KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » DOOM: Eternal

DOOM: Eternal
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
I'm out.

Stop. Don't. Come back e_e

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2020 08:50 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

That pcgamer first impressions review reminds me of the journalists who were terrible at Doom 2016 when we had to watch their awful attempts on the first level before the game was out. Seeing similar deja vu as far as that too with the recent gameplay videos of this game.

Eternal's campaign is said to apparently be twice as long as Doom 2016's, so I can understand the Doom II comparison as far as length, but I didn't really have a problem with II aside from the outdated design of the final boss/level. Basically git gud and play the game in short bursts if you have to as opposed to burning yourself out.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 01:33 AM
Ridley_Prime is online now! Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

That final boss from Doom 2 , They do alot more with it in Brutal Doom's campaign.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 01:54 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Originally posted by cdtm
https://www-pcgamer-com.cdn.ampproj...=mq331AQCKAE%3D

quote:
Doom Eternal on Ultraviolence, its 'hard' difficulty, is the most stressed I've been playing a game in a long time, because almost every fight had me feeling like I was on the ragged edge. It's been a couple years since I played any of id Software's 2016 Doom, the surprisingly great reboot that Eternal is following up on, but I don't remember it feeling like this. Doom was fast, rabid, and satisfying in its brutality and the ways it encouraged aggression to stay alive. You had to perform melee 'glory kills' to wrench life-refilling power-ups from enemies, and you'd pull out the chainsaw at key moments to turn an enemy into a geyser of blood and ammo refills. Eternal starts at a level of intensity Doom may have reached towards the end.

The sequel gives you those basic tools in the first five minutes, and then it keeps layering on more for the first three hours (and likely beyond). Honestly, it's overwhelming, but Eternal's goal here is to essentially give you access to superpowers and then force you to learn how to use them instinctively, or you die. It's definitely following the Crank: High Voltage playbook on how to make a sequel.

Looks like they followed the Doom II playbook of excess = sequel.

Not my idea of fun, nor I'd imagine a lot of people which is why Doom II is only really played for mods, and not the campaign. And no mod support, so..

I'm out.

That sounds amazing. The reviewer is a pussy

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2020 02:26 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Looks like they followed the Doom II playbook of excess = sequel.

Not my idea of fun, nor I'd imagine a lot of people which is why Doom II is only really played for mods, and not the campaign. And no mod support, so..

I'm out.

That sounds amazing. The reviewer is a pussy [/B][/QUOTE]

Haha could be.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2020 03:48 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-eterna...is-speed-metal/

quote:
Much of Doom Eternal's combat design, as Martin describes it, is built around punishing players for playing "wrong." At first that description bothered me. Sometimes the best (or at least the funniest) experiences in games come from playing them in ways developers never intended, which our writer Chris Livingston has shown time and time again. But for Martin, the goal is ensuring as many players as possible have the experience of using everything in Eternal's arsenal to survive, rather than cheesing the game with a single weapon, like Doom 2016's super shotgun.

(Image credit: id Software)
Being unstoppable is fun for awhile, but it gets stale if a single strategy is the solution to every problem. This is why Doom Eternal gives players multiple guns, a grenade, a flamethrower, a dash, and even more tools in its first couple hours. This time around, it's hell bent on forcing you to juggle everything it gives you, with the view that juggling is the best way to have fun.

"How do we corral the player into playing that way? We're comfortable with punishing them if they don't," Martin says. "If I run up to somebody with a pistol and repeatedly shoot them in the chest, that demon has to kill me, and kill me fast. They will, in Doom Eternal. The demons are really aggressive if you're not doing what you need to do. That's what's keeping you engaged. If you're in the fun zone, doing the right thing, you're surrounded by a bunch of fail conditions. If I try to use the rocket launcher to solve every problem, I'm going to get myself killed, because this time around it's more powerful but it does way more self damage, and it shoots slower. Just that alone will get you to switch away from that super powerful weapon.

"The super shotgun was a very exploitable weapon in the last game. In the last game you could walk up to anybody, put the double barrel to their chest, and they die. This time... wait till you meet the Mancubus. Those days are over. Most [demons] have an area of denial attack that will knock a slow-moving player away really fast, and do a considerable amount of damage and displacement. That's like a frustration bumper.

"We think of the player like a pinball: They've hit that bumper and it pushes them right back into the fun zone, which is like, 'Hey, maybe you should use a different weapon for that particular enemy.' Or maybe you should create an opening. The grenade falters enemies, which creates an opening, meaning they can't do an area of denial attack. It's like a jab, and then you can go in and throw your overhand right, which is your super shotgun."

Martin jokes that "aggressive resource management" was the idea for Doom Eternal, as the team figured out how to follow up on Doom 2016. It doesn't exactly sound like a thrill ride, but when all those resources are guns, you apparently end up with Doom Eternal's bat outta hell combat. Its predecessor now looks almost glacial by comparison. Back in 2016 we jokingly wrote about how Doom could've been more metal, so I have to ask how Eternal ups the metal quotient, in his mind.

Resource management? Punishing "playing wrong"?

This sounds like the direct opposite of fun.

It sure don't sound like Doom, that's for sure.

And besides, I never leaned on the super shotgun, don't know what they're on about. The Gattling Gun and Plasma Cannon was where it was at. Or the rail gun for those snipes.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 03:48 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nemesis X

Is this a Brutal Doom mod?

All they need is an ultragib setting painting the walls.

No wonder they cut mod support, they just don't want Brutal modders stealing their thunder at taking it to 11.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2020 10:50 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Wouldn't be surprised if Brutal Doom was an inspiration for these newer Doom games.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2020 12:37 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

I should replay that with the Doom II wad.

Freedoom always has a few glitchy animations from the Freedoom sprites that peek through.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2020 01:10 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Haven't tried out Freedoom, I just came across Knee-Deep in ZDoom yesterday a reinterpretation of the first episode from Doom 1.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2020 01:33 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Kazenji
Haven't tried out Freedoom, I just came across Knee-Deep in ZDoom yesterday a reinterpretation of the first episode from Doom 1.

Well, if you ever downloaded the pre packed and ready to play Brutal Doom He'll On Earth Starter Pack from mod sites, that comes with Freedoom as the base wad.

Of course you can just get Freedoom and Freedoom II from their site directly.

I mostly used Freedoom for total conversion mods that required Doom II, ike Brutal, Complex Doom, or Death4told. Out of the box Freedoom uses its own custom sprites, but the wads are 100% compatible with map packs and mods.

It also has its own levels, which honestly aren't bad.

But now that I own Doom II, there's no need for it.

Give it a go someday, if only to see the various fan sprites.

Last edited by cdtm on Jan 28th, 2020 at 02:36 AM

Old Post Jan 28th, 2020 02:33 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Also have you played Complex Doom?

Sort of an alternative Brutal Doom, with a nice unique beasties and randomness where every single mob can potentially spawn a souped up "Legendary" variation.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2020 06:16 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

**** Doom, the sequel we all want is Ion Fury.

That was was WAY better then Doom 2016, and for my money the best fps of the past decade.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2020 12:39 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Old Post Feb 5th, 2020 10:07 PM
Ridley_Prime is online now! Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good news if true.

Release a modding kit and I'd buy a copy just to support the communities.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2020 10:21 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Duke Nukem Forever didn't have mod support either.

In fact, even Duke Nukem 3d World Tour started out incompatible with Eduke32.

What's with this trend of anti community behavior? Don't they know a large part of Skyrims success is because of the mod community keeping the game alive well past the point people would normally become bored of it?

I mean, sure, they probably want to sell their own dlc, but user generated content and official expansions have co-existed just fine. Everyone will always open the wallet for official content anyways, no matter how good the fan maps and mods are.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2020 06:49 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Old Post Mar 10th, 2020 10:23 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing Brony appeal now. How low have you sunk, Doom?

Old Post Mar 11th, 2020 01:58 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Unicorns. "Customisation". "Brutal" difficulty.

More stupid gimmicks. 2016 Doom wasn't even all that good in terms of level design, and it looks like they're out of tricks, with nothing to offer but "More dakka".

A pathetic last gasp from a dying franchise.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2020 11:11 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Oh. Ouch. Someone who always says something negative about literally anything brought up on this forum is insulting something and it's not at all stale. The feels hursties, broken is everybody.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Mar 11th, 2020 at 11:26 PM

Old Post Mar 11th, 2020 11:18 PM