KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What is a Greater Leap of Faith: God or the Multiverse?

What is a Greater Leap of Faith: God or the Multiverse?
Started by: Flyattractor

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MythLord
Fly, look on the brightside: if the Multiverse theory is true, then there may just be a universe out there where you have a functioning brain.

OK I change my answer to multiverse

Old Post May 1st, 2018 06:55 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Somewhere maybe there is a You that isn't as wishy washy.

Old Post May 1st, 2018 07:37 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by The Ellimist
...no, that's not what the multiverse says at all, lol. How much do you actually know about it?

I disagree with your disagreement. That's exactly what it would imply in a near-infinite number of universes. This is known as Shermer’s Last Law and it's tongue-in-cheek but it's legit.

Any sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial intelligence is indistinguishable from God

There's probably a Thor-like God. If the number of universes and universes that can create life are really nearing infinity, then you could potentially have every single God imaginable within reason (not the super super multiverse gods...or maybe so?).

It's less of a leap to just conclude one local god who may or may not have an interest in its creation.

Old Post May 1st, 2018 08:04 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Pretty sure Fly is referring to an Abrahamic-esque God, not some alien entity that some people could decide to classify as a god.

Old Post May 1st, 2018 08:10 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Pretty sure Fly is referring to an Abrahamic-esque God, not some alien entity that some people could decide to classify as a god.

I'm pretty sure you are thinking they are mutually exclusive from my words when that would not be correct.

How many boxes does this local god have to ticket? Probably this one: "Yes, I'm your creator god."

And the Abrahamics go wild.

Old Post May 1st, 2018 08:37 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Not if you define God as the first mover.

Old Post May 1st, 2018 08:55 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

IIRC, Scientists found evidence for the multiverse theory when they found light could be both a particle and a wave. Any who, the fine tuned universe we have being the result of a plethora of attempted and failed universes is far far simpler than the notion of their being an intelligence capable of fine tuning the universe like so.

Furthermore, to call whatever may have put these universes in action as god is pointless. If you can't explain what god is, then it's better of admitting you just don't know.

Alas, people don't like this, so the smart ones go on trying to "prove religion" by masking something with no evidence as the only likely explanation for the universe's creation:

Believer:-> the universe is too finely tuned to be a randomly made!

Rational person:-> The universe's likelihood of turning out the way it did remains the same regardless of what caused it. That this cause was a sentient being capable of tuning the universe in such a manner is a complication making what happened more absurd.

Believer: -> What if this being transcends rational probability?

Rational Person: -> Your whole argument for his existence is based on rational probability

Believer: ...

There's no evidence that suggests the existence of god. And you can't use the unlikeliness of an event as proof of the event being caused by a presence that makes the event even more likely. And this is just for proof he exists, that says nothing regarding his intentions or interest in his creation. You can't make an argument for religion, you can only make claims. To believe in something which can't be backed up by proof is to be irrational.

Last edited by Rockydonovang on May 2nd, 2018 at 03:33 AM

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 03:27 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Kbro with some hard-hitting factz.

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 03:35 AM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

You call that Scenario "hard hitting Fact"?

Kay.....

Old Post May 2nd, 2018 06:01 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

The multiverse is theoretically amenable to "traditional", ie, empirical science. God, as a "transempirical" entity, is not, therefore requiring more of a LoF.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post May 7th, 2018 10:22 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

If a god is meant to be absolute proving its existance should be impossible. The proof for the multiverse in comparison is much smaller, but as to which one requires the less faith, the question is impossible to gauge.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post May 7th, 2018 11:13 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

I copied this from my how do you make the Universe larger?
More large that infinity being an infant means that Jesus was right the kingdom of Heaven is like the heart of a child.
Proves both Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was right but also that abortion is wrong.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Jun 29th, 2018 03:20 PM
Wonder Man is online now! Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote