again, when dealing with the huge numbers of readers, is a very blatant and far-reaching breakdown of heroic figures and values that have been important to an equally vast number of people, even if they have been largely unaware of the impact.

Simply take look at some religious, political and entertainment personalities from our past, who have had a positive effect on society. Now, imagine if they were removed, switched-out or altered into something more current or politically appealing.
I will leave it there...

Old Post Sep 15th, 2016 01:08 AM
riv6672

If the change is well done and/or logical, i most often dont have a problem with it (mind you, i still might not read the character, though if i preferred the original, but i wont go around saying the change is bad in and of itself). This is not usually the case, though, IMO.

A non comics example, but i believe it applies across genres:
Just recently i was discussing possible new Bond actors and someone was pushing Idris Elba. When i asked why, his reasoning boiled down to "we need a brother up in that mug", then gave me the nod & wink like i was supposed to "get" it because i'm black.
Uh, no. Thats not a good reason.
Some characters are supposed to be a certain demographic.
I dont want/wouldnt buy a black James Bond any more than i would a white John Shaft.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2016 10:05 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ASGARDIANBRONY

The beings from beyond the 4th wall have meddled and destroyed many a character, but none more so than the gods of Asgard. Thor was marvels big gun, its answer to superman, now he is an unworthy punching bag. Loki was one of the greatest villains ever, now he cant even lie! Odin was the god of marvel and in many ways fashioned after the judeo-Christian God as all-wise and all-powerful, now he gets beat up by that cancer jane-thor. Its disgraceful! may marvel pay for its insolence and turn from their ways.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2016 03:32 PM
ASGARDIANBRONY is currently offline Click here to Send ASGARDIANBRONY a Private Message Find more posts by ASGARDIANBRONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Horrificus

Originally posted by riv6672

Some characters are supposed to be a certain demographic.
I dont want/wouldnt buy a black James Bond any more than i would a white John Shaft.

For some reason, what u posted in this paragraph, really hits home.
A Black James Bond and a White John Shaft?
Blasphemy!!!

And keep an eye out for-

Enter the Dragon 2017
starring Charlize Theron!!

Last edited by Horrificus on Sep 22nd, 2016 at 04:33 AM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2016 04:30 AM
Horrificus

Originally posted by ASGARDIANBRONY
The beings from beyond the 4th wall have meddled and destroyed many a character, but none more so than the gods of Asgard. Thor was marvels big gun, its answer to superman, now he is an unworthy punching bag. Loki was one of the greatest villains ever, now he cant even lie! Odin was the god of marvel and in many ways fashioned after the judeo-Christian God as all-wise and all-powerful, now he gets beat up by that cancer jane-thor. Its disgraceful! may marvel pay for its insolence and turn from their ways.

Yup, u feel it.

It's comparable to somebody rewriting Lord of the Rings, with all new, demographically sensitive character replacements.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2016 04:37 AM
riv6672

Originally posted by Horrificus
For some reason, what u posted in this paragraph, really hits home.
A Black James Bond and a White John Shaft?
Blasphemy!!!

And keep an eye out for-

Enter the Dragon 2017
starring Charlize Theron!!

Thanks.

Also, i'd...watch that 'Dragon remake. embarrasment

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2016 04:52 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RealityWarper
Restricted

Account Restricted

Context?

--

I asked Tom Brevoort where Sentry is in the food chain and he said that he was less than an amoeba.

I think that at some point he was pissed off by the battle board questions and that he wanted to ignore everything.

When people ask him how powerful a character is he always answer "beaucoup powerful" whatever the character is.

"Beaucoup" means a lot in french.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2016 12:32 PM
RealityWarper is currently offline Click here to Send RealityWarper a Private Message Find more posts by RealityWarper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

It means shit in english.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2016 08:43 PM
ASGARDIANBRONY

Originally posted by Horrificus
Yup, u feel it.

It's comparable to somebody rewriting Lord of the Rings, with all new, demographically sensitive character replacements.

indeed. I don't get it, marvels movies are better than their comics now! I hope the godbutcher arc was not the last great thor story written.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2016 02:48 PM
ASGARDIANBRONY is currently offline Click here to Send ASGARDIANBRONY a Private Message Find more posts by ASGARDIANBRONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Horrificus

I think it's "curtains" for many Foundation Characters in comics. And, it's obviously moving in the direction of specific goals that belong to a wave of new thinking.

Wow! Young Comic Book Readers. That is a pretty large group of individuals. They get to observe the toppling of a long list of heroic figures and embrace the process, without really understanding how we got here, where we came from, why these were our heroes, or y they have been effectively assasinated.

Erase an entire history. A mind-set. A culture?

Old Post Mar 16th, 2017 03:51 AM
Horrificus

I was right. But its too late.

I was right.
Does anybody remember this thread?

And, Im not happy about it.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2019 06:44 AM
Horrificus

If you want to rip the heart out of any successful society,

You destroy thier Lore, thier Inspirations, thier History and thier Heroes.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2019 06:54 AM
Horrificus

Bumpola

Old Post Jul 11th, 2020 06:25 AM