KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Dragon's Dogma: The Anime

Dragon's Dogma: The Anime
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Dragon's Dogma: The Anime

WHAT THE HELL? This came out of nowhere, holy crap.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-...ction-line-deal

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/12/1...a-netflix-anime

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ons-dogma-anime

I'm getting it even if it's bad, anything that expands the lore is okay in my book.

Can anyone tell me if these anime are any good?: https://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/1892/Sublimation

I'm hoping so, cause these are the guys making it, lol.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Last edited by Jmanghan on Mar 15th, 2019 at 05:38 PM

Old Post Mar 15th, 2019 05:35 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

We all know what the opening's going to be:

The SONG, at least.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2019 05:51 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

It's going to be CG and on Netflix. Don't get excited, it will likely be terrible.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2019 06:50 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Re: Dragon's Dogma: The Anime

quote:
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Can anyone tell me if these anime are any good?

Only one of those has even been released. erm

And as far as I can tell, even the one that has been released could only have been watched during some obscure film festival in Korea. erm

Old Post Mar 15th, 2019 09:57 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Re: Re: Dragon's Dogma: The Anime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Only one of those has even been released. erm

And as far as I can tell, even the one that has been released could only have been watched during some obscure film festival in Korea. erm
Rip.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2019 09:59 PM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by ares834
It's going to be CG and on Netflix. Don't get excited, it will likely be terrible.

Also, people REALLY like RWBY, from what I've seen.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2019 09:52 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

"people"

Old Post Mar 17th, 2019 05:18 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Jmanghan

Also, people REALLY like RWBY, from what I've seen.

There are only a handful of decent CG anime out there. The fact that this has the double whammy of being both CG and Netflix produced almost guarantees it to be awful. Have you seen any of Netflix's CG anime, it's all pretty terrible.

Originally posted by NewGuy01
"people"

thumb up

Old Post Mar 17th, 2019 05:38 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Could've been ****in gurren lagann without the mech's (like it was in the game), but they give us... this: "Based on a world-famous action RPG set in an open world, Dragon's Dogma from Capcom will be brought to life as a Netflix original anime series. The story follows a man's journey seeking revenge on a dragon who stole his heart. On his way, the man is brought back to life as an 'Arisen.' An action adventure about a man challenged by demons who represent the seven deadly sins of humans."

Old Post Mar 27th, 2019 11:23 AM
Jmanghan

I'm trying to hold out hope but its worrying.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2019 09:21 PM
Jmanghan

https://twitter.com/DragonsDogma/st...191069501530119
https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/sta...181094989295616
https://www.netflix.com/title/80992784

...but like... ****ing ETHAN?...

(please log in to view the image)
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jul 17th, 2020 07:05 PM
ares834

Old Post Jul 20th, 2020 08:04 PM
Jmanghan

Ik.

What is it with companies trying to revolutionize anime with this dumbass CGI?

2D in anime will always objectively look better then 3D.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2020 02:52 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

It's also far more expensive to make.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2020 05:46 AM
Jmanghan

Even if its super well-done and such, it'd almost always look better in 2D.

Imagine if One Punch Man was in CGI? Holy shit lmao.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2020 09:34 PM
Jmanghan

Trailer:

That Dragon voice is awful, it was perfect before, besides that...

The dialogue looks weak, certain aspects of the animation look shoddy, but thankfully better then Berserk 2016-2017, though not by much.

I really wish this was gonna be good, but it's going to suck, and the studio making it is gonna question why, as if they're surprised.

Last edited by Jmanghan on Aug 25th, 2020 at 12:17 PM

Old Post Aug 25th, 2020 12:14 PM
Jmanghan

So... How is it? I don't have Netflix but might watch it another way.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 01:22 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

From first episode impressions, it's alright. Like how it has kind of a similar art/animation style to the Castlevania show, but with a little 3D mixed in. The monster stuff is cool like with Gregori.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 09:58 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Couldn't get further than the half of the second episode. It's pure CGI, but the conflicts seem a lot more contrived than in the game.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2020 04:54 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

The first few episodes are shit, a lot of weird decisions by Ethan.

That said, it's hard to explain, but it gripped me eventually.

The monsters are AWFUL-LOOKING but the people? They're actually alright, not great, but far FAR better then Berserk was.

That [SPOILER - highlight to read]: ending left a sad feeling in my stomach though, jesus that sucked, in a good way.

They were really trying to drive home that this was "Dark" fantasy as well, there's themes of rape [SPOILER - highlight to read]: kind of paying tribute to Goblin Slayer in that regard, I don't think I need to explain more, and [SPOILER - highlight to read]: a child gets eaten on-screen in the first episode.

This was honestly VERY faithful to the source material, aside from towns and areas from the games being much larger then normal, they do mention and show towns from the original source material, and the Arisen in this show looks exactly the same as the one from the games, the monsters are also pretty spot-on.

The fight scenes were ass, Ethan is a complete joke as a fighter. Speaking of him, you expect him to show some skill but [SPOILER - highlight to read]: he consistently is quite bland in the beginning and sucks as a fighter to the point he is unable to defeat one wolf, and he never speaks up or stops/kills someone when you expect him to later on, it's extremely annoying, like with Hannah when they first met, I expected Ethan to throw the band at the wall or grab her aggressively after the stuff she said. The only genuinely cool fight scene was against the Hydra, he was completely useless against the Griffin.

Ethan is also [SPOILER - highlight to read]: kind of a douche, he nearly let this hot chick cheat on her husband with him, I was genuinely looking at the screen like "so... are you gonna stop her anytime soon?" But he doesn't, the husband notices them and only then do they stop. He becomes a douche later on but that's because of his... random-ass rage-filled power-up. Bringing back up his "not speaking up", there's a scene where thugs come into this family's house while Ethan's there, you expect him to **** shit up or wait till they go back to their lair or whatever then do it, but nope, dude is too civil with villains for a dark fantasy protagonist. Going back to the Hydra episode, that's where he was at his best, personality-wise.

Characters [SPOILER - highlight to read]: end up dying in really stupid ways. You'll always be asking yourself "why?" because it honestly feels forced when a side character dies for plot purposes.

I really enjoyed some of the music, which was apparently done by the original game's music producer, which makes sense, Dogma has some kick-ass music.

I actually did like the later half of the show, it wasn't as ass as bad as everyone expected it would be. I'd go as far as to say it is worth a watch, but maybe not worth buying later on or watching a second time.

I really enjoyed Hannah's development from an emotionless pawn into a strong sidekick, and she's kind of a bad-ass from the get-go. It's really Ethan who drags down this show, and the monster CGI. Hannah is great, some of the side characters are alright. Grigori, assuming you're watching the Japanese Dub, is also done pretty well.

Some of the side characters are pretty decent too. In Dragon's Dogma fashion, there is a [SPOILER - highlight to read]: big twist which is pretty shocking, it nearly brought me to tears, in a good way.

Anyway, hope ya'll enjoy it, it's not a horrible show by any means, it just makes a lot of mistakes (and it was too short, 7 episodes? I get it, but they could've done a "Gluttony part 2" or whatever to stretch it out instead of having so little time for character development.)

Old Post Sep 20th, 2020 06:09 PM