KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Evolution vs Creation

Evolution vs Creation
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Evolution vs Creation

Let's pretend this is still a debate, lol... because unfortunately far too many people still don't look honestly at the evidence. I think our species is doomed unless we realize our true origins and start making sense of the universe and our place in it. If we don't we're going to continue to kill each other (at worst) and delude ourselves (at best) over which book was written by God.

Creationism has a lot of things to answer for to be a viable scientific theory. Just to name a few...

1. Vestigial Structures like the appendix in humans and hip bones in whales and dolphins (not very "intelligently designed") (see video 1 below)

2. Starlight (I even had a Bible teacher in high school mention this as a baffling piece of evidence for Christians)

3. Fossil Record (less complex organisms deeper in the record, more complex more recent in the fossil record - no humans with dinosaurs, no rabbits in the Precambrian era, etc)

4. Chromosome 2 (evidence of a fusion, pretty conclusive for our relation to apes) (See video 3 below)

5. Dover, Pennsylvania area School district. Creationism did not hold up in court. (See video: Judgement Day: Intelligent Design On Trial (NOVA)

A couple really good introductory videos (the first is pretty short)...

Oh, and here are a few really good videos debunking Creationists, showing how dishonest and/or willfully ignorant they are about the evidence. It's deceptive and wrong...

Debunking Creationists - Dr. Ben Carson
Debunking Creationists - Dr. Jason Lisle
Debunking Creationists - Alan Horvath
Debunking Creationists - Jerry Bergman

That should be enough to keep anyone interested busy for a while... heh..

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 01:17 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I mean most of the Christians I know believe God created the universe but also believe in evolution and not that God created humans as we are.

As my own personal Christian stance goes if I believe God is the creator of the universe then I believe scientific law is in a sense his direct word, so rejecting scientific fact would be blasphemous from that perspective.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 02:28 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

This thread is about Evolution vs Creation, not Evolution vs Christians.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 03:42 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Well the point I'm making is that the two aren't necessarily diametrically opposed unless you're speaking of a particular stance of creationism.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 03:51 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

I think the OP is going against the particular stance of creationism

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 10:28 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Emperordmb
I mean most of the Christians I know believe God created the universe but also believe in evolution and not that God created humans as we are.

That's great. But unfortunately there are still many, many, many Christians who think the earth is 6,000 years old or so using the brilliant method of counting back all the genealogies in the Bible. It doesn't matter what evidence there is to the contrary. It's true because it simply has to be, because the Bible is the infallible Word of God!

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 02:40 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Well the point I'm making is that the two aren't necessarily diametrically opposed unless you're speaking of a particular stance of creationism.

...which the OP was.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 07:47 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Re: Evolution vs Creation

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I think our species is doomed unless we realize our true origins

So just how have you managed to come to "terms" with your origin being that you came from a inert wad of snot?

What EXACTLY would be said persons PLACE IN THE UNIVERSE!?

Right next to the yellow mustard stain on the cosmic hanky?

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 07:58 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Re: Re: Evolution vs Creation

Originally posted by Flyattractor
So just how have you managed to come to "terms" with your origin being that you came from a inert wad of snot?

I worship the Great Cosmic Snot Monster. Duh. And so do you apparently, judging by your green snot-colored font.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 10:21 PM
Flyattractor

Really? That is all you got? Oh wait. You had NOTHING to start with so...I guess that makes sense.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 11:45 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Really? That is all you got? Oh wait. You had NOTHING to start with so...I guess that makes sense.

Well, since you're too big of a blind idiot to infer what I'm talking about I'll spell it out for you...

Our place in the universe is on a ball of rock spinning around a ball of fire and we were fortunate enough to find ourselves here. It's a gift. And it's up to us to take control of our evolution instead of killing ourselves off by destroying the planet and killing each other over land, greed, and ideological differences.

We were not placed here by some anthropomorphic deity (as many people believe) that can just fix everything (in this life or the next) after we screw it all up.

Get it?

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 11:52 PM
Flyattractor

You can't call it " a gift" that would imply that it was GIVEN to us by someone or thing. At Best all it is is pure dumb luck. Happenstance, almost more of a joke. There is no MEANING to anything. On we can PRETEND that what we do as either or both individuals or a species has some kind of meaning but in the long run, it don't mean a thing at all.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 11:58 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by NewGuy01
...which the OP was.

Let him speak... what is wrong with him pointing that out?

But my question to Emperor, though, is this...

Since you clearly welcome open criticism to the Bible and everything that typical fundamental Christianity involves, and you obviously recognize that the Bible has been required to go through some serious reformations and rationalizations to make sense of its narrow-minded outlook (it's stance on slavery and primitive understanding of creation, etc) then what special pedestal does the Bible belong on? Why not just look at it like any other old piece of literature?

Old Post Jun 10th, 2017 11:58 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

You can't call it " a gift" that would imply that it was GIVEN to us by someone or thing. At Best all it is is pure dumb luck. Happenstance, almost more of a joke. There is no MEANING to anything. On we can PRETEND that what we do as either or both individuals or a species has some kind of meaning but in the long run, it don't mean a thing at all.

It means what we make it mean.

Right now it means killing each other over land, greed, and ideological differences in certain parts of the world.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2017 12:00 AM
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
It means what we make it mean.

Right now it means killing each other over land, greed, and ideological differences in certain parts of the world.

You would be happier if they were doing it to push The Evolution Theory instead?

Old Post Jun 11th, 2017 12:02 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

You would be happier if they were doing it to push The Evolution Theory instead?

Whut?

Old Post Jun 11th, 2017 12:03 AM
Flyattractor

You know like in the South Park Episode where everybody in the future "worshiped" science and then fought and killed each other over petty differences.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2017 12:14 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

You know like in the South Park Episode where everybody in the future "worshiped" science and then fought and killed each other over petty differences.

Yeah, I know the episode. It's funny. Especially the giant otters eating things on their tummies. laughing out loud

But it's not really true to reality. The science community is actually a very collaborative one, even worldwide. They obviously don't care about petty things like what to name the "Atheist Movement." And the things they do care about, which are scientific discoveries, they're terrified of being wrong, so they're always passing ideas on to more and more specialized fields of study. It's a very anti-dogmatic system. When was the last time we heard a scientist announce that he wants to kill non-scientists? Never. Whereas we've heard it non-stop from Muslims and even some particularly wacky (and non-reformed) Christians. Scientists don't kill people.. lol

Old Post Jun 11th, 2017 02:08 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

What I never understood about the religious people who argue against evolution is that if they believe in God and feel he is all powerful then why does evolution bother them? Since God could have purposely created a universe that gives life forms a chance to evolve.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2017 02:28 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Surtur
What I never understood about the religious people who argue against evolution is that if they believe in God and feel he is all powerful then why does evolution bother them? Since God could have purposely created a universe that gives life forms a chance to evolve.

Yeah I always found it more flattering to God to say he made something that continually improves upon itself rather than some stagnant creation.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2017 02:57 PM