KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Recommend me some good Superman minis/runs

Recommend me some good Superman minis/runs
Started by: Bentley

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bentley
Seitei

Recommend me some good Superman minis/runs

I know there are no Superman fans in these forums, but it's worth the try, maybe Carver or some other expert will throw me a bone.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 02:12 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I, too, would like to hear Carver's expertise.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2018 12:15 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Can't speak for anyone else, but,
I rather enjoyed some of the following ...

Frank Miller -- The Dark Knight Returns

Flash #237 Volume 2

JLA -Trial By Fire

Trinity #3 Volume 1, June 2008

Old Post Jun 21st, 2018 07:14 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Just things with Superman in them, I'd recommend JLA/Avengers.

Superman is especially prominant, along with Cap. In general it's a must see event for being a genunely epic feeling event, that managed to be fun. You can almost call it a cap on comics before the New 52 broke DC..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2018 09:59 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Buuump!

Old Post Jun 27th, 2018 12:43 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
I know there are no Superman fans in these forums, but it's worth the try, maybe Carver or some other expert will throw me a bone.
All-Star Superman [Morrison]
Superman Beyond [+Final Crisis] [Morrison]
Superman: Secret Identity [Kurt Busiek]
Superman: Red Son [Mark Millar]
Up, Up and Away [Kurt Busiek & Geoff Johns]
Superman: Last Son, Legion of Super-Heroes, Brainiac by Geoff Johns
Superman: Birthright [Mark Waid]
SUperman: For the Man who has Everything [Alan Moore]
Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? [Alan Moore]
Action Comics 1-16 [New 52] by Grant Morrison
Superman: For All Seasons [Jeph Loeb]

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Jun 27th, 2018 01:13 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Thanks Phil, that's a cool list, I had some of those gems forgotten thumb up

Old Post Jun 27th, 2018 06:59 PM
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

Superman Time And Time Again

by Dan Jurgens

Superman The Man Of Steel

by John Byrne

Vol 1 to 9 1986 to 2003

John Byrne Dick Giordano Marv Wolfman and others

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2018 10:53 AM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pillow Biter

I actually find Superman a little boring when he's just alone or paired with only his own supporting cast for too long. (There are some exceptional stories that are exceptions to this.)
So I'd primarily look at arcs where he has the company of other heroes.
Superman / Batman stories are among the best--they really play well off of one another. However, the good ones are the ones where Supes is shown as a capable and strong personality, able to match Batman as a MAN. There are some disappointing stories where Superman is basically treated like a child by Bats.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2018 01:34 PM
Pillow Biter is currently offline Click here to Send Pillow Biter a Private Message Find more posts by Pillow Biter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deft

Red Son and All Star are awesome comics, dude

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2019 01:53 AM
deft is currently offline Click here to Send deft a Private Message Find more posts by deft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Jogga

Superman: Phantom Zone by Steve Gerber

Superman: Strength by Scott McCloud

Superman: Escape from Bizzaro World by Geoff Johns

Superman: For All Seasons by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale

Action Comics #484 by Cary Bates and Curt Swan

Superman: The Secret Years by Bob Rozakis and Curt Swan

Old Post Nov 11th, 2019 02:55 PM
Mr. Jogga is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Jogga a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Jogga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by shiv
Superman Time And Time Again

by Dan Jurgens

Superman The Man Of Steel

by John Byrne

Vol 1 to 9 1986 to 2003

John Byrne Dick Giordano Marv Wolfman and others

Panic in the Sky from the 90's was pretty cool, too. Felt like a JLA big event; had the best Brainiac as the main villain, and Maxima!

Old Post Feb 7th, 2020 02:52 PM