KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Last Jedi: LUKE SKYWALKER Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Thoughts?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
I loved Luke's portrayal. 5 13.89%
I liked Luke portrayal. 5 13.89%
I have mixed emotions portrayal. 9 25.00%
I disliked Luke portrayal. 3 8.33%
I hated Luke portrayal. 14 38.89%
Total: 36 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Last Jedi: LUKE SKYWALKER Discussion Thread (Spoilers)
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gehenna
Sorgo

It would probably depend on the quote edit. I don't think the statement I was making with mine was too much to handle.

Come on, Blax! Get your shit together!

Nothing ever ends.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 01:40 PM
Click here to Send Gehenna a Private Message Find more posts by Gehenna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
That response doesn't even make sense. It's not an edgy statement, it's just an acknowledgement of fact. If anything, taking the word of psycho sounds way worse than taking the word of a Nazi. At least a Nazi has a bigger grasp on reality.

No, it's just you being a retard because you forgot about an entire sequence.

Luke tells Rey "his truth."

Kylo tells Rey "his truth."

Then after being held at lightsaber-point by Luke, Luke tells Rey "the truth."

I honestly don't even think you watched the movie.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 07:59 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by The Lost
It would probably depend on the quote edit. I don't think the statement I was making with mine was too much to handle.

Come on, Blax! Get your shit together!
Then this the level of shitpost you're getting buddy. Your memes are weak old man.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 09:23 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samappo

Although it sucks, I don't mind that we don't see Luke legit fight in a lightsaber duel. Remember, Lucas said about the OT that Yoda and Sidious don't have lightsabers because they're "beyond" that. I think this trilogy sorta mirrors the OT in this regard: Luke and Snoke are "beyond" the need to use lightsabers, since they're that powerful with the force.

The Sith are not placid stars but singularities. Rather than burn with muted purpose, we warp space and time to twist the galaxy to our own design. - Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 02:01 AM
Click here to Send samappo a Private Message Find more posts by samappo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I'm fine with Luke not being a badass warrior, personally. One of the running themes of his character in the movie is that people wanted his help but he didn't want to help in the way that they wanted. Explicitly, Rey wanted him to take her lightsaber, hop on the Falcon and **** shit up like the good old days, but Luke isn't that person anymore.

The hologram shit was a decent way to show him ending his exile and helping the galaxy again without fighting. Confronting Kylo as an illusion was also a good metaphor for showing Kylo that his problems were spiritual and could never be defeated with violence.

There were a slew of issues with Luke's representation in the series, but combat Feats are not something I would be worried about.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 02:46 AM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Tzeentch
I'm fine with Luke not being a badass warrior, personally. One of the running themes of his character in the movie is that people wanted his help but he didn't want to help in the way that they wanted. Explicitly, Rey wanted him to take her lightsaber, hop on the Falcon and **** shit up like the good old days, but Luke isn't that person anymore.

The hologram shit was a decent way to show him ending his exile and helping the galaxy again without fighting. Confronting Kylo as an illusion was also a good metaphor for showing Kylo that his problems were spiritual and could never be defeated with violence.

There were a slew of issues with Luke's representation in the series, but combat Feats are not something I would be worried about.

Problem though is now...who the frack is gonna train Rey? I mean she didn't really get any training at all in both movies, now she has no master to help her in learning stuff. Luke at least in the OT had brief moments with Ben and Yoda to help get a grasp of what he has.

Unless Kylo is gonna end up teaching her in some way while still being the enemy.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 03:31 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Problem though is now...who the frack is gonna train Rey? I mean she didn't really get any training at all in both movies, now she has no master to help her in learning stuff. Luke at least in the OT had brief moments with Ben and Yoda to help get a grasp of what he has.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_spirit

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 03:35 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by samappo
Although it sucks, I don't mind that we don't see Luke legit fight in a lightsaber duel. Remember, Lucas said about the OT that Yoda and Sidious don't have lightsabers because they're "beyond" that. I think this trilogy sorta mirrors the OT in this regard: Luke and Snoke are "beyond" the need to use lightsabers, since they're that powerful with the force.
I'm not really sure that Luke was 'beyond' lightsabers, though -- he was going to murder Ben with one, after all. I just think that Luke renounced lightsabers/combat when he renounced the Jedi Order... They were simply part of something he had come to abhor.

That's why his immediate inclination was to throw his father's saber away when Rey handed it to him. /shrug

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 03:46 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_spirit

Force spirits never really trained anyone, Ben and Yoda certainly didn't with Luke, Ben just kinda appeared and chatted with Luke at best.

Though I guess it's possible, we'll see.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 03:50 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Problem though is now...who the frack is gonna train Rey?

Nobody, she doesn't need a trainer. ****ing around on a desert her whole life has already given her the training to defeat multiple assailants alone and that was before the plot pushed a button amd gave her access to the force. With it she can duel Kylo Ren the third strongest force user in the galaxy and 1v2 warriors who have been training intensively in close-combat every day of their lives.

Why would she possibly need a teacher? Whats left to teach her?

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 03:54 AM
Zenwolf

Nobody, she doesn't need a trainer. ****ing around on a desert her whole life has already given her the training to defeat multiple assailants alone and that was before the plot pushed a button amd gave her access to the force. With it she can duel Kylo Ren the third strongest force user in the galaxy and 1v2 warriors who have been training intensively in close-combat every day of their lives.

Why would she possibly need a teacher? Whats left to teach her?

Hmm a fine(if not a silly) point, I guess we'll see.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 03:59 AM
Big Gerald
Star Wars Expert

It would seem some people don't understand basic narrative structure and believe Luke's final word is incorrect. You cannot help these "enthusiasts"

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 05:29 AM
Click here to Send Big Gerald a Private Message Find more posts by Big Gerald Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I will say I disagree with him wanting to Ren. Doesn't fit at all with what we've known him to be in the past.

I did, however, enjoy his overall portrayal as being a stubborn old man waiting to die alone on an island. His reasons for why the jedi should die were justified.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 06:05 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Big Gerald
Star Wars Expert

Originally posted by Kurk
I will say I disagree with him wanting to Ren. Doesn't fit at all with what we've known him to be in the past.

I did, however, enjoy his overall portrayal as being a stubborn old man waiting to die alone on an island. His reasons for why the jedi should die were justified.

I dislike Yoda's high and mighty act after the fact. Especially after Luke plainly explained Yoda's failure.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 06:09 AM
Click here to Send Big Gerald a Private Message Find more posts by Big Gerald Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
No, it's just you being a retard because you forgot about an entire sequence.

Luke tells Rey "his truth."

Kylo tells Rey "his truth."

Then after being held at lightsaber-point by Luke, Luke tells Rey "the truth."

I honestly don't even think you watched the movie.

The third account still comes from Luke, and Rey pointing a lightsaber at him doesn't suddenly make him tell the truth. I don't believe Luke. Further accounts from him doesn't make me suddenly believe him.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 03:58 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Luke isn't real. From a story-telling perspective its obviously the truth. You really think Lukes ghost is going to pop up in 9 and go "Haha I lied twice! Gotcha suckers!"

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 04:06 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

It wouldn't hold up in a court of law. thumb down

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 04:17 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

Well, Luke certainly has an opinion on Luke Skywalker.

What a great and funny guy.

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 04:46 PM
Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote