KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What philosophers do you most agree with?

What philosophers do you most agree with?
Started by: Emperordmb

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Emperordmb
LSDMB

What philosophers do you most agree with?

Which philosophers do you tend to agree with most?

Which have ideas and theories that resonate strongly with you, that you agree with, etc.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2016 02:01 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

More than anyone else, I most agree with Jesus. The path he walked and his teachings for me elucidates the very meaning and purpose of life (love) and points out what can mislead us (pride).

But Jesus aside, I've found that there are five other philosophers that really resonate with me:

Plato: The Allegory of the Cave first of all is a really resonant story, as it elucidates much about the nature of reality, and the process of man's ignorance, understanding, reaction to truth, and evolution to higher understandings of reality. Then there's also Plato's Theory of Forms, the argument that forms or ideas (non-physical but substantive things) represent a reality truer than the physical universe.

Saint Irenaeus: Irenaeus set forth the Soul Making theory to counter the argument against God commonly known as the problem of evil. The Soul making theory is that this imperfect universe exists so that the human soul can be forged with its own individual identity and will, and so the human soul can evolve closer to a state of perfection. Essentially, that God uses an imperfect physical universe to bring each of our souls from a state of non-existence (pre-birth), to a state of imperfect existence where we evolve (life), culminating in a state of perfect existence (heaven).

Saint Thomas Aquinas: He set forth the cosmological argument, that based on the nature of causality that our physical universe functions on, the physical universe on its own can't justify its own existence, and that there has to be some transcendent higher power not only above the physical universe but that caused it, and that this higher power would be exempt from the principal of causality because this higher power is what established said principal to begin with.

John Locke: Argued that people are created equal and endowed with inalienable rights by God, including our existence, our freedom, and the way we attach ourselves to and make use of this world. He also pointed out the problem of freedom, that each person has power and that our choices inherently interfere with those around us, justifying government as something we conform to to protect our individuality. He also argued that since the government is only given power and justification by the people it governed, it should exist for said people, and function in a way in which the power of the government is influenced by the collective will of the governed.

Alduous Huxley: Argued the merit of perennial philosophy, that you can find universal truths amidst varying perspectives, something that can be applied to drugs and religion. He also argued that mind altering substances have great potential for exploring the depths and gateway of human perception in ways that can allow us to better understand and experience ourselves and the external world. He also argued for the importance of suffering and how that contributes to our understanding and experience of our own existence, as well as our evolution. Finally, he seems to argue that progress is built upon the balance between individuality and conformity.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2016 02:36 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The teachings of Jesus had a lot in common with Buddha as well. Stuff about the nature of reality and all that is interesting and nice, but the most practical stuff does come from people like Jesus, where the logic is essentially "don't be a dick".

That is actually something I find genuinely depressing about Jesus. Whether or not God exists..a whole lot of bad things were done in the name of Jesus and he wasn't about that.

Last edited by Surtur on Nov 3rd, 2016 at 02:47 PM

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2016 02:41 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
The teachings of Jesus had a lot in common with Buddha as well. Stuff about the nature of reality and all that is interesting and nice, but the most practical stuff does come from people like Jesus, where the logic is essentially "don't be a dick".

That is actually something I find genuinely depressing about Jesus. Whether or not God exists..a whole lot of bad things were done in the name of Jesus and he wasn't about that.

Yeah, too many people try and use their outlook on the world to justify some sense of superiority over other people instead of embracing love.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2016 03:03 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Emperordmb
More than anyone else, I most agree with Jesus. The path he walked and his teachings for me elucidates the very meaning and purpose of life (love) and points out what can mislead us (pride).

But Jesus aside, I've found that there are five other philosophers that really resonate with me:

Plato: The Allegory of the Cave first of all is a really resonant story, as it elucidates much about the nature of reality, and the process of man's ignorance, understanding, reaction to truth, and evolution to higher understandings of reality. Then there's also Plato's Theory of Forms, the argument that forms or ideas (non-physical but substantive things) represent a reality truer than the physical universe.

Saint Irenaeus: Irenaeus set forth the Soul Making theory to counter the argument against God commonly known as the problem of evil. The Soul making theory is that this imperfect universe exists so that the human soul can be forged with its own individual identity and will, and so the human soul can evolve closer to a state of perfection. Essentially, that God uses an imperfect physical universe to bring each of our souls from a state of non-existence (pre-birth), to a state of imperfect existence where we evolve (life), culminating in a state of perfect existence (heaven).

Saint Thomas Aquinas: He set forth the cosmological argument, that based on the nature of causality that our physical universe functions on, the physical universe on its own can't justify its own existence, and that there has to be some transcendent higher power not only above the physical universe but that caused it, and that this higher power would be exempt from the principal of causality because this higher power is what established said principal to begin with.

John Locke: Argued that people are created equal and endowed with inalienable rights by God, including our existence, our freedom, and the way we attach ourselves to and make use of this world. He also pointed out the problem of freedom, that each person has power and that our choices inherently interfere with those around us, justifying government as something we conform to to protect our individuality. He also argued that since the government is only given power and justification by the people it governed, it should exist for said people, and function in a way in which the power of the government is influenced by the collective will of the governed.

Alduous Huxley: Argued the merit of perennial philosophy, that you can find universal truths amidst varying perspectives, something that can be applied to drugs and religion. He also argued that mind altering substances have great potential for exploring the depths and gateway of human perception in ways that can allow us to better understand and experience ourselves and the external world. He also argued for the importance of suffering and how that contributes to our understanding and experience of our own existence, as well as our evolution. Finally, he seems to argue that progress is built upon the balance between individuality and conformity.

Well, it's time to extend my list to include two more philosophers;

René Descartes: Descartes concluded that the only thing that one could be 100% certain of was their own existence, coining the phrase "I think therefore I am,"(self-awareness in my personal philosophy being the ultimate truth), and suggested morality should be in service to the existence of self-aware beings. Descartes was also a dualist, and one of the first mainstream dualists to suggest the relationship between the immaterial soul and the physical body was not a unilateral one. Finally, Descartes had a view of God's existence derived from an observance of the most perfect and transcendent qualities in the universe and argued the necessity of existence being predicated on something transcendent.

Jordan Peterson: Peterson makes this list due to his exploration of Christian theology much more so than his stance against modern social justice (though the latter certainly doesn't hurt), Peterson's exploration of the Biblical stories has done quite a bit to expand my own perspective as a Christian, and Peterson's exploration of the Christian concept of the Logos in particular has allowed me to expand my understanding of the nature of God and why I believe in God. Additionally, Jordan Peterson has in great depth torn apart and demolished the philosophy of post modernism, which is the philosophy I find most contemptible (in fact, the closest Biblical parallel I can find to post-modernism is literally Satan). Finally Peterson's emphasis on personal responsibility and its relation to progress on an individual and societal level complements both Aldous Huxley's view of progress, and the Irenaean theodicy which seeks to answer the problem of evil.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2017 03:41 AM
Lone Gunman

Friedrich Nietzsche

Old Post Oct 16th, 2017 04:37 PM
Lone Gunman is currently offline Click here to Send Lone Gunman a Private Message Find more posts by Lone Gunman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

As a late teens-early twenties college student who just got exposed to introductory philosophimophizing, I have to say that I actually find myself agreeing with Nietzcshe. And sometimes I dabble in Sartre.

Also I can only talk about nihilism in a high-rise terminal. Like everything is a question.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 04:13 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Albert Camus and Emil Cioran.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 04:33 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Lobo

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 06:12 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 07:45 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

That would be the only reason I would watch a Simpson's episode these days.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 07:48 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

The great Patrice O'Neal and George Carlin

Old Post Oct 27th, 2017 02:29 PM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree with bits and pieces from all. "I can see that" is a phrase that goes through my mind while reading about any philosophy.

Most recently it was Sam Harris

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 02:25 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Not all of these are academic philosophers but:

Eliezer Yudkowsky and "Scott Alexander"
Sam Harris
To some degree - the stoic and epicurean philosophers, John Stuart Mill, Voltaire, probably a bunch of others I'm missing

Old Post Jan 10th, 2018 03:03 AM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I've actually been thinking about looking some into Saint Augustine, David Hume, Immanuel Kant, and Carl Jung. I might expand my list after I've done so.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 11:16 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

i for one, see eye to eye with the prophet mohammed on many issues.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Jan 14th, 2018 at 05:34 PM

Old Post Jan 14th, 2018 05:31 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

So you, too, would like to murder Jews, have sex with 9-year olds and wage wars in the name of the beloved?

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jan 14th, 2018 06:00 PM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by MythLord
So you, too, would like to murder Jews, have sex with 9-year olds and wage wars in the name of the beloved?
He didn't say he was a Trump voter.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2018 01:52 AM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Interesting thread. I like Alvin Plantiga when it comes to the contemporaries.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2021 04:58 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

John Locke, Henry George, if I think of any others, I’ll mention them.

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Jul 21st, 2021 04:29 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote