KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Anti-Religion Memes

Anti-Religion Memes
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ursumeles
Traitor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Omg

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 05:18 PM
Ursumeles is currently offline Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

"Oh my goodness"!!

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 05:41 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

I'm not convinced. You actually believe in god, but just say that he doesn't exists so that people turn to Satan.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 05:46 PM
Ursumeles is currently offline Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

You caught me.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 06:00 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

This will probably open up a whole new can 'o' worms, but it's true that Hitler was functioning far more from the antisemitism of Christianity than secularism.

That much is clear, you know, with the whole "we need to eradicate all the Jews" thing...

Attachment: hitler quote.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 12:37 AM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Too soon bro

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 12:39 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Emperordmb
I think both religious people and atheists would get a lot more out of an open discussion of their basic moral values and attitudes towards how to approach life and how to cultivate oneself

Morality has absolute sh!t to do with whether or not you believe in god.

You want to have a discussion of morals and life? Don't bring god into it.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 11:08 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Patient_Leech

I like this kid's skepticism.

Hell is an inherently abhorrent concept that is infinitely worse than all of humanity's sins combined.

There's no crime that justifies eternal punishment, especially considering we already punish people in real life.

God's a far greater sinner than any of the men he sends to eternal damnation.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 11:11 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Morality has absolute sh!t to do with whether or not you believe in god.

You want to have a discussion of morals and life? Don't bring god into it.

My religious pursuits have made me a morally better human being, and I could explain that morality without citing the authority of God. And I know plenty of people like that for whom their religion has helped them grow into more kind, loving, and humble human beings with a good sense of right and wrong, which again is something that could be conveyed through a conversation on moral value without debating the existence of God.

It's one thing to admit there's bad things that have come out of religion, it's another thing to say nobody has ever benefited from it and that it's not worthwhile to have deep moral conversations between good atheists and good religious people.

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Hell is an inherently abhorrent concept that is infinitely worse than all of humanity's sins combined.

There's no crime that justifies eternal punishment, especially considering we already punish people in real life.

God's a far greater sinner than any of the men he sends to eternal damnation.

I actually agree, which is why I'm a universalist who believes everyone gets redeemed and gets into Heaven.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 01:04 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

My religious pursuits have made me a morally better human being . . . I know plenty of people like that for whom their religion has helped them grow into more kind, loving, and humble human beings with a good sense of right and wrong . . .

Again, holy books like the Bible and Koran are filled with some very conflicting moral imperatives and guidelines it is ridiculous to say that good morals come from religion. So people becoming more loving and kind human beings is a result of their own pursuits and concerns and an improving human community that has more immediate concerns than what happens in the afterlife. It's good that people focus more on the great moral truths like the Golden Rule, "DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU." That's great. But to say you know religious people that are loving and moral is not proof of religion's role in morality because atheists are capable of love and kindness also. The point is the books are not needed and in fact they can get in the way of moral progress: like the discrimination of homosexuals and women.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 01:59 PM
Ursumeles
Traitor

What I never understood is why we should follow the teachings of God, and not those of Bhudda for example. Personally, I would rather build my moral on the strange teachings of Bhuddism, and not the rules of a pro-rape, pro-genoicide serial killer.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 03:45 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Oh I see, so you have this weird double standard that when religion motivates people to good morality it can't be given credit but when it motivates people to bad morality it's all religion's fault. Got it, makes sense. Totally not a double standard.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 03:52 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

^ That's not what I said. I said it's not always religion doing the motivation towards good. It's people's own innate nature and society playing and modifying religion.

And yes, it is undeniable that bad things have been the direct result of religion. Inquisition, burning of witches. I'm not saying that religion hasn't brought some good also, but it's not needed to do good in the world and it actually causes a lot of harm that wouldn't be there otherwise.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 03:58 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

it's another thing to say nobody has ever benefited from it and that
[/B]

it's not worthwhile to have deep moral conversations between good atheists and good religious people.

The "between atheists and good religious people" part isn't important or necessary.

Religious people don't have some unique sense of morality the non religious don't.
I actually agree, which is why I'm a universalist who believes everyone gets redeemed and gets into Heaven. [/B]

I like that. I'm guessing sinners have to pay retribution and show moral growth before their redemption?

I'm also hoping in real life punishments are taken into consideration.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2017 04:15 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Old Post Nov 1st, 2017 12:02 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 1st, 2017 05:18 PM
Ursumeles
Traitor

thumb up

Old Post Nov 1st, 2017 05:54 PM
MythLord
Diamond

laughing out loud

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 10:48 AM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 01:24 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

There's nuance to most of these that a meme format will never capture, so I think this is an inherently flawed way of approaching debate, which is how it's being used by some. But that one about the universe needs little outside context, imo. I saw some documentary about the stars and someone I was watching with had a similar comment, along the lines of "the sheer vastness of space makes any religion of man seem small by comparison." I think it's an issue that should be seriously grappled with by theists, but one that is too often pushed aside or not seriously considered.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 01:37 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote