KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Sam Harris Slaughters Christianity

Sam Harris Slaughters Christianity
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I am just amazed TYT have lasted this long. I want to know what kind of sorcery they used to keep themselves afloat.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 07:03 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chingchangwalla
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
I am just amazed TYT have lasted this long. I want to know what kind of sorcery they used to keep themselves afloat.

George Soros money

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 11:04 PM
chingchangwalla is currently offline Click here to Send chingchangwalla a Private Message Find more posts by chingchangwalla Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by chingchangwalla
George Soros money

In other words: the blackest of all magicks. Yep, this called for a magick with a K. It is that dastardly.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 11:05 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ben Carson: proof you can be a surgeon without being a scientist. Owned by Sam Harris.

"It's even more courageous to do it on twitter". Holy shit get this man a beer.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2017 12:14 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

"It's even more courageous to do it on twitter". Holy shit get this man a beer.

I think I had seen most of that interview before. Sam schooled that dude pretty hardcore and he shows no signs of bigotry or defamation as he is accused of, just intelligent criticism.

This is perhaps a bit off topic, but it's related to Ben Carson being a scientist who doesn't believe in evolution. This guy's "Debunking Creationists" videos are excellent...

Old Post Mar 30th, 2017 03:55 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ben Carson is also the guy who more or less tried to claim he cured his cancer with "alternative medicine" lol. You would think they wouldn't let someone doctor anymore if they don't seem to believe in things like evolution and yet believe in magical cancer cures.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2017 05:16 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Re: Sam Harris Slaughters Christianity

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I love this guy. I just ordered a couple of his books. Some highlights from this video:

~ If you're born in the wrong part of the world, then sorry, you just missed the correct revelation to get to heaven.

~ Christianity is a cult of human sacrifice and when put in different contexts makes it look like the beliefs of a lunatic.

~ Serial killers can go to heaven after a life of evil brutality just by saying a few words on death row.

~ God is praised with some activities, but does he get the blame for atrocities? No, it's said that he's "mysterious."

~ When Elves die in The Lord of the Rings they can be reborn in Middle Earth. lol

~ The God of the Bible is morally corrupt, but because it's declared that "He's God," it doesn't matter what he does or says, it's automatically good because he's God.

William Lane Craig slaughters Sam Harris. /thread thumb up

Old Post Mar 30th, 2017 06:33 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Re: Re: Sam Harris Slaughters Christianity

Originally posted by Stigma

William Lane Craig slaughters Sam Harris. /thread thumb up

Oh I love that guy's website. thumb up

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Mar 30th, 2017 06:37 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Re: Re: Re: Sam Harris Slaughters Christianity

Originally posted by Emperordmb
Oh I love that guy's website. thumb up

thumb up

He dismantles Harris in just under 9 minutes. Highly recommended.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2017 06:39 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

He's implying that Harris doesn't understand non-moral uses of the word "good" and "bad." Ridiculous. The rest is a bunch of abstract mumbo-jumbo that didn't make any sense to me. I haven't seen Harris' side of the argument, so I don't know if he was representing his claims accurately. I also haven't read The Moral Landscape yet.

But I feel like in order to say that there is "objective morality" you have to prove the existence of God (and provide better evidence than The Bible says he exists or the Quran says he exists). The truth is there is no God to take moral stances other than our own brains. If there is a Supreme Ruler of the Universe then we should go back to having monarchies because that is after all how the universe is run. The point is democracy is an improvement over monarchy, so therefore democratic morality is the only way to go.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2017 07:52 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Anyone still convinced that we as humans get our morality from the Bible or some other "holy book," needs to read a chapter or two out of The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I think it's Chapter 6. He makes quite an obvious case for the fact that we definitely do not derive our morals from the Bible (in particular). It's a really good chapter. I'll summarize a quotation he uses in the book...

Basically the Bible is perfect instruction for "ingroup morality," that seems more interested in genocide, enslavement, and world domination. And this is not why the Bible is evil, necessarily. No book is evil just because it seems to propagate murder, cruelty, and rape. Plenty of other books do that, like the Iliad, Icelandic Sagas, etc. But for some reason the Bible is sold to us as a moral instruction book by which we should pattern our lives. And it is the world's all-time best seller.

quote:
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things it takes religion."

~ Steven Weinberg
quote:
"...the history of Christianity is principally a story of mankind's misery and ignorance rather than of its requited love of God."

~ Sam Harris
The End of Faith, p107, after recounting some of the history and foundational beliefs of the Inquisition and anti-Semitism

Old Post Apr 7th, 2017 02:44 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's disturbing to hear a Christian say that if it turned out God wasn't real then life is utterly meaningless.

Bill O Reilly was espousing an idea like that. Then again he also thought that the tides are controlled by magic.

There are even crazy people who have hinted they would basically become rapists and murderers if they found out there was no God. Though those are a small minority.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2017 04:15 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

There are even crazy people who have hinted they would basically become rapists and murderers if they found out there was no God. Though those are a small minority.

The only way I know how not to abuse, murder, and rape others is because an imaginary father figure in the sky is telling me not to. People with very deep convictions, obviously. One would think that by God's example in the Bible that he would encourage such behavior by his existence, and his non-existence would discourage such behavior. And one point that Dawkins brings up is that even stuff like the 10 Commandments were more of an in-group morality. It wasn't necessarily disallowed to do those things to others outside the group.

It's disturbing to hear a Christian say that if it turned out God wasn't real then life is utterly meaningless.

Bill O Reilly was espousing an idea like that. Then again he also thought that the tides are controlled by magic.

Attachment: 17353238_1661557467192854_7444866737955476295_n.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Apr 7th, 2017 05:16 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
But I feel like in order to say that there is "objective morality" you have to prove the existence of God (and provide better evidence than The Bible says he exists or the Quran says he exists). The truth is there is no God to take moral stances other than our own brains. If there is a Supreme Ruler of the Universe then we should go back to having monarchies because that is after all how the universe is run. The point is democracy is an improvement over monarchy, so therefore democratic morality is the only way to go.

I like the style of the argument, it's of a rare aesthetical beauty, though the validity of the claim is left to the beholder.

For example, we can consider that democracy works because we have an statistical value filthered out by several generations on education and systematical improvements. Statistics work on a framework where things can be compared and are relative. God being absolute (by some definitions) throws that out of the window. Let alone that the imperfection of our morality compared to a night omniscient being schews the odds terribly when it comes to democracy vs monarchy.

The comparison also undermines the problem of representation. Yes, democracy is a system but ultimately its fate is decided by the quality of representation you can get on your ruler. Because decisions are only made by individuals and not systems, hence there is always someone at the top, guiding and making actual decisions. Translating this issue towards morality only goes to probe why morality is so complex and culturally based.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 7th, 2017 05:28 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Why are Atheists such whiney A-Holes all the time?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2017 10:33 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Why are Atheists such whiney A-Holes all the time?

It's not all of them, but I expect they are in a bad mood because of the power religion wields in this country(and the world).

Old Post Apr 12th, 2017 07:11 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Bentley
I like the style of the argument, it's of a rare aesthetical beauty, though the validity of the claim is left to the beholder.

For example, we can consider that democracy works because we have an statistical value filthered out by several generations on education and systematical improvements. Statistics work on a framework where things can be compared and are relative. God being absolute (by some definitions) throws that out of the window. Let alone that the imperfection of our morality compared to a night omniscient being schews the odds terribly when it comes to democracy vs monarchy.

The comparison also undermines the problem of representation. Yes, democracy is a system but ultimately its fate is decided by the quality of representation you can get on your ruler. Because decisions are only made by individuals and not systems, hence there is always someone at the top, guiding and making actual decisions. Translating this issue towards morality only goes to probe why morality is so complex and culturally based.

I have no idea what statistics has to do with anything. Sorry, none of that resonates at all with me.

The simple fact remains that our "holy books" that claim to be from God contain the most asinine moral codes and we as rational beings have naturally adjusted our moral codes despite these "holy books" (as seen by the decrease in slavery, and stoning of adulterers, etc). So democratic rational has largely taken over and is rendering the Bible and other "holy books" obsolete.

It's not all of them, but I expect they are in a bad mood because of the power religion wields in this country(and the world).

I just took his comment as unintelligent trolling (in which case it seems a bit hypocritical), so I didn't intend to dignify it with a response. To me ridiculous comments like those of Pat Robertson condemning whole communities to hell on God's behalf for "turning their backs on God" seems to contain quite a bit more "whiny a-hole-ness" than I've ever seen an atheist convey.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2017 12:50 PM
Bentley
Seitei

If you don't care about statistics and representation then you are talking about anarchism, not democracy.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 13th, 2017 07:41 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Anarchism is the most fun form of Government.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2017 07:42 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

If you don't care about statistics and representation then you are talking about anarchism, not democracy.

I didn't say I don't care about statistics. I don't understand the point you were trying to make with it.

With this, I think you are pointing out that even in a democracy there are still select few representing the thoughts and feelings of the majority. Well, that's the case in our current forms of democracy, but in a true, properly functioning democratic republic the people should have more and better ways of collaborating and deliberating on important issues instead of electing people to decide for us. And yes, we do still vote on certain topics, but that's not really what I'm talking about. I'm talking about public spheres where people get together and iron out issues that then feed into the government at large. It would be a government truly run by the people.

We don't have such public spheres, at least not here in the United States.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2017 08:16 PM