KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » "Should Nintendo stop making consoles?"

"Should Nintendo stop making consoles?"
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I like the direction MS is taking with their ecosystem.

- pushing Game Pass significantly
- will probably the be the leading contender for streaming based on their vast enterprise ecosystem and cloud infrastructure.
- don't really give a shit if you play on the PC, Xbox, any device that can stream.
- making significant contributions to their software with 7 new developing studios.

As for Nintendo, they got their niche and it will continue to be good for years to come unless people get sick of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

And for Sony, they got first party for now but lets see what happens with Xbox over the next few years. Also, I will be very interested in seeing if old dick Sony comes back and tries to be cocky as shit again. I don't think Sony can do another PS4 and be as successful.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2018 05:16 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian

- will probably the be the leading contender for streaming based on their vast enterprise ecosystem and cloud infrastructure.
- don't really give a shit if you play on the PC, Xbox, any device that can stream.
- making significant contributions to their software with 7 new developing studios.

As for Nintendo, they got their niche and it will continue to be good for years to come unless people get sick of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

And for Sony, they got first party for now but lets see what happens with Xbox over the next few years. Also, I will be very interested in seeing if old dick Sony comes back and tries to be cocky as shit again. I don't think Sony can do another PS4 and be as successful.
Sick of Zelda? Sure.

Sick of Mario? Idk man, people love Mario so much, and he's pretty much the face of gaming.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Dec 20th, 2018 06:02 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yeah I really love a lot of what MS is doing lately. Their next console, as long as they don't **** up like they did with the initial announcement/release of the One should be a big hit. The gamepass thing is an awesome concept and being able to play MS esclusives on the PC or the console via a single purchase is really great. They should be a force to be reckoned with in the future.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2018 07:33 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I trust Phil Spencer to make valid choices when it comes to the next console.

I think the biggest thing MS can do is announce a major publisher like Ubisoft/EA/Bethesda releaseing new titles day one on the Game Pass. If they can get one of those, it's a coup and can be a huge thing.

The original Xbox One announcement was disastrous but they were ahead of the curve regarding download titles and such. With music streaming, Netflix being big business, I cannot see the Game Pass being pushed away by a younger generation.

Especially if they get a third party publisher to release day one on Game Pass for new titles.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2018 09:49 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Sick of Zelda? Sure.

Sick of Mario? Idk man, people love Mario so much, and he's pretty much the face of gaming.

Most likely won't happen but there systems do well because of those characters. If people get bored....it might be a terrible for Nintendo.

Will it happen? Probably not. Disney has been living the dream with the cast of characters they have created.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2018 09:51 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I trust Phil Spencer to make valid choices when it comes to the next console.

I think the biggest thing MS can do is announce a major publisher like Ubisoft/EA/Bethesda releaseing new titles day one on the Game Pass. If they can get one of those, it's a coup and can be a huge thing.

The original Xbox One announcement was disastrous but they were ahead of the curve regarding download titles and such. With music streaming, Netflix being big business, I cannot see the Game Pass being pushed away by a younger generation.

Especially if they get a third party publisher to release day one on Game Pass for new titles.

There are rumors even that MS may buy EA and make some of their games exclusives. I hope this doesn't happen, but it's a possibility.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2018 10:52 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Most likely won't happen but there systems do well because of those characters. If people get bored....it might be a terrible for Nintendo.

Every system has characters and franchises the use over and over and over again. And they will keep milking these franchises till people get bored of them like you said. people just seem to think that Nintendo is the only one recycling and using the same franchises.

- Grand theft auto
- Red Dead
- Madden
- God if war
- Halo
- call of duty
- battlefield
- FIFA
- Uncharted
- Kingdom hearts
- Metal Gear
- Resident Evil
- Fallout
- Gears of War
- Tom Clancy games
- Final Fantasy
- Tomb Raider
- Forza Motorsport
- Monster Hunter
- etc
All these are being used over and over and over again by Sony and M$.

Anyhow Nintendo Systems are not perfect and they always have their issues that piss me off. If I didn't game on a PC that shits on consoles, these issues will be huge and I probably wouldn't even game on a Nintendo system. I would probably game on a PlayStation or Xbox.
Another thing is profit. Last I read a few years back Nintendo was making the biggest profit off of console and game sales over the other two companies. M$ was losing money for every console sold a few years back. Dont know if its still that way. Sony's game division was also hurting. These 2 companies are huge and the gaming divisions are just a small part of it. Even though they might not make as much profit as they would like , the rest of the company makes up for loses.

Last edited by Inhuman on Dec 20th, 2018 at 11:10 PM

Old Post Dec 20th, 2018 10:56 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Difference is, Nintendo's been doing this since 1986.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2018 12:06 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

Originally posted by cdtm
Difference is, Nintendo's been doing this since 1986.

I bet Sony and M$ will be doing it after 32 years (and beyond) as well with most of the franchises i posted. There are certainly heading that way in full force yet most dont seem to notice it.
I dont care as long as the games are good and worth the sequels. The finger pointing to make it seem just Nintendo is doing it is dumb though.

Last edited by Inhuman on Dec 21st, 2018 at 12:34 AM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2018 12:20 AM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Gameboy Advance SP was the best.

Still own one. Still works.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2018 12:29 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I liked my monochrome. Also still works.

The snap on light had a cozyness, like reading a book by flashlight.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2018 01:27 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by BackFire
There are rumors even that MS may buy EA and make some of their games exclusives. I hope this doesn't happen, but it's a possibility.

There was rumours for basically any company.

The most intriguing for MS (and probably not for gamers) was Valve. MS is pushing hard on PC gaming and having the number 1 store on the PC Market would be a huge get. However, if this would ever happen, it might be very good for gamers in the sense that Portal 3, Left 4 Dead 3 and Half Life 3 would be in production....and if they keep the same talent, might be very very good.

Would cost a ton....so I don't think any of these major publishers would be picked up. Personally, they will probably poach dev companies who are creating new/interesting games but are basically living paycheck by paycheck.

That's why they could pick Ninja Theory, Obsidian and others because those companies would fail if they produced one stinker.

As long as MS leaves these companies to do things themselves but just flash the cash, it could work out for gamers. If they do what they did 15 years ago and try to force MS policies/ethos into the structure, it could end ugly. I'm assuming they have learned their lesson.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2018 03:08 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Inhuman
Every system has characters and franchises the use over and over and over again. And they will keep milking these franchises till people get bored of them like you said. people just seem to think that Nintendo is the only one recycling and using the same franchises.

- Grand theft auto
- Red Dead
- Madden
- God if war
- Halo
- call of duty
- battlefield
- FIFA
- Uncharted
- Kingdom hearts
- Metal Gear
- Resident Evil
- Fallout
- Gears of War
- Tom Clancy games
- Final Fantasy
- Tomb Raider
- Forza Motorsport
- Monster Hunter
- etc
All these are being used over and over and over again by Sony and M$.

Anyhow Nintendo Systems are not perfect and they always have their issues that piss me off. If I didn't game on a PC that shits on consoles, these issues will be huge and I probably wouldn't even game on a Nintendo system. I would probably game on a PlayStation or Xbox.
Another thing is profit. Last I read a few years back Nintendo was making the biggest profit off of console and game sales over the other two companies. M$ was losing money for every console sold a few years back. Dont know if its still that way. Sony's game division was also hurting. These 2 companies are huge and the gaming divisions are just a small part of it. Even though they might not make as much profit as they would like , the rest of the company makes up for loses.

First, most of the games you are talking about are not owned by Microsoft and Sony so that point is invalid. Microsoft and Sony are not "recycling" anything aside for the franchise they have and the argument could be made that Nintendo has recycled their characters a lot more than Sony/MS. It's not just their main titles (Breath of the Wild for example) but how every other first party title has them in it. We have Mario Tennis, Mario XCOM, Odyssey, Super Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash Bros...and that's just two years.

Second, that wasn't my point. The point was Nintendo leaves/dies on their major franchises. People pick up Nintendo products because of their beloved characters. And they produce great games (I think overrated but that's just my opinion). If people got bored (which will probably not happen), their systems make take a huge hit.

Third, losing money on every console sold has been a staple for consoles for generations. The money was in games and licensing fees. I don't believe thats the case anymore but in the end, MS is the big dog. They have the most diverse company out of the three systems and I believe are the most valuable company in the world at this moment...I might be wrong....but basically, MS can take hits in the their gaming division while Sony/Nintendo cannot.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2018 03:17 AM
Jmanghan

2022 bump

Old Post Jan 20th, 2022 03:10 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

The thing with the switch was it was a combo of GameCube, Wii and Wii u. Controller wise.

Yet they knew they always did more successfully with their handhelds.

I guess if I got a switch and played motion controls portably like on a train or an aeroplane, I'd be really happy. Imagine playing prime 4 on the go with the motion controls. Or taking it to a party and play just dance or wario ware with friends. Those were the kind of games I loved about the Wii.

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Jan 26th, 2022 08:34 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'm on the oppposite side of that....If Metroid Prime 4 does get released, I rather play at home on a TV than using it as a handheld.

Strangely enough, I would probably prefer the titles (non-AAA titles) that are being released on Game Pass every month for handheld gaming than stuff that Nintendo produces.

I'm speaking about

Old Post Jan 26th, 2022 11:20 PM
Jmanghan

As far as the Switch goes, if anything I'm mostly worried about the drift, it even happens with the pro controllers.

Like I'm sure SOMEONE here breaks out their NES or SNES to play games, even if it's like once a year, with the Switch if you break it out like that, the drift will get worse and worse.

It's not overblown either, the problem is that the hardware is damaging itself every time you turn in games using the analog stick. There have been tons of "fixes", but it doesn't seem to have legitimately helped.

The problem is that when Nintendo stops offering those free repairs, it's gonna suck down the line in like 10 years from now when you try and play your switch but you can't actually play it because of a stupid hardware issue.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2022 11:51 AM