KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » 2018 World Cup Russia

2018 World Cup Russia
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by samhain
You think 1 FA Cup win 5 years ago in the same season he got Wigan relegated and 1 good season with Everton in his first season when they still had defensive discipline from the Moyes era until he obliterated it is enough to warrant an international job on the scale of Belgium? That's like giving Redknapp the Italy job or something. Also, Southgate didn't get the job due to his friendship with England's top striker, unlike Martinez, he got it because of the work he did with the international youth teams and his appointment still raised a lot of eyebrows.

Lot's of not so good teams have made the semis, Turkey, South Korea, Bulgaria, Sweden, Poland and now England, lol.

I'm not saying whether Martinez did or didn't deserve the job; only that he has done a decent job since he's had it, same as Southgate, who, let's be fair, a large part of him getting the job was the scandal with whatsisface.

I guess the arrogance thing is just I vibe I get from players like Lukaku and De Bruyne, they don't look like they're enjoying it as much as they could be. When I said I was glad they went out though, it was mostly due to the fact that if England make the final, I'd rather they lost out to France than Belgium.

Fair enough.

==

Sucks for England right now. They had such a good first half, but when that Croatia goal went in, I felt like their midfield went missing. I might knock Henderson a fair bit, but I don't rate Delli Ali much either, and Lingard, as much as I like him, is not a central midfielder. I don't know if they were trying to play him in the same position he was in at United, but without the same level of service it was never going to work.

And Walker as a centre-half. Jesus.

I feel bad for guys like Pickford and Trippier who, to me, played really well during the entire tournament. Guys like Vardy, Rashford and Dier barely got a look-in, and ffs, Ashley Young shouldn't have played a single minute of that WC. Fair play to Southgate for getting them this far though.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 11th, 2018 08:53 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Insane Titan

Originally posted by -Pr-
I'm not saying whether Martinez did or didn't deserve the job; only that he has done a decent job since he's had it, same as Southgate, who, let's be fair, a large part of him getting the job was the scandal with whatsisface.

Fair enough.

==

Sucks for England right now. They had such a good first half, but when that Croatia goal went in, I felt like their midfield went missing. I might knock Henderson a fair bit, but I don't rate Delli Ali much either, and Lingard, as much as I like him, is not a central midfielder. I don't know if they were trying to play him in the same position he was in at United, but without the same level of service it was never going to work.

And Walker as a centre-half. Jesus.

I feel bad for guys like Pickford and Trippier who, to me, played really well during the entire tournament. Guys like Vardy, Rashford and Dier barely got a look-in, and ffs, Ashley Young shouldn't have played a single minute of that WC. Fair play to Southgate for getting them this far though.
tbh I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Ashley young and Walker are the 2 of the main reasons we lost. Neither can defend are their positioning is terrible. I think sometimes the inexperience and naivety cost us big time at crucial points of the game. If oxla-chamberlain or lalana has been fit I’d have played them over Ali. Don’t rate him and slows the play down to much.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2018 09:09 PM
Insane Titan is currently offline Click here to Send Insane Titan a Private Message Find more posts by Insane Titan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Pretty much. And I still think not bringing Wilshere was a massive mistake.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 11th, 2018 09:20 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Not sure I agree on the Wilshere point, he can be such a great player but his injury-proneness is a massive worry, one of the things that people praised Southgate for was him assembling a team without any major fitness/injury issues, which hasn't happened for a long time.

Fair play to England though, not a lot of belief going into the tournament, (which hasn't happened for a long time either) but I think they can be proud of their achievements this time around.

France have to be nailed on to win it now though, Croatia's last 3 games have gone to extra time, that's literally a whole extra football match than France have played, and not just any football match, 90 minutes of intense, can't-give-an-inch type of football, that should give France more of an edge than they have already.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Jul 12th, 2018 12:25 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Looking at the guys who didn't get a game, I think you could have easily brought Wilshere and left someone like Fabian Delph at home. You could even only use him as a sub, bringing him on when England are at the point in the match when keeping the ball is a premium.

I also really think they should have brought a physical midfielder. Someone who can break play up and disrupt the opposition momentum. I'm not going to pretend he's World Class, but I honestly think someone like Shelvey could have come on against Croatia and just hassled Modric like Fellaini did with Neymar.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Last edited by -Pr- on Jul 12th, 2018 at 02:37 AM

Old Post Jul 12th, 2018 02:35 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Sorry, as regards what else you were saying, yeah, France are the obvious favourites, but I still can't get over the energy levels of the Croatian players. Even with how tiring this has all been for them, they were still chasing people down in extra time. That is some freakish conditioning, and I wouldn't be surprised if it continued on Sunday.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 12th, 2018 04:11 AM
samhain
The Demon Hunter

I'm sure being in the final will be a massive boost for them and at first they won't feel the tiredness but if they wind up chasing the game then France can really pick them off. I like both teams though so not sure who I'd like to see win it yet. Delph's England career is turning into his Man City career, people are going, 'Oh yeah, I forgot he plays for them.' I like Ashley Young but he's past it now and I can't believe he got the nod ahead of Danny Rose.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2018 10:33 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dareangel

i really hope croatia will win. they deserve it so much, true warriors and true fighting spirit. hope they will have the energies for this, but deep inside i have the feeling france will win. i am not so confident that croatia can stop this team. but i hope they can.
i think Mbappe is overrated. he is good but not what people are trying to make him. griezman is the real threat.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2018 10:44 AM
Dareangel is currently offline Click here to Send Dareangel a Private Message Find more posts by Dareangel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
walshy
Veteran. Wrestler. Hero

I'm just happy England didn't get to the final. I would like Croatia to win too but hard to see France not winning. Hope Belgium win 3rd place tomorrow

Old Post Jul 13th, 2018 11:00 PM
walshy is currently offline Click here to Send walshy a Private Message Find more posts by walshy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I'm sure being in the final will be a massive boost for them and at first they won't feel the tiredness but if they wind up chasing the game then France can really pick them off. I like both teams though so not sure who I'd like to see win it yet. Delph's England career is turning into his Man City career, people are going, 'Oh yeah, I forgot he plays for them.' I like Ashley Young but he's past it now and I can't believe he got the nod ahead of Danny Rose.

Or even Luke Shaw. Dude was doing well towards the end of the season but still didn't get brought.

Originally posted by Dareangel
i really hope croatia will win. they deserve it so much, true warriors and true fighting spirit. hope they will have the energies for this, but deep inside i have the feeling france will win. i am not so confident that croatia can stop this team. but i hope they can.
i think Mbappe is overrated. he is good but not what people are trying to make him. griezman is the real threat.

I think Griezmann is a better player in general, but that Mbappe has been France's best player this WC.

==

The England V Belgium match was kinda dour. A really good opening goal for Belgium and then many minutes of meh, until England made some substitutions and really came at them. Dier and Rashford were impressive, though Kane... He looks sluggish to me. I know there was talk about him being injured, but he really didn't look as sharp as usual at all imo.

Well-taken goal by Hazard at the end too.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 14th, 2018 05:17 PM
samhain
The Demon Hunter

There is a good group of talent coming through the ranks, Rashford, Alexander-Arnold, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, Sessegnon, just hope they can get the game time they need at their clubs, Premier League clubs are awful for that, if it was Spain or Italy they'd all be playing regularly. Harry Kane only got his chance at Tottenham because of injuries.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2018 11:22 PM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

I'm rooting for Croatia for the win.

Btw I'm actually more interested with BTS' live performance of Fake Love after the match. Lol.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 04:21 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Reading the England comments. they had no plan B. Southgate didn't know what to do to change things and had no passion, Fergusson, Marinio and Wenger would have been shouting from the touchline and would have sent a plan on with a player. He got too matey with the kids imo.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 10:22 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

IMO Southgate doesn't have the persona to be one of those managers, nor does he have the experience yet to be one of the 'shrewd silent strategists', forging a close bond and being friendly with his players is really the only route open to him at this stage.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 07:57 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

No world cup for Blowatia, haha.

Congrats France, you did Africa proud.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2018 10:53 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dareangel

the finals were not the game that was suppose to be. first of all, that retarded self goal is just .... its literally the first self goal inflicted in the world cup finals ever. then, the ref gave the penalty which was bullshit. yes there was a hand touch but it wasnt on purpose and you could see he whithdrew the hand. in average games its a toss up of 50/50 if to give or not a pentaly in such situation. but in the finals of the freaking world cup? you just dont do that. and the ref gave france a free goal. of course later the ref acted like he is in favor of croatia by "ignoring" all kinds of faults they did in mid field, but that was really to cover his deadly shot at croatia with the penalty. croatia dominated completely the first half and ended up losing 2-1. later on when france finally scored a deserved goal, that 3-1 started to crack croatia already. overall, this is not the game that was suppose to be. but hey, its usually the case in world cups. you always got the teams that are very friendly with the ref. and its usually the western countries.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2018 05:44 PM
Dareangel is currently offline Click here to Send Dareangel a Private Message Find more posts by Dareangel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
walshy
Veteran. Wrestler. Hero

I don't think it should've been a penalty either, the amount of time the ref took watching the VAR, he couldn't have been 100% certain on it which was one of the rules introduced with it. I wanted Croatia to win cause it'd be their first and they're a smaller nation so it's be a great story. Overall throughout the tournament tho France probably did deserve it.

Would've been bit more exciting of it went to penalties but this was probably the best final in my lifetime that I can remember anyway

Old Post Jul 16th, 2018 09:33 PM
walshy is currently offline Click here to Send walshy a Private Message Find more posts by walshy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Russe

Originally posted by -Pr-
Wales players were smiling while Walters was trying to hold Coleman's leg together. Kind of rubs a person the wrong way.

Thanks. I pray we don't get Italy.

Yeah, when Coleman went down. We all thought it wasn't good for the rest of the match.

Old Post May 29th, 2019 12:09 PM
Russe is currently offline Click here to Send Russe a Private Message Find more posts by Russe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Russe

Originally posted by walshy
I don't think it should've been a penalty either, the amount of time the ref took watching the VAR, he couldn't have been 100% certain on it which was one of the rules introduced with it. I wanted Croatia to win cause it'd be their first and they're a smaller nation so it's be a great story. Overall throughout the tournament tho France probably did deserve it.

Would've been bit more exciting of it went to penalties but this was probably the best final in my lifetime that I can remember anyway

Yeah, many of us at the hotel. Actually thought Croatia had a real shot. The odds were stacked up against them. Great team! Very determined.

Old Post May 29th, 2019 12:11 PM
Russe is currently offline Click here to Send Russe a Private Message Find more posts by Russe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Russe

Originally posted by Dareangel
the finals were not the game that was suppose to be. first of all, that retarded self goal is just .... its literally the first self goal inflicted in the world cup finals ever. then, the ref gave the penalty which was bullshit. yes there was a hand touch but it wasnt on purpose and you could see he whithdrew the hand. in average games its a toss up of 50/50 if to give or not a pentaly in such situation. but in the finals of the freaking world cup? you just dont do that. and the ref gave france a free goal. of course later the ref acted like he is in favor of croatia by "ignoring" all kinds of faults they did in mid field, but that was really to cover his deadly shot at croatia with the penalty. croatia dominated completely the first half and ended up losing 2-1. later on when france finally scored a deserved goal, that 3-1 started to crack croatia already. overall, this is not the game that was suppose to be. but hey, its usually the case in world cups. you always got the teams that are very friendly with the ref. and its usually the western countries.

Yeah, I won big on the whole self goal thing. I mentioned after it was over how. No one was monitoring, well playing defense on those fans screaming and yelling. After, he kicked it in his own goal france was almost guaranteed a chance to win. World Cup politics are just the politics the international sports scene needs. Especially, with the women's World Cup staged in France Summer 2019.

Old Post May 29th, 2019 12:18 PM