KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Evolution vs Creation

Evolution vs Creation
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Well, that's actually a good thing. That's what a healthy belief systems should do. But unfortunately Christianity's way to deal with the problem is just to ignore real world facts and take the Bible as the final word on the matter. So it ignores reality. And yeah, like Surt said, Islam does that and kills anyone who disagrees. Islam is more hardcore.

Well you kind of back yourself into a corner when you claim your God is infallible, and that his word is absolute, and then go change the book based on his word. lol You either have to believe it's true, or admit that it's just a story.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2017 02:52 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Bentley
Belief is part of the living core of intelligent beings, we know very little so we need to believe. Adjusting yourself and your beliefs is to be expected, religion is not passed down as a literal answer from all moral dilemas. At least not in christianity.

Even Jesus called out some shit, such as:

When a mob dragged that woman in front of him and went "Yo we gotta stone this *****" and he was like "he who has not sinned may cast the first stone"

Or when some people mobbed him like "You were healing people on the Sabbath, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" and he was like "My dudes, you circumcise boys on the Sabbath, if your beast falls over you'd pick it up, chill out"

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Nov 29th, 2017 03:24 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Or just don't subscribe yourself to beliefs with any logical or rational basis in the first place.

thumb up

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
When your belief doesn't make sense, adjust it so it does.

And thumb up

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 04:22 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

This...

But you know, who needs facts when you have the Bible. thumb up

Attachment: 22489997_861703197341750_733252858265977306_n.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Dec 11th, 2017 02:29 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Don't underestimate the kangaroos my dude.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Dec 11th, 2017 02:35 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 04:03 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

We did not evolve from orangutan though.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 12th, 2017 04:48 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

We did not evolve from orangutan though.

We didn't evolve from any modern ape. But they are our closest ancestors. Chimpanzees are our closest living ancestor.

The meme is simply for amusement. smile

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 12:56 PM
Bentley
Seitei

We didn't evolve from any modern ape. But they are our closest ancestors. Chimpanzees are our closest living ancestor.

The meme is simply for amusement. smile

If we don't come from any apes what are you calling them our ancestors. We might've common ancestors though.

If memes are not serious and truthful you are going to tell me next that angry youtube rants aren't reliable either!!?

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 01:36 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Relative. Closest living relative is perhaps the proper term.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 02:02 PM
Ursumeles
Traitor

Bentley is joking, but some people really don't seem to understand it.
We are apes, considering that chimpanzees are closer to us than to Gorillas, and Gorrilas are closer to us than to Orang-Utans

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 02:07 PM
Ursumeles is currently offline Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Ursumeles
Bentley is joking, but some people really don't seem to understand it.

Oh, yeah. Most people don't understand it. Because it's not taught. The Bible's creation story is what's taught. sick

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 02:26 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Oh, yeah. Most people don't understand it. Because it's not taught. The Bible's creation story is what's taught. sick

Also Evolution happens to be a fairly complex process that our current knowledge doesn't fully account for, while the concept of Creation is more to be "accepted" than "understood" as far as more people arguing for it goes.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 02:32 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Also Evolution happens to be a fairly complex process that our current knowledge doesn't fully account for...

It's understood perfectly well enough to be taught, though.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 02:36 PM
Bentley
Seitei

It's understood perfectly well enough to be taught, though.

Yes, but that doesn't stop people from interpreting it poorly. In my experience the evidence is clear for most people but the process is very vague (most people are terrible at math).

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 02:53 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Bumped

Old Post Apr 24th, 2019 11:35 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

A really good video for simple, yet less commonly stated proofs and observations of evolution...

I like this guy's videos a lot...

Old Post Jan 10th, 2020 09:38 AM
NostalgiaSearch

Re: Evolution vs Creation

Let's pretend this is still a debate, lol... because unfortunately far too many people still don't look honestly at the evidence. I think our species is doomed unless we realize our true origins and start making sense of the universe and our place in it. If we don't we're going to continue to kill each other (at worst) and delude ourselves (at best) over which book was written by God.

Creationism has a lot of things to answer for to be a viable scientific theory. Just to name a few...

1. Vestigial Structures like the appendix in humans and hip bones in whales and dolphins (not very "intelligently designed") (see video 1 below)

2. Starlight (I even had a Bible teacher in high school mention this as a baffling piece of evidence for Christians)

3. Fossil Record (less complex organisms deeper in the record, more complex more recent in the fossil record - no humans with dinosaurs, no rabbits in the Precambrian era, etc)

4. Chromosome 2 (evidence of a fusion, pretty conclusive for our relation to apes) (See video 3 below)

5. Dover, Pennsylvania area School district. Creationism did not hold up in court..

I'll be the devils advocate (if you pardon the pun) for the creationist position. I believe God did it, I just don't know how, so I guess I'm suitable for this.

Obviously it's harder to dismiss them all as a whole, in combination these points are pretty strong, but individually they are often (not always) easy to dismiss from a creationist standpoint.

1. Vestigial structures are easier to dismiss because they could just be a result of the fall. Also there's still so much about genetics we don't know, perhaps there is a hidden reason on the level of genetics why those structures exist. It could even be a result of "micro evolution".

2. For starlight. We are living in a big universe, and we know that the speed of light can be influenced by any number of factors, all it would take to throw this theory out of the window is to discover something new that makes the universe appear older through influencing the speed of light.

3. The Fossil record is definitely the strongest point. Even for a Christian, the idea of Satan planting fake fossils is far fetched for many. I could perhaps resort to arguing that dating the age of fossils using rock might not be reliable, and would at best show the age of the earth, not the actual creature encased in the earth. What would you say to such an idea?

Also, many creationists would point out that a person could create fake fossils in a lab, and that it would require faith in the system to believe otherwise. You might respond that there is evidence that science is reliable, to which the creationist would respond that there is also evidence that even non-credentialed scientists have successfully created false discoveries before. (Piltdown man for example), how much moreso credentialled ones who would likely have the knowledge and resources to produce a convincing fake?

4. Again, a pretty good point, although if it turns out this specific genetic similarity/difference exists for the benefit of humans, then that alone could explain the similarity.

Not to mention the whole 99% similarity thing is an out of date myth based on incomplete data (You can't just compare a small fragment of DNA and act like it applies to the whole thing). And because our DNA is made literally of the same 4 components (A,C,T,G) as chimps and all other animals, there's bound to be atleast a 25% similarity just because we are made of the same stuff, no common ancestry or evolution required. Another large section of the similarity could be explained purely as things needing to be that way for us to survive, the rest as smaller mutations.

What I'm interested in finding out, but have no idea where to begin to look, is how they know that they "HAR"s (human accelerated regions) are accelerated, rather than simply differences between us and chimps. Or how they know for sure that junk DNA doesn't have some actual use, considering how different we actually are from chimps.

I'm not a scientist, so I certainly don't know everything, but there has been so much discussion on the topic of evolution and yet most of it is out of date to my knowledge.

Last edited by NostalgiaSearch on May 16th, 2020 at 01:41 PM

Old Post May 16th, 2020 01:29 PM
NostalgiaSearch is currently offline Click here to Send NostalgiaSearch a Private Message Find more posts by NostalgiaSearch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Re: Re: Evolution vs Creation

Originally posted by NostalgiaSearch
1. Vestigial structures are easier to dismiss because they could just be a result of the fall. Also there's still so much about genetics we don't know, perhaps there is a hidden reason on the level of genetics why those structures exist. It could even be a result of "micro evolution".

Yeah, my dad has said the exact same thing. It's because Christianity is a cult and those sorts of rationalizations will keep you from asking real questions. It all just comes down to thinking the "Bible" is a more reliable source of evidence than... actual, repeatable scientific observations and evidence.

(please log in to view the image)

2. For starlight. We are living in a big universe, and we know that the speed of light can be influenced by any number of factors, all it would take to throw this theory out of the window is to discover something new that makes the universe appear older through influencing the speed of light.

3. The Fossil record is definitely the strongest point. Even for a Christian, the idea of Satan planting fake fossils is far fetched for many. I could perhaps resort to arguing that dating the age of fossils using rock might not be reliable, and would at best show the age of the earth, not the actual creature encased in the earth. What would you say to such an idea?

Also, many creationists would point out that a person could create fake fossils in a lab, and that it would require faith in the system to believe otherwise. You might respond that there is evidence that science is reliable, to which the creationist would respond that there is also evidence that even non-credentialed scientists have successfully created false discoveries before. (Piltdown man for example), how much moreso credentialled ones who would likely have the knowledge and resources to produce a convincing fake?

4. Again, a pretty good point, although if it turns out this specific genetic similarity/difference exists for the benefit of humans, then that alone could explain the similarity.

2. Cool, work on that discovery and convince the entire population of esteemed astrophysicists. Point is no one's done it. The universe is old as shit and starlight isn't the only evidence of that. It's just further evidence of it.

3. Dating methods using rate of decay are reliable. It's established science. It's only dishonest apologists who try to claim otherwise. The scientific field doesn't doubt it's validity. (And please don't make me explain why science is reliable, because people in the field are always trying to prove others wrong, so there's constant questioning.)

4. Hm.. that's not making any sense to me.

Obviously it's harder to dismiss them all as a whole, in combination these points are pretty strong, but individually they are often (not always) easy to dismiss from a creationist standpoint.

Exactly. And good on you for making that point. thumb up

Old Post Oct 10th, 2022 08:21 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

A really good conversation on some of the deeper Creation apologists problems with evolution...

One of the coolest things I learned from this conversation is that mitochondria actually are ancient bacteria!

Old Post Oct 10th, 2022 08:24 PM