KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Resident Evil Village

Resident Evil Village
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Just finished it. I'm not sure I liked this game more than RE7. It's still a great game but there is a few places where I got really frustrated. There is a section near the end that was not fun at all for me.

Old Post May 16th, 2021 03:49 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

The voice actress for Cassandra(and a couple others), Jeannette Maus, died earlier this year. I didn't know. RIP.

https://kotaku.com/jeanette-maus-ac...s-at-1846148758

Old Post May 17th, 2021 08:40 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Just finished it. I'm not sure I liked this game more than RE7. It's still a great game but there is a few places where I got really frustrated. There is a section near the end that was not fun at all for me.

You talking [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Heisenberg's level right? It definitely felt slightly too long, especially compared to the others.

I definitely had some gripes with the game, although I did really like it. I am specifically talking about Angie's scenario when I say it's some of best horror ever though.

- at least one boss fight is ****ing annoying.....not because I'm not good but because the boss fight is insta death if you don't move in the correct way at the start of the fight. It's hard to explain without giving away anything but your in a tight corridor and the boss runs right at you. If you move back not enough...the boss angles towards you and traps and kills you...but you move back a bit further...the "scripted" event happens and allows you go behind him...but you dont know that.....

- i also don't like it when the game doesn't tell you to run.........because 90% of the areas and encounters has non-respawing enemies and the game is built for you to kill everybody to get Lei...but a couple of areas are not like that..so it's really immersion breaking when you die 5 times before realizing...oh...i need to run.

You mean the [SPOILER - highlight to read]: giant fetus or [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Sturm?

That final encounter with [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Sturm did screw with me. I thought you were supposed to run, which wound up trapping me. The rest of the game felt fine to me, but it was really hard to tell this event was a fight moment.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 17th, 2021 at 09:09 PM

Old Post May 17th, 2021 08:58 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I know a lot of people didn't love the factory area, but I thought it was pretty solid.

Old Post May 17th, 2021 09:50 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I didn't mind the factory level. I enjoyed the industrial level aspect to it and I enjoyed how the enemies were significantly tougher than previous levels.

Yes, StyleTime, the final encounter is exactly what I was talking about. The start of the fight...I ran back towards the entrance to the area (and it made sense to me considering the boss)...but I ran too early and it just angle towards me. I got stuck because the walls are up and had nowhere to go....it just bad design because it took 10 tries or so to realize I was too quick.

I got really frustrated at the last village area near the end. I really do not like respawning enemies and it was just frustrating because I kept on getting caught by the lycans attack...and then you have to wait until they are done eating you..and then run away again....and then you get caught in the scripted attack.....it was the opposite of fun and just ruined most of the ending sequence.

Old Post May 17th, 2021 11:59 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Don't get me wrong, I thought the factory was neat overall.

Also, it blows my mind people unlocked the light saber on release day. I just got my first A rank in Mercenaries, and these folks already did SS on all levels over a week ago. SSS rank on some. I took a small break to play some other games, but holy ****.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 20th, 2021 at 03:18 AM

Old Post May 20th, 2021 03:12 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post May 25th, 2021 05:28 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I'm surprised it took it this long tbh. They already collaborated with Silent Hill and Left 4 Dead, and I'd love seeing more horror games join in. It'd be like Smash Bros for Horror.

Apparently, Nemesis can spawn zombies on the map, which is going to be interesting. Players will have to deal with the game's first ever A.I. minions. And they have to deal with the T-Virus infection mechanic, which also powers up Nemesis' moves. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 25th, 2021 at 10:43 PM

Old Post May 25th, 2021 10:35 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Am glad it wasnt Lady Dimitrescu like I suspected with the usual me assuming the worst. Her simp army got put in its place and learned just as every character fan has that they cant have their shit be put in everything. lmao

Also appreciate how this feels like a more faithful Nemesis experience than what we got last year.

Old Post May 25th, 2021 10:56 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

And a more better Resident Evil multiplayer experience than that ReVerse and speaking of it, you guys know that thing is STILL in the works? Has yet to make contact with the public outside the beta and the beta for that was short lived. Were I Capcom, I'd just put it out of it's misery already. They had a chance to get a bustling online playerbase in the Mercenaries mode we should've gotten in RE3. You know: where the mode was first born?

Old Post May 26th, 2021 12:30 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Even without them taking the time to animate fancy melee moves/finishers, going around in an RE3make mercenaries as Jill, Carlos, and whoever else they could port (from like the remakes of both 2 and 3) wouldve been preferable to the watered down version we got of it in 8.

And the Resistance mode should have been delayed like ReVerse is (even better if the latter is cancelled) so we could have gotten a better RE3 reimagining. smh Capcom.

Old Post May 26th, 2021 12:39 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think they shouldn't do anything multiplayer wise....the strength of this series is the campaign....

Old Post May 26th, 2021 12:44 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Mercenaries is a fan favorite mode whose existence has not been at the expense of the main game like with those multiplayer modes and all the needless time/resources that go into them.

Old Post May 26th, 2021 12:53 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, modes like Mercenaries are cool (even though I do not like it) and they re-use games resources in a intelligent way. Spend time reworking stuff like that!

Creating a shit multiplayer game....**** that. I had the same feeling with Metal Gear Solid 5, which had a more unique take on multiplayer but they didn't finish the ****ing game! Rather have that done before slipping in a multiplayer portion.

Old Post May 26th, 2021 01:18 AM
StyleTime

The biggest annoyance for me was Mercenaries 3D. I think the 3DS was a cool handheld, but it annoyed me how so many companies tried to force their games into being 3DS series.

The fandom love for Mercenaries grew so large that people were willing to buy a standalone Mercenaries game, BUT THEN THEY MADE IT FOR 3DS ONLY. WTF!

And now, thanks to that, I feel like it'll be a looong time before they try again. I would LOVE a console/PC Mercenaries game that builds upon the game as it was during its peak.

RE8 Mercs is still cool and I like it, but it really is more like Raid than Mercenaries. They probably should have just called it that. Raid was pretty cool too.

Last edited by StyleTime on May 26th, 2021 at 02:41 AM

Old Post May 26th, 2021 02:37 AM
Arachnid1

Originally posted by BackFire
I just completed the game.

Loved it. Probably my favorite RE game. All the areas were unique and interesting and fun, enjoyed all the boss fights for the most part. Combat and exploration was very satisfying. Game has great pacing and never really slogs or feels too long or too short. The story and mystery were interesting. Had a blast.

I do agree that searching for crystals can be tedious. But I don't really care if I miss a few here and there.
I just finished. I'm in the same boat. I absolutely loved this entry. IMO it's the best entry we've had since RE4. I even preferred it over RE2make and RE7, which makes it top 3 for me with RE4 and REmake.

Great environmental design. The village is one of the best locals they've ever put together. It actually may be my favorite. I prefer it to Racoon City and the Spencer Mansion, though I don't yet know if I prefer it to the RPD. They knocked this out of the park.

Great antagonists. Lady D, Heisenberg, Moreau, Donna, and Mother Miranda were all fun, though I'm not sure I preferred any of them to Jack, Marg, or Lucas. Moreau, Lady D, and Heisenberg all had nearly comparable personality, but the Bakers had a more interesting and personal dynamic with Ethan.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Great tiebacks to previous entries. Mother M being Spencer's teacher after saving his life and her mold being the inspiration for his viral research was fantastic. That makes her indirectly responsible for the events of the entire series. I also loved her little winged cult symbol being the basis for the Umbrella logo.

I want to say the story was great too, but it stumbled in some areas. Chris being such a douche this game made no sense. This is the first RE I've ever actively disliked Chris. Saying things like "It'd be a shame if something happened to you" carries an obvious implication that can't be handwaved away. The events of the game could have been completely avoided/expedited if Chris had just given Ethan a simple phone call. It also made no sense that Ethan/Mia were relocated to a random spot in Europe that happened to be so close in proximity to the mold cult. What are the chances? Weakest witness protection ever.

Also, I get this is RE, but the abilities the mold and cadou gave the antagonists/monsters this game really strained my suspension of disbelief. Inducing Hallucinations like Donna? Super cool. Quick healing and a need for blood to sustain that healing like lady D? Great. Magneto though? Unrestrained/unlimited shapeshifting that somehow gives you magma powers and the ability to float? It looked cool, but what's the point of even attempting to explain at that point? It's Metal Gear "nanomachines" level reasoning.

House B wasn't as scary as so many people made out. It definitely didn't reach Silent Hill levels of fear like someone in this thread claimed. Having no weapons and it being nothing but an escape room you have to think through was fun. I never once had trouble with that thing since it literally despawned the second it left every time, it had no AI to speak of, and it moved slower than every other enemy in the game. There was no sense of danger. This was like a section in Outlast with a slower chase monster. This was definitely my least favorite section. I like the idea of Donna attacking Ethan mentally with Hallucinations, but I still would have preferred a real boss fight. This entire section is going to be super boring on subsequent playthroughs.

Other than the above, every single boss in the game was fantastic. I loved all the mini-boss encounters too. The game definitely didn't skimp here. I just wish more of them featured a focus on weak spots. For the most part, if you dumped all your ammo as quick as possible, there was no struggle. The only bosses I died to in the game were Lady D (twice) and Mother M (three times), and I played on hardcore first time through. I barely died the entire game actually. I do wish it as a little bit more difficult overall. I kind of wish I played on Village of Shadows first time through.

The RE9 tease was interesting too.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: I have a couple of thoughts here.

Part of me is hoping for a third person entry with Chris as the protagonist again. Him investigating the BSAA's use of controlled BOWs in the field will be interesting. It also explains the BSAA working with the new Umbrella in RE7. The Baker files state that Chris made his Hound Wolf Squad with his own handpicked BSAA operatives. It operates without BSAA oversight and is effectively a rogue unit. Chris made this squad without their permission (which the BSAA is miffed about; they're threatening action despite him being one of the original 11 founding members), so it's obvious he thought something stunk about both the new Umbrella and the BSAA.

On the other hand, Chris laying siege to the BSAA Europe headquarters sounds like an action entry all the way through. Maybe that would be served better as a spin off. I like the last two games having more of a focus on horror than most of the prior entries, and I don't want that gone. That also means I have no interest in playing as Rose with her supposedly amazing mold abilities. I do want her to have story significance going forward, but no thanks on her being the protagonist.

Either way, I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

PWNT

Old Post Jun 1st, 2021 07:15 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Honestly, I prefer the first person view in Resident Evil.
Doesn't mean I don't mind a 3rd person game but I find Resident Evil 7 and 8 to utilize the first person view extremely well.

Getting chased by the chainsaw baddies in RE4 was terrifying....but getting chased by baddies in Resident Evil Village was even more terrifying because the field of view is so narrow. Seeing werewolves attacking you and you sprinting back to get some room was scaier than doing so in Resident Evil 4.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2021 07:29 PM
Arachnid1

Honestly, I prefer the first person view in Resident Evil.
Doesn't mean I don't mind a 3rd person game but I find Resident Evil 7 and 8 to utilize the first person view extremely well.

Getting chased by the chainsaw baddies in RE4 was terrifying....but getting chased by baddies in Resident Evil Village was even more terrifying because the field of view is so narrow. Seeing werewolves attacking you and you sprinting back to get some room was scaier than doing so in Resident Evil 4.
I don't mind first person as much anymore, and 7/8 really won me over.

I don't necessarily think the POV makes it scarier though. Silent Hill and Fatal Frame are IMO the scariest games ever made, and they're both third person.

On the other hand RE7 is the scariest game in the entry. Amensia is also one of the scariest games I've ever played.

Either way, I'm good. I really like both.

PWNT

Old Post Jun 1st, 2021 08:16 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Arachnid1
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: House B wasn't as scary as so many people made out. It definitely didn't reach Silent Hill levels of fear like someone in this thread claimed. Having no weapons and it being nothing but an escape room you have to think through was fun. I never once had trouble with that thing since it literally despawned the second it left every time, it had no AI to speak of, and it moved slower than every other enemy in the game. There was no sense of danger. This was like a section in Outlast with a slower chase monster. This was definitely my least favorite section. I like the idea of Donna attacking Ethan mentally with Hallucinations, but I still would have preferred a real boss fight. This entire section is going to be super boring on subsequent playthroughs.

I didn't mean it was as scary necessarily, although different people are scared by different things. I meant the scenario design as a whole: Donna, Angie, the atmosphere, the puzzle, the [SPOILER - highlight to read]: giant baby, the location, the set pieces, etc. There was a thematic consistency that connected the narrative to the gameplay perfectly, and I think it was all very well executed.

It felt like it would fit right at home in Silent Hill, with minor tweaks to the origins of Donna's powers. Silent Hill is more occult/paranormal while Resident Evil is more sci-fi. She definitely feels reminiscent of Angela Orosco to me.

And I'll say it: Angie is better than Scarlet. In Silent Hill, Scarlet was a cool idea, but it still all played out as a standard boss fight.

I understand Angie's encounter might not be for everyone gameplay-wise, but it lined up perfectly with what she was.

On a side note, Resident Evil is proving pretty good at escape the room puzzles. The RE7 DLC and now this. I really hope they keep doing stuff like this.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jun 2nd, 2021 at 10:52 PM

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2021 10:37 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Third person mod.

A third person camera would've made RE8 look a little better IMO. Don't mean to diss first person in general, RE7 utlized it well but I feel for an RE game dominated by open environements, over the shoulder angles should've been the way to go here and only have the FPS turned on when you're at specific parts [SPOILER - highlight to read]: like the doll house and the one where you play Chris which would serve as a gag 'cause it's literally Call of Duty lol.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2021 11:24 PM