KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » The Outer Worlds

The Outer Worlds
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Not feeling this game.....

The lack of variety of weapons, armor and enemies is killing it.
I have no vested interest in the overall storyline or characters.

I'm not a big fan of the skill or perks system either. Increasing skills doesn't make any tangible difference. The perks are boring as hell (aka....perk increases 20% weakpoint damage).....

It's a well made game....no bugs, looks good, sounds good and voice acting is great. Writing seems to be OK too.

However, the rest of the game is middle of the road. It's all functional for sure but nothing stands out. It's blah.

Prefer Fallout or Skyrim far more than this game.
Yeah, I felt this as I got on. Strong start but the longer you play, the more it showed its faults. The only companions worth anything were Parvati and Vicar Max. ESPECIALLY Vicar Max. Dude was the best companion I've ever encountered in these types of games. Great character arc, and legit lol @ everything that came out of his mouth.

Other than that, loot variety was super lacking which killed exploration. Enemy variety was nonexistent. Speech checks only ever amounted to some extra XP and rarely impacted the mission. Same with science/engineering/medical checks. The few times it did impact a mission, it was pointless because you could find the key to the electronic lock a foot away or it only ended up getting you out of an easy combat encounter or something. A lot of the "choice" was super surface level.

Like you said, perks were trash and didn't impact much.

Story was boring. It's a space opera. They should have gone full sci-fi and brought in different alien civilizations and whatnot. The actual struggle/big point of the game was beyond boring. The antagonist was also really unforgettable (a single member of the corporate board I heard so much about all damn game?), and didn't even show up until near the end.

This definitely was not New Vegas. I get it's not a triple A entry from them, but that doesn't excuse it's RPG faults. Hopefully the sequel is better since they'll have that Microsoft funding.

PWNT

Old Post Nov 15th, 2019 01:28 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Speech checks are a joke. I enjoy games that allow you to go through encounters using persuasion or speech skills. I always felt Fallout/Skyrim did it well.

But they become meaningless when every conversation allows you to use them. And due to the how skill are done, you have 50 skill level in all three categories so at every single conversation, I have the ability to finish the quest easily.

Also, I understand peoples complaints about lock picking and hacking minigames being removed but I miss them. Why have lock picking when it's so easy to find lock picks and 90% of the containers are around level 25 requirements. But I realized loot is god awful so who cares! Oh, I get more ammo..which increases my ammo from 2090 to 3000!

There is no immersion at all. Areas feel like a map. It's all the same. Same enemy types wearing the same looking armour. The same 3 alien animals.....each building has the same textures and look and layout. It has the same looking desk, door and toilet. It's filled with way too many consumable that are useless...because the game is easy and you receive way too many health packs. Do enemies have levels? At least in Fallout, if you wander into a deathclaw camp, you get destroyed...or go through 90 stimpaks.

And the biggest problem.....Fallout is filled with cool little moments. It's hard to explain but I still remember some of the things I ran into while playing Fallout 3. Or Fallout 4. I forget what has happened in this game because it's carbon copy.

For instance, Fallout 3 had a neat area with two families that were cannibals/incest and it was great. It was intriguing.

The Outer Worlds copies this but it's just one family and so obvious they were cannibals. And to defeat the quest, I just hacked the door and I was done. It was lame.

Disappointing game and I really don't understand praise it is getting. Yes, the conversations choices are good but nothing else stands above anything Bioware or Bethesda has done.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2019 02:00 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Sounds like Mass Effect 1.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2019 02:50 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Smasandian
Speech checks are a joke. I enjoy games that allow you to go through encounters using persuasion or speech skills. I always felt Fallout/Skyrim did it well.

But they become meaningless when every conversation allows you to use them. And due to the how skill are done, you have 50 skill level in all three categories so at every single conversation, I have the ability to finish the quest easily.

Also, I understand peoples complaints about lock picking and hacking minigames being removed but I miss them. Why have lock picking when it's so easy to find lock picks and 90% of the containers are around level 25 requirements. But I realized loot is god awful so who cares! Oh, I get more ammo..which increases my ammo from 2090 to 3000!

There is no immersion at all. Areas feel like a map. It's all the same. Same enemy types wearing the same looking armour. The same 3 alien animals.....each building has the same textures and look and layout. It has the same looking desk, door and toilet. It's filled with way too many consumable that are useless...because the game is easy and you receive way too many health packs. Do enemies have levels? At least in Fallout, if you wander into a deathclaw camp, you get destroyed...or go through 90 stimpaks.

And the biggest problem.....Fallout is filled with cool little moments. It's hard to explain but I still remember some of the things I ran into while playing Fallout 3. Or Fallout 4. I forget what has happened in this game because it's carbon copy.

For instance, Fallout 3 had a neat area with two families that were cannibals/incest and it was great. It was intriguing.

The Outer Worlds copies this but it's just one family and so obvious they were cannibals. And to defeat the quest, I just hacked the door and I was done. It was lame.

Disappointing game and I really don't understand praise it is getting. Yes, the conversations choices are good but nothing else stands above anything Bioware or Bethesda has done.
Well the problem might just be you have really bad taste if you think Skyrim did persuasion or speech well tbh.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2019 03:27 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by cdtm
Sounds like Mass Effect 1.

In some cases, yes, it feels like Bioware.

The difference is Mass Effect had an excellent storyline, really good characters (and a lot more of them) and a very interesting universe.

This has none of that. In the 15-20 hours so far, the main quest is about getting chemicals to bring your colonists back.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2019 04:31 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

So how is this game btw?

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jun 13th, 2021 11:23 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

A missed opportunity.

I hope the sequel fixes all the problems I had with this game.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2021 12:21 AM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

I bought it and beat it the first month it came out, so it has gone out of my mind quite a bit, but I do know it was a pretty disappointing experience.

Not only was it a lot more shallow than I thought it'd be, it was also a very easy game. Like... even on the hardest difficulty, you could steamroll through it.

The story was very forgettable, as in I dont even remember it. I do seem to remember it ending fairly abruptly, though.

Last edited by Trocity on Jun 14th, 2021 at 03:20 AM

Old Post Jun 14th, 2021 03:13 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah. I don't really remember it either...

I just remember the bad things...like how each planet had the same monsters/enemies.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2021 04:20 AM