KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What is the relation between Secularism and Atheism?

What is the relation between Secularism and Atheism?
Started by: Stigma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

@newguy, 99% sure stig is just trolling you.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 03:01 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
@newguy, 99% sure stig is just trolling you.

Well, that was just mean .... sad

BTW Guys, thanks for the input. As I said I'll be back in a week or so, so I cannot give it time for now.

In the meantime, I was thinking about language as a symbolic representation of what reality is and how it may affect our positions.

Examples of the issue:

1. I think this is not the solution.

2. I don't think this is the solution.

Obviously we in 1 aand 2 we use different grammatical structues to express what we think, but but at the same time the "end result", so to speak, remains the same. Language is just a symbolic way to express reality, not the reality that we express.

I also think we do use both models of 1 and 2 in our daily conduct on all levels without any backlash as to what is meant to be said.

I was also thinking (given that English is not my native language) that it might be the case of language differences. After giving it some thought I don't think it is, but I will ponder it more.

But, if it is the problem of the language barrier, then the question arises:

So the problem (of intelligibility of 1 and 2) exists only in English (and perhaps other languages) but not in Polish (and perhaps other languages)?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2018 08:58 AM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Wouldn't that be closer to an Agnostic?

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but the answer is no. Agnosticism and atheism aren't mutually exclusive. I'd argue they are the exact same thing in most instances tbh. You either have belief or you don't. There is no middle point where you can simultaneously believe and not believe, which people incorrectly assume agnosticism is. Agnosticism is just a statement of certainty.

Atheism doesn't require a claim. It describes a lack of belief. Any individual atheist can of course say "there is no god", but saying "I don't know" is still perfectly atheist. You don't know, but lack belief in any god. Your belief gauge still reads 0.

This empty belief gauge is the default lack of any assumptions we're all born with. You don't assume anything about the natural world until given reason to. Atheism is essentially saying "I don't know what's out there, but you've offered no reason to assume something is out there, so I will continue to assume nothing until shown evidence of something."

If you went through life and never once considered the question of god, you'd still be an atheist. Only theism actually requires a statement of belief.
Originally posted by Stigma
Yeah, I think Fly is right, Surt. Given that you leave an open door for the possiblility of the metaphysical realm, somewhere down the road it implies the possibility of deity.

Some atheists believe in an afterlife and any number of supernatural events. They just aren't convinced a diety caused it.

Old Post May 20th, 2018 01:56 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Secularism is as real as there being other things in the world. God said it is a choice people make and both are fine. Remember how He came to talk about love. Like your jobs toady because life surly goes on.
Atheists believe in life so that aesthetics live make sense.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post May 21st, 2018 02:22 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote