KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Star Wars: The Mandalorian
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
But he did the same thing Gina did: hyperbolic comparison to nazis. And Gunn's tweets being in the past are irrelevant given disney didn't seem to care about that at the time.

A maga hat is one of those red hats that say "make america great again". Pascal equated anyone who wears the hat to nazis.

Since you're not from America you probably won't realize that people have literally been attacked for merely just wearing the hat in public. Not for wearing the hat and saying something vile or anything like that, just for merely wearing the hat. Even children as young as 10 have been attacked for wearing it.

So one could argue it's just as dangerous for him to push the conspiracy(and I don't know what else to call it) that anyone wearing that red hat is a nazi.

Fair enough.

And yeah its clearly hypocritical. But as I told Vault I really doubt Disney are left wing. Its more about hashtag complaints and the FireGina# has had the full Woke brigade behind it for a while now.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 02:27 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Fair enough.

And yeah Disney dont have any actual morals. I doubt they are even left wing themselves. They just care about 1)money and 2)whats trending in terms of complaints (because it could effect their income, so money again).

Yeah, they basically take whatever course will benefit their wallets the most. The issue of consistent moral standards is a far away second behind their profit margins.

I suspect Gina Carano will actually be fine in the long run though. Wouldn't be surprised if some rival company jumps on this and scoops her up for another project down the line. Because, despite all the controversy and stupid social media shenanigans, it seems like she still has a pretty large and loyal fan base who support her. And if not, she has a net worth in the millions if I am not mistaken, so she won't be tight on cash any time soon.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 02:56 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well she is going to be developing a film with...the daily wire lol. She just announced that.

erm

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 02:56 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh perhaps it wasn't mentioned in here, but she wasn't just fired by disney her talent agency booted her as well.

She's more or less blacklisted and is only going to be able to find work with right wing media now I'd guess. Financially I'm sure she will be fine, but her career seems to be more or less over with.

Last edited by Surtur on Feb 13th, 2021 at 03:02 PM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 02:58 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by samhain
Have you heard that HeelsVsBabyface guy? His screeching about cancel culture makes that Quartering guy look dignified and statesmanlike. I literally only listened to about 4 minutes of one of his videos and was immediately put off. It was supposed to be about how bad the new Equalizer TV show is, so I watched hoping for some decent critique of the writing or some such, all he did was complain that a white guy shot a black guy and complain about Queen Latifah's weight like it wasn't realistic, as though Edward Woodward was having high-octane superfights every week on the original version.

Never heard of him, to be honest. But just that name is enough to raise an eyebrow. But thanks, now if he does crop up I at least know to skip past him. Because if it makes The Quartering look good then, yeah, I can't imagine it being worth the watch.

It's actually hard to find proper reviewers nowadays who don't let their politics leech into their opinions on things. That's why I most often rather look at audience scores or reviews in more recent times, because most regular people aren't trying to cater to a specific audience to increase subs/following and are just giving their opinions.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 03:01 PM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fair enough.

And yeah Disney dont have any actual morals. I doubt they are even left wing themselves. They just care about 1)money and 2)whats trending in terms of complaints (because it could effect their income, so money again).

Wouldn't be too surprised if genuine social activism is in the mix.

The Redskins name change came under heavy pressure from some hedge funds. If you look at who owns hedge's, you'll find a lot of people with activist roots, who funded some cause or another.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 03:04 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Oh perhaps it wasn't made clear, but she wasn't just fired by disney her talent agency booted her as well.

She's more or less blacklisted and is only going to be able to find work with right wing media now I'd guess. Financially I'm sure she will be fine, but her career seems to be more or less over with.

Maybe. Depends on how well the Daily Wire can put something together. Also, didn't Daily Wire make that Run, Hide, Fight movie with Thomas Jane in it? So, looks like they might be making a proper go of it. As long as it's not a bunch of preachy Jesus movies I think a lot of people who aren't into politics might still give it a shot.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 03:07 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes I think they did, so maybe they will succeed.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 03:09 PM
Darth Thor

Oh perhaps it wasn't mentioned in here, but she wasn't just fired by disney her talent agency booted her as well.

Yeah its pretty sad. She says its her dream to make her own film like she is with daily wire. But realistically shes likely not going anywhere. Wheras at Disney she was almost the lead in her own Star Wars show.

I will still hope Disney takes her back in a year like to her did with Gunn. But I doubt it.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 03:51 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Never heard of him, to be honest. But just that name is enough to raise an eyebrow. But thanks, now if he does crop up I at least know to skip past him. Because if it makes The Quartering look good then, yeah, I can't imagine it being worth the watch.

It's actually hard to find proper reviewers nowadays who don't let their politics leech into their opinions on things. That's why I most often rather look at audience scores or reviews in more recent times, because most regular people aren't trying to cater to a specific audience to increase subs/following and are just giving their opinions.

I'll be avoiding him now too. It's like being stuck in detention before the teacher shows up with the biggest pr!ck in school who thinks he's the funniest guy in school.

Seems there are a lot of 'content providers' getting more political with their vids. They probably do a video slating Batwoman or Kathleen Kennedy and it gets multiple times their normal viewing figures so they go all in.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 04:40 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Gina isn't hurt by her firing. She's actually the heiress to a billionaire family that owns dozens of companies. Which is probably why she felt she could say whatever she wanted with no consequences.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 04:50 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fair enough.

And yeah its clearly hypocritical. But as I told Vault I really doubt Disney are left wing. Its more about hashtag complaints and the FireGina# has had the full Woke brigade behind it for a while now.

See I disagree with the notion this was a business decision, I think it was about politics and yes I do think the higher ups have political beliefs that are the opposite of hers.

When you think about it, there is no real rationality to Disney feeling their bottom line will truly be impacted because a vocal but small amount of people complain on twitter. I just think they didn't like her politics and used this to finally get rid of her. I think it is less that they thought keeping her around would hurt them than they thought that getting rid of her wouldn't really hurt them. Their decisions regarding China make sense from a monetary stand point, but not with Gina.

And you know for as many people who want her gone I'm sure there are just as many people out there who supported Gina and are upset over the fact she is gone. Yet they got rid of her anyways, so clearly they are more comfortable with upsetting one side than the other, right?

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 07:04 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by KingD19
Gina isn't hurt by her firing. She's actually the heiress to a billionaire family that owns dozens of companies. Which is probably why she felt she could say whatever she wanted with no consequences.

Financially she will be fine sure, but her career is for all intents and purposes over. Remember Colin Kaepernick is rich and will be fine and yet some people still complained over the fact his career was more or less over.

I had assumed she began doing acting because it was just a fun thing for her to do, but apparently it's her dream to be in the business and now that is over merely because she has the wrong politics. Obviously she is going to act happy over her new deal, but I doubt producing a movie with the daily wire was what she wanted for her career.

And if the politics of everyone involved in all this was reversed we'd be hearing accusations of sexism hurled at Disney.

Last edited by Surtur on Feb 13th, 2021 at 07:13 PM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2021 07:11 PM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

See I disagree with the notion this was a business decision, I think it was about politics and yes I do think the higher ups have political beliefs that are the opposite of hers.

When you think about it, there is no real rationality to Disney feeling their bottom line will truly be impacted because a vocal but small amount of people complain on twitter. I just think they didn't like her politics and used this to finally get rid of her. I think it is less that they thought keeping her around would hurt them than they thought that getting rid of her wouldn't really hurt them. Their decisions regarding China make sense from a monetary stand point, but not with Gina.

And you know for as many people who want her gone I'm sure there are just as many people out there who supported Gina and are upset over the fact she is gone. Yet they got rid of her anyways, so clearly they are more comfortable with upsetting one side than the other, right?

It's not just about people complaining on social media though. It's about the cultural institutions aligned with them and the power they wield. One side will complain and maybe cancel their subscriptions. Drop in the ocean for Disney. Other side will complain, their allies amongst media personalities, reviewers etc, will likely align with their position, a bunch of university professors and lecturers will probably write a bunch of papers about Disney courting fringe beliefs and such, which then get passed onto the next generation who attend those institutions. So, maybe not in the short term, but it would definitely have a financial impact over a longer stretch of time. They want to be in sync with whichever side controls the cultural institutions because it's more profitable to their reputation, and therefore their financial success, in the long run. If the other side had that predominant control of those institutions it would probably have been Pedro Pascal getting the boot.

Either way, Disney are a bunch of shit hypocrites with no legitimate ethical standing.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Feb 14th, 2021 at 07:00 AM

Old Post Feb 14th, 2021 06:55 AM
Darth Thor

The Woke brigade certainly has a lot of influence over these things. And I think they got involved when Gina made fun of the ridiculous political correctness of it (concerning referring to transgenders as Hes or Shes)

Old Post Feb 14th, 2021 10:39 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

The counter culture to those institutions is pretty visable though. If they were smart, they'd seriously reconsider any actions that pour gasoline on the fire, and result in another White House debacle.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2021 02:24 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Well, my main point really is that I think Disney picks and chooses who or what the company aligns with depending on how they perceive it will impact financial success, both short- and long term.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2021 02:34 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, my main point really is that I think Disney picks and chooses who or what the company aligns with depending on how they perceive it will impact financial success, both short- and long term.

That's not sjw's though.

Its Gamergate types who eat up Star Wars. They're the ones buying the merchandise, religiously following any media with the brand on it, and filling up views of Jordan Peterson.

All this SJW pandering is odd when you think about who your typical sci-fi consumer is.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2021 02:43 PM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by cdtm
That's not sjw's though.

Its Gamergate types who eat up Star Wars. They're the ones buying the merchandise, religiously following any media with the brand on it, and filling up views of Jordan Peterson.

All this SJW pandering is odd when you think about who your typical sci-fi consumer is.

I never said it's a good strategy. I think they're going to end up whittling away a large part of their core fan base if they continue down this road. But, as I pointed out, it's not just the people who complain on twitter etc. It's who's aligned with them. In my opinion, Disney doesn't want a bad rep with the cultural and media institutions that tend to be in alignment with these individuals. For example, if 500,000 people unsubscribe from Disney+ due to this, it's 500,000 people out of like 95 million that they lose. Which is a bad hit, for sure. But a one-off for the most part. But if they fall out with those institutions and have them turn against Disney it could potentially have a more significant continuous negative impact.

But, as I said, I'm more concerned with Disney turning a blind eye to the Chinese government's human rights abuses (which is happening in a number of places across the world) than anything relating specifically to American culture and politics. They have no business lecturing anyone on morals or "abhorrent" behaviour while they continue to do so.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2021 03:14 PM
Darth Thor

Yeah like Chris Pratt is a conservative. But im guessing it would take some serious next level shit for Disney to fire him

Carano was still a relative nobody for them.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2021 06:45 PM