KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Anakin Skywalker's Physical Strength (Comparison)

Anakin Skywalker's Physical Strength (Comparison)
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MythLord
Diamond

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ILS
Savage = Vader > Anakin > Kenobi > Grievous > Ventress > Dooku

I shall pray for you...

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 08:08 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Anakin did push back a magnaguard's arm mid punch too.

Again though, it said that Dooku no-longer tried to block Anakin's strikes head-on; not that he couldn't. It was an attempt to save energy. How do we know this wouldn't be the case if Dooku fought Windu or Yoda for a longer period of time? Maybe he was contending with their strength at the beginning while he could spend his reserves lavishly. Don't see how this means Anakin>Sidious/Yoda>Grievous in strength.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 08:39 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

-

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Nov 15th, 2016 at 08:50 PM

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 08:44 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Kurk
Again though, it said that Dooku no-longer tried to block Anakin's strikes head-on; not that he couldn't. It was an attempt to save energy. How do we know this wouldn't be the case if Dooku fought Windu or Yoda for a longer period of time? Maybe he was contending with their strength at the beginning while he could spend his reserves lavishly. Don't see how this means Anakin>Sidious/Yoda>Grievous in strength.

No, you're reading it the wrong way.

The cause had nothing to do about saving energy.

Anakin's strikes were powerful enough that Dooku could not defend against them - all he could do is slant them to the side and retreat. It states he "no longer tried" because Dooku tried earlier. However, he was completely unsuccessful. Thus, as Anakin continued his attack, it got to a point where Dooku didn't have the strength to even attempt to directly block Anakin's blows (like he did against Yoda) or strike back (like he also did against Yoda). The fact that Dooku had to "respond his reserves lavishly" to avoid being outright killed (note the text doesn't state he uses it to defend himself as expected in a combat situation - he uses it to avoid absolute death) by Anakin's strength explicitly demonstrates a distinction between his other fights, where the text, comic, and visual representations do not remotely convey such. Hell, a distinction can be found by sheer virtue of the fact that Anakin's third blow was already bending Dooku's lightsaber back far enough to injure him. This was never the case for his confrontations against Yoda, Mace Windu, Grievous, etc.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 08:58 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

Originally posted by Petrus
Anakin indeed has beastly strength. But he ain't liftin' a grown man with one hand, by his throat.

Or crushing a stormtroopers head with his bare hands thumb up

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 09:01 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Rebel95
Or crushing a stormtroopers head with his bare hands thumb up

Grievous has shown the ability to do both of those things - and he's nothing to Anakin.

Last edited by Jaggarath on Nov 15th, 2016 at 09:09 PM

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 09:02 PM
Rebel95

What are some of Anakin's strength feats other than his overpowering of Dooku? Just wondering

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 09:10 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Almost breaking Kenobi's bones, ripping apart crab droids, etc.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 09:14 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ursumeles
LMAO WUT
Originally posted by MythLord
I shall pray for you...
Originally posted by Azronger
Wat
Enthralling arguments, gentlemen.

I'll address what I presume is causing the confusion:

Vader = Savage. Simply put, Savage hurling Dooku with the sheer weight of a strike, proving too physically powerful for Anakin and Obi-Wan combined to hold down, and his ragdolling of Ventress suggests to me in a contest of sheer strength he's about equal with Vader. They're about the same size, where Vader is more powerful, Savage's magic-enhanced muscle probably outdoes Vader's cybernetics, and in terms of feats Savage leaves me more impressed. I give Vader the benefit of the doubt because of the Vader-force that surrounds him.

Vader > Anakin. Thought this'd be a no-brainer. Vader is more powerful than Anakin with amped physicality from his cybernetics. Not factoring in Legends, for the record.

Kenobi > Grievous > Ventress > Dooku

I personally think Maul/Kenobi's augmentation affords them greater potential strength than Grievous's cybernetics, though in canon it's harder to say I suppose. Though, depending on the flow of the fight Grievous could be too strong for either.

Grievous is just... better than Ventress? She overcame him on Dathomir but think of the multitude of times Grievous has physically battered Obi-Wan.

Ventress being stronger than Dooku is because of how I interpreted their performances against Savage. People like to bring up Dooku throwing Kenobi and Ventress around without even approaching the possibility that, and take a deep breath before you hear this, that he used their momentum to throw them. Now exhale. Makes a little more sense now. Dooku is old as shit, and just isn't that strong.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 09:24 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by ILS
Vader > Anakin. Thought this'd be a no-brainer. Vader is more powerful than Anakin with amped physicality from his cybernetics. Not factoring in Legends, for the record.

Anakin's stronger than Vader in strength in Legends and Canon.

Also, why are you listing Canon rankings, lol?

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 09:25 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Anakin's stronger than Vader in strength in Legends and Canon.

Also, why are you listing Canon rankings, lol?
thatsnicehoney.meme

Because we were discussing canon characters.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 09:27 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

This thread is about Legends.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 09:28 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

This thread is about Legends.
In that case I see your point regarding Anakin and Vader if by "Legends" you mean ignoring canon in favour of Legends. I don't really see the merit in doing that, but by all means, we're all allowed to pretend.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 09:30 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I'm not sure you realized this yet, but the entire board besides you still debates Legends and Canon characters as separate entities.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 09:33 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Which is fine and all, but when current, authoritative material is saying Vader > Anakin, and is only contradicted by older, non-canon material, I get the impression that it's probably a good idea to give one the higher merit. If Legends and Canon were actually separate entities, fair enough, but the fact is Canon is the official universe, what happened, and "Legends" is a collection of stories which stem from the main universe and aren't valid until stated otherwise.

Do whatever the hell you like, ignore what you want for the sake of discussion, but LotS is what I give precedent to even if I was factoring in Legends.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 10:15 PM
Zenwolf

I'm not sure you realized this yet, but the entire board besides you still debates Legends and Canon characters as separate entities.

Say whaa? Then why do I keep seeing Canon getting mixed in with Legends in all these VS threads n what not?

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 10:30 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, you're reading it the wrong way.

The cause had nothing to do about saving energy.

Anakin's strikes were powerful enough that Dooku could not defend against them - all he could do is slant them to the side and retreat. It states he "no longer tried" because Dooku tried earlier. However, he was completely unsuccessful. Thus, as Anakin continued his attack, it got to a point where Dooku didn't have the strength to even attempt to directly block Anakin's blows (like he did against Yoda) or strike back (like he also did against Yoda). The fact that Dooku had to "respond his reserves lavishly" to avoid being outright killed (note the text doesn't state he uses it to defend himself as expected in a combat situation - he uses it to avoid absolute death) by Anakin's strength explicitly demonstrates a distinction between his other fights, where the text, comic, and visual representations do not remotely convey such. Hell, a distinction can be found by sheer virtue of the fact that Anakin's third blow was already bending Dooku's lightsaber back far enough to injure him. This was never the case for his confrontations against Yoda, Mace Windu, Grievous, etc.
And in the movie we still see that he can't contend with his outright strength when he does block near the end and gets thrown back.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 10:34 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Re: Anakin Skywalker's Physical Strength (Comparison)

Let's go through the roster.

Anakin Skywalker vs Dooku:

Attack One: "The first overhand chop of Skywalker's blade slid off Dooku's instinctive guard."

Attack Two: "The second bent Dooku's wrist."

Attack Three: "The third flash of blue forced Dooku's scarlet blade so far to the inside that his own lightsaber scorched his shoulder, and Dooku was forced to give ground."

Continued: "Skywalker came on, mechanically inexorable, impossibly powerful, a destroyer droid with a lightsaber: each step a blow and each blow a step. Dooku backed away as fast as he dared; Skywalker stayed right on top of him. Dooku's breath went short and hard. He no longer tried to block Skywalker's strikes but only to guide them slanting away; he could not meet Skywalker strength-to-strength - not only did the boy wield tremendous reserves of Force energy, but his sheer physical power was astonishing."

---

Continued: "Skywalker was all over him. The shining blue lightsaber whirled and spat and every overhand chop crashed against Dooku's defense with the unstoppable power of a meteor strike; the Sith Lord spent lavishly of his reserve of the Force merely to meet these attacks without being cut in half, and Skywalker- Skywalker was getting stronger. Each parry cost Dooku more power than he'd used to throw Kenobi across the room; each block aged him a decade. He decided he'd best revise his strategy once again. He no longer even tried to strike back. Force exhaustion began to close down his perceptions, drawing his consciousness back down to his physical form, trapping him within his own skull until he could barely even feel the contours of the room around him; he dimly sensed stairs at his back, stairs that led up to the entrance balcony. He retreated up them, using the higher ground for leverage, but Skywalker just kept on coming, tirelessly ferocious. That blue blade was everywhere, flashing and whirling faster and faster until Dooku saw the room through an electric haze and now Kenobi was back in the picture: with a shout of the Force, he shot like a torpedo up the stairs behind Skywalker, and Dooku decided that under these rather extreme circumstances, it was at least arguably permissible for a gentleman to cheat."

Other Opponents vs Dooku:

Mace Windu vs Dooku: http://static6.comicvine.com/upload...82452-blz13.jpg

Grievous vs Dooku: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_Po12VyZw

Yoda vs Dooku: "Yoda's green blade caught the blow, holding the red lightsaber at bay, locking the two in a contest of strength, physical and of the Force."

---

As demonstrated, Anakin Skywalker is physically stronger than Mace Windu, Grievous, or Yoda.

More importantly, Anakin Skywalker's strength is greater than that of Darth Vader's (#suckitup).

Note that Grievous alone likely has greater physical strength than Darth Vader, and yet is nothing to Anakin Skywalker.

This fact is further confirmed by the Revenge of the Sith novel, which states he is the "strongest Jedi."
So, Obi-Wan > Mace, Yoda, and Grievous?

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 10:34 PM
Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

ILS:

(please log in to view the image)

And if it's purely Canon, then:

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 10:41 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Azronger:

Old Post Nov 15th, 2016 10:51 PM