KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » "Should Nintendo stop making consoles?"

"Should Nintendo stop making consoles?"
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
If they're on their computer and want to play a game then they should do so on the infinitely better device that is their computer.
What if they're at work? "Hurr-durr well they shouldn't be thinking of gaming at work".

I've heard people make that excuse many times and... honestly, most people don't wanna work or even think about work, and tbh I don't feel like bringing my 10-15lb. gaming laptop with me on a train, when I could just as easily bring the much smaller, lighter, and more accessible switch.

Plus, this part of the argument is less convincing but, there've been times where I'd be trying to write something, and suddenly I'll get bored and wanna play something, so I boot up something on my computer... but then I get really into it and then forget to tab back out to finish writing, next thing I know, it's 4 hours later and I still haven't finished what I wrote cause I was too into the game to notice, you could technically make that argument for ANY handheld, but the switch being the modern Nintendo home console/hybrid makes it fit more into this category... Either way, gaming on a handheld (particularly the switch) is better for when you're working, because all you need to do, is look up, and suddenly remember "wow, I need to finish this, I'll write this paragraph and then go finish this shrine".

Plus, tabbing out then tabbing in every 20 minutes is, idk... tedious and annoying, it just has something going for it that just makes it rather annoying to keep doing, whereas the switch is always RIGHT there.

Honestly I've always loved portables more though.

I played my PSP more then my PS3 (For a time), and I play my Vita WAY more then I play my PS4. I just want every huge game ported to the switch, I have GTA V on my PS4 but I just can't push myself to replay it because I know I'm not gonna have time for it.

Just the fact that I can play it wherever, just makes it better for me, personally, also the fact that it's one of the best, if not the best console ever released by Nintendo, the fact that it's making history by being the first true hybrid, and the fact that it'll be one of the best handhelds ever.

Now, if PS4 and Xbox One did this as well, I'd wholly welcome it. I think Sony is done with handhelds after the Vita sold horribly, Xbox has never made (and may never make) a handheld, though I can be fairly sure that tons of people would be down for an Xbox handheld.

But if you can't see the appeal of certain games, thats cool, but at least try to accept that other people can, I'm not sure why people assume whenever they don't like a game, they automatically can't see the appeal at all, and think everyone's crazy for it.

Yeah, I have games on my PS4 that I'd love to play... but, I just simply do not feel like getting up and switching the discs out, playing for 20 minutes, then maybe getting bored, because thats usually what I do with my consoles.

I'll sit and play for a bit, then I get bored, and wanna do something else, I don't play video games for a long period of time, I play them in short bursts.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jun 29th, 2018 09:02 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

In the end, it doesn't matter.

If you handheld gaming, play on the Switch. If you want high end graphics, play on Xbox One X. If you want middle of the road gaming, get a PS4 Pro/regular or an Xbox One S.

Play on PC if you want to play PC specific games or third party ports. It's all good.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2018 12:16 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

And if you want to play something that's good, hook up your PS2. (please log in to view the image)

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2018 03:27 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Jmanghan
What if they're at work? "Hurr-durr well they shouldn't be thinking of gaming at work".

Bingo.

quote:
I've heard people make that excuse many times and... honestly, most people don't wanna work or even think about work

...and? laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 29th, 2018 06:03 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by BackFire
No. They're the only ones who are creative with the idea behind their consoles. We need them for innovation's sake if nothing more.

Pretty much this. It's vexing though when you occasionally get abysmal failures like the Wii U, but when they do well, they do well.

Originally posted by Smasandian

If you handheld gaming, play on the Switch. If you want high end graphics, play on Xbox One X. If you want middle of the road gaming, get a PS4 Pro/regular or an Xbox One S.

Play on PC if you want to play PC specific games or third party ports. It's all good.

thumb up

Old Post Jun 29th, 2018 08:53 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Smasandian

So tempted to troll you right now, but i'll desist.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 29th, 2018 09:46 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by Kazenji
And Nostalgia.

(please log in to view the image)

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2018 10:15 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Bingo.

...and? laughing out loud
what if you're at a job where you have a lot of freedom? the more accessible choice at the end of the day is always gonna be the switch.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2018 01:27 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

bump

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 08:16 PM
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

For me as a PC gamer, Nintendo consoles are the only ones I even consider buying.
There is zero reason for me to buy an Xbox or Playstation. Most of the types of games I enjoy that sort of interest me on xbox or playstation I can get better versions of them on PC. With better online(+ its free), better patches, mods, better controls, graphics, bigger libraries of games, etc.

Nintendo consoles give me something different I cant get on PC. So a PC + Nintendo console is the best combo.

No need to buy a console that is basically an under-powered jr. PC.

Last edited by Inhuman on Dec 19th, 2018 at 08:52 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 08:43 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Originally posted by Inhuman

This is always the argument from PC people. I'm not a graphics whore, it barey looks any different to me. Plus, I have no interest in trying to keep some bullshit PC up to date, and having to worry about whether or not it will have the power to play the game I want. I want to put the game in the machine and go.

There's a huge reason to get a console; it's much less of a hassle.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 08:55 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
This is always the argument from PC people. I'm not a graphics whore, it barey looks any different to me. Plus, I have no interest in trying to keep some bullshit PC up to date, and having to worry about whether or not it will have the power to play the game I want. I want to put the game in the machine and go.

Let me break it down.

- Upgrading misconception. assuming most have a decent PC already. All that needs upgrading is to get a current top graphics card, current CPU (i5,i7), and a current motherboard. Maybe ram as well if yours is super old.
This is a one time expense because that will last you at MINIMUM two Sony/M$ console generations (if not more). So you wont have to upgrade again for many years. When these components get a bit outdated all that happens is that you wont be able to run games at ULTRA high anymore, but setting everything to medium still looks better than consoles or the same. That way, getting back to your complaint, you wont have to worry what games are compatible , because ALL games will be compatible.
With consoles you have to keep buying the new console or revision every few years.

- GAMES. Console games will always cost more because M$ and Sony have to get a cut. So all new games will be $60-$70 and the price wont go down easy.
PC games will be expensive the first week or twothey are released then they do down in price or have sales that go down sometimes 50% or more. PC games will always be cheaper. Also bigger libraries. Steam, Origin, Battle.net, Epic, etc, thousands of games available. And new ones are released all the time.

- Online. Free. You pay the ISP and thats it. No additional fee just to play the games online. Online and social tools are also miles ahead of consoles.

- Controls. PC controls are always going to be better. You can even use multiple types of controllers including Xbox and Playstation controllers on PC. And a bunch of other obscure controller types like flight controllers, guns, etc.
While I do agree that some games are played better with a controller, Most are controlled better with a mouse and keyboard. Especially games like FPS's or 3rd person adventure games, etc. Playing those games on a controller is like tying sand bags on your legs while running a race.

In the long run its more expensive to own consoles (even though it doesn't seem that way to most), buy all their overpriced games (and your selection is limited to your specific console), buy all their over priced accessories, pay to play online (besides your IPS as well), etc. Most are so used to playing consoles all their lives that anything else seems outrageous.

Lastly the day the Playstation 5 or Next Xbox is released in the future it will already be outdated the day they hit the market.

Anyhow that is why PC + Nintendo combo is best thumb up

Last edited by Inhuman on Dec 19th, 2018 at 10:33 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 10:23 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn

Forgot to add in the beginning of my previous post....

"Its not just about graphics. To me that inst that important. The following things are though"
Let me break it down.....

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 10:40 PM
cdtm

I have a laptop with integrated video, barely enough ram, and an aging processor. It's in no way meant for gaming.

I've done nothing but game on it lately. .

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 10:47 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Let me break it down.

- Upgrading misconception. assuming most have a decent PC already. All that needs upgrading is to get a current top graphics card, current CPU (i5,i7), and a current motherboard. Maybe ram as well if yours is super old.
This is a one time expense because that will last you at MINIMUM two Sony/M$ console generations (if not more). So you wont have to upgrade again for many years. When these components get a bit outdated all that happens is that you wont be able to run games at ULTRA high anymore, but setting everything to medium still looks better than consoles or the same. That way, getting back to your complaint, you wont have to worry what games are compatible , because ALL games will be compatible.
With consoles you have to keep buying the new console or revision every few years.

- GAMES. Console games will always cost more because M$ and Sony have to get a cut. So all new games will be $60-$70 and the price wont go down easy.
PC games will be expensive the first week or twothey are released then they do down in price or have sales that go down sometimes 50% or more. PC games will always be cheaper. Also bigger libraries. Steam, Origin, Battle.net, Epic, etc, thousands of games available. And new ones are released all the time.

- Online. Free. You pay the ISP and thats it. No additional fee just to play the games online. Online and social tools are also miles ahead of consoles.

- Controls. PC controls are always going to be better. You can even use multiple types of controllers including Xbox and Playstation controllers on PC. And a bunch of other obscure controller types like flight controllers, guns, etc.
While I do agree that some games are played better with a controller, Most are controlled better with a mouse and keyboard. Especially games like FPS's or 3rd person adventure games, etc. Playing those games on a controller is like tying sand bags on your legs while running a race.

In the long run its more expensive to own consoles (even though it doesn't seem that way to most), buy all their overpriced games (and your selection is limited to your specific console), buy all their over priced accessories, pay to play online (besides your IPS as well), etc. Most are so used to playing consoles all their lives that anything else seems outrageous.

Lastly the day the Playstation 5 or Next Xbox is released in the future it will already be outdated the day they hit the market.

"Better" is relative. No one sets up a fighting game tournament using a pc port. Compared to a standardized console, setting one up would be a nightmare.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 10:51 PM
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Originally posted by cdtm
"Better" is relative. No one sets up a fighting game tournament using a pc port. Compared to a standardized console, setting one up would be a nightmare.

I do agree that it can be argued that there are very few things that consoles could do better like what you described. Also Fighting games, Sports games, party games, racing games (maybe). Everything else just falls short to PC gaming.
And everyone has noticed that Sony or M$ dont even innovate anymore they just release more powerful versions of their previous console. All they are now a days (even the upcoming ones) are Jr. PC's. There is only so many times they can try to "WOW" console people by showing them that the graphics of the new gen console are 15% better. Now with better lighting, better water effects ,... yawn.

Anyhow , back to topic . This is why i think Nintendo should continue to make consoles. Their consoles compliment PC gamers the best. IMO. They actually try to innovate and change things up (even if they are not always successful). Instead of just just more powerful hardware over and over and over and thats it.

Last edited by Inhuman on Dec 19th, 2018 at 11:09 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2018 10:57 PM
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Let me break it down.

I'll admit I definitely didn't read all that, but there's absolutely no way you can have the same PC gear for two console generations. PS3 launched in 2005, ffs. That's pure insanity.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Dec 20th, 2018 02:41 AM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

For me as a PC gamer, Nintendo consoles are the only ones I even consider buying.
There is zero reason for me to buy an Xbox or Playstation. Most of the types of games I enjoy that sort of interest me on xbox or playstation I can get better versions of them on PC. With better online(+ its free), better patches, mods, better controls, graphics, bigger libraries of games, etc.

Nintendo consoles give me something different I cant get on PC. So a PC + Nintendo console is the best combo.

Personally I think Playstation now has better exclusives than Nintendo.

Also, yeah, keeping the same PC for two console generations isn't going to work unless you like playing at lower than the minimum recommendations and games running at like 5 fps. You can get by with a PC for maybe 7 years these days. But you'll need to upgrade the graphics card after a few years for sure, at the very least. It also depends on when you build your computer. This computer I'm on right now I built in 2013 and then upgraded the graphics card in 2016 and it still runs everything pretty well. Should be able to use it another year or two before really needing to upgrade.

Last edited by BackFire on Dec 20th, 2018 at 03:50 AM

Old Post Dec 20th, 2018 03:41 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

did you guys watch the video to dissect it? :P

Old Post Dec 20th, 2018 04:19 AM
Jmanghan

The way I see it, would it be awesome to have BoTW, up in 4K, 60FPS, and pushed to its limits? Hell yes.

On the switch it was pushed so damn hard to get where it even was, despite the huge graphical capability upgrade from the Wii U to the Switch, in some areas it still chugs, hard, especially in the Lost Woods.

Mat makes good points, like how Nintendo saw a huge increase in sales upon announcing they were bringing games to the mobile market, how hard it is to stay afloat what with so many games coming to smartphones and being made for smartphones. Some of which appeal to even hardcore gamers.

All of this is huge... except, I don't think Nintendo's aim is ENTIRELY sales. They WANT to stay in the console market because they believe the world wants them, and they're right. The creativity and innovation that goes into Nintendo's consoles has been staggering, and I believe thats why the focus doesn't go into having the best graphics, because it goes into literally every single other thing. JUST LOOK at what the Joy-Cons can do, motion controls, rumble, singular controllers, and they have so many more functions beyond that, and they're so damn tiny. On top of Amiibo's starting to be hard to find, and all the peripherals and frequent releases, and being the biggest first-party developer out there, with the most first-party games, it's just a lot.

However, Nintendo would find so much more success and money if they did go into third-party developing for all consoles and bowed out of the console market, they've changed so much about how we play games and imo, if this was their last console, I'd be sad and happy, but I'd still say, they've done enough, and if they ever did leave, it'd be of their own accord, not because they were forced to, like Sega.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2018 04:37 AM