KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Why does the One have super powers?

Why does the One have super powers?
Started by: mirthrandir63

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Vicious

The reason that makes no sense whatsoever its that aside from the people outside the Matrix nobody else has any idea about the existence of The One to me for all the people to have that effect on Neo they would have to be consient about his exsistence which they are not also to me for Neo to feel the power from the people he would have to be loved or wanted by everyone and not even all ouside the Matrix are plus how can he get the power from the peeps when he really have no regards for the people lives because how many people died in both movies without Neo showing no kind of emotion for none of them so to me the idea of him drawing the power from the peeps is far fetched

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 11:24 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No, the Architect specifically describes how the process is subconscious so it is not necessary for anyone to know. NONE of them have to consciously know the Matrix exists to subconciously decide if they want to be in or not. So it makes perfect sense.

It is nothing to do with them BEQUEATHING him power, as such. He is not dependant on their mood. He does not have to care about them in the slightest. He is just the final result of the anomaly they create, as described by the Architect. It is all said in the film.

What is ABSOLUTELY certain is that Neo cannot do what he does just because he is a better programmer. He SPECIFICALLY gets his powers from the Anomaly. I think the Architect's words clearly link the rejection of some people of the Matrix as creating that anomaly, as my quotes describe.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jun 10th, 2003 at 11:39 PM

Old Post Jun 10th, 2003 11:33 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Okay. Mathematics and anomaly.
Ushgarak is right.
To get the Matrix to work the machines had to give humans something like free will. Since they are NOT free, it creates a paradox. An anomaly. Now, if you run a program with a systematic error, that error might, if the program is written in a certain way, over time, suddenly cause a system crash (Think Blue Screen of Death, and the “Why the… did that happen? I only opened WinAmp”).
So the anomaly grows over time (almost 100 years), because from 1900 to 1999 the population of the world grew, and so the 1 % rejecting the Matrix grew larger in number.

It’s not so, that anyone consciously gives “power” to the anomaly, but because a certain percentage of humanity rejects the matrix-program, and only a few of those are actually free, the actual DISBELIEF in the system causes a flaw in the system. It’s different from me, say, disbelieving in Word to work. I’m not plugged into it, a part of, part of what is supposed to make it work. The collective disbelief is collected as an anomaly. That’s what the Architect says.

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jun 11th, 2003 12:00 AM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And it is thematically appropriate that an Anomaly caused by a rejection of control manifests itself as something that breaks that control by not having to follow the rules.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 11th, 2003 12:02 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkMage31
Post Master

Hey Ushgarak, you seem to have a thorough understanding about what the Archetect said and the mathematic computation anomaly paradox. How many times did you see the movie?

Old Post Jun 11th, 2003 12:30 AM
DarkMage31 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkMage31 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkMage31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Actually, I have still only seen it once! But what the Architect said has been analyzed rather a lot.

BtVS

Old Post Jun 11th, 2003 12:34 AM
Twin1.2

i think that he has super powers because of the people he had to fight to get the keymaker, and to get to the source, without super powers, they wouldnt have gotten through most the fights

Old Post Jun 11th, 2003 03:10 AM
Twin1.2 is currently offline Click here to Send Twin1.2 a Private Message Find more posts by Twin1.2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mac11586
Fallen Jedi

I say that both theories are right but for diffrent reasons. Ush you are right in saying he is the one because of everyone elses rejection of the matrix.

But that means he has been the one all of his life. When he was younger he couldn't break rules. Or even when he was an adult. It took the belief in himself and the knowledge that the rules don't apply to him to get his powers.

Just because you are born with potential dosen't mean you get to use it. The oracle said it herself in the first movie he had the gift he might have been waiting for his next life.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2003 04:15 AM
mac11586 is currently offline Click here to Send mac11586 a Private Message Find more posts by mac11586 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

yes, it is definite that the subconcious resistence to the matrix and the anomoly are linked even if it is just in the simple fact that they are part of the same equation. hence if one of the two is changed the other is affected either in solution or root.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2003 05:08 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dookiestix

Perhaps the spiritual approach to explaining something that has already been exemplified in Star Trek regarding the Borg isn't the best. Afterall, those who were born and outfitted to be connected to the Matrix will obviously have an intrinsic connection to the system. Neo's powers outside the realm of the Matrix could be a manifestation of that entrenched symbiotic relationship between human and machine, just bumbed up a few notches (quite a few).

The architect had to give the humans the ability to choose, or the Matrix was doomed to fail on a cataclysmic level. But the imperfections that were necessary for humans to survive also infested the Matrix itself, allowing rogue programs and anomolies to transpire.

Our reluctant hero/savior Neo seems to just know certain things without question, and yet questions his very purpose in being the one. I believe that, as he was a brilliant hacker with computers in the Matrix before his "liberation", he is also a brilliant hacker in the real world. And as a desperate people who have never seen the light of day reflect on their subterannean futures, they all too easily come to biblical conclusions regarding Neo and their potential salvation.

It is a very complicated world the Waschowksi brothers have given us. And it has spawned endless speculation on the conclusion of the Matrix trilogy.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2003 06:12 PM
Dookiestix is currently offline Click here to Send Dookiestix a Private Message Find more posts by Dookiestix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Neo/Mr. Anderson didn’t have to be the One all his life. He chose to become the One at the end of M1.
The anomaly/flaw is intrinsic in the matrix as a program. We see the kids sitting around in the Oracles apartment in M1, and quite a few of them are far better at “rewriting” the programming code of the Matrix than Neo is at the time.
Neos WILL to rescue Morpheus, his willingness to sacrifice himself, becomes the actions (executive commands, if you like, of his digital self) that collects the anomaly. Think of it as pieces of an equation floating around in the Matrix, causing all kinds of minor oddities (“woaw, what a coincidence”), and when someone comes along, whose will to bend the rules of (virtual) reality is strong enough, and a good hacker on top of that, the equation of the anomaly is collected in on person as a code.

Dookiestix> Yes, hence the thousands of posts around here big grin

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jun 11th, 2003 11:28 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mac11586
Fallen Jedi

i dont think that is true. In that case anyone who knew about the one and needed to could become the one. With type of idea we could say morph was a canidate for being the one. He knew about it, he could bend the rules more than most ( he faired decent against an Agent). He had the belief that there was a ONE. But it was not him because he was not meant to be it. He was not born the one, Neo was.

It is said in the new movie. Neo is the sum of an unequal equation. All of the flaws in the matrix add up to be him. Not he found it, it is him. Now knowing your the one and being the one are two diffrent things. He was the one all his life but he didn't know it so he couldn't express his powers.

In essence. Knowing something or not knowing does not change if it is there or not. You just have to know it to express it.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2003 01:14 AM
mac11586 is currently offline Click here to Send mac11586 a Private Message Find more posts by mac11586 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

But I think that’s the point. The kids in the Oracles apartment were other “potentials”, and the Oracle herself tells Neo, that his has “the gift”. Not the powers, but the gift, the potential to become the one.
Maybe Morpheus did, we don’t know that. All we know is, that Neo chose to become the One. He wasn’t born to that destiny so to speak. The Oracle told Morpheus he would FIND the One, and he even had Neo believing in it until he met the Oracle.
The unequal equation (which is by the way nonsense, hence the paradox) is exactly collected in Neo. But only because he chose it. If Neo had NOT gone to rescue Morpheus, if the crew had unplugged their captain instead, then Neo might’ve gone on believing the Oracle telling him he was NOT the One.
“There’s a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path.” Neo, like the other potentials, may all have known HOW to walk the path (they had the gift to reshape the Matrix, as the spoon-bender, or to cause a mirror to wobble like Neo), but Neo decided(!) to walk it.
If he was BORN the One, a program like the Oracle wouldn’t need other potentials. She’d simply have to wait for the destined ONE to appear. One of the main-themes of the movie is choice.
Neo wasn’t born The One, he choose to become the One.

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jun 12th, 2003 01:26 AM
mac11586
Fallen Jedi

I agree he had to accept it, but it was him and only him that was the one. For instance, the cypher comment that if he was the one it would take some kind of miracle to stop him from pulling the plug. Plus how he was so quick to bend the rules when fighting morph. Plus how he could learn so fast, faster than others judgeing by tanks reaction

Old Post Jun 12th, 2003 01:57 AM
The Omega
Z10N0101

Don’t you think the children in the Oracles office would’ve been just as fast in the learning programs, as Neo? He had the GIFT in M1. And when Tank managed to shoot Cypher in M1 that was just luck. What kind of reprogramming of the Matrix, what power of the anomaly, could possibly have affected the real world, so Cypher was shot at the exact moment he was (that was a storytelling trick. If Cypher had succeeded, then… end of story).

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jun 12th, 2003 12:25 PM
Tomkat

quote:
Originally posted by The Omega
....And when Tank managed to shoot Cypher in M1 that was just luck.

evil face Not if the "real-world" Zion realm is also part of the Matrix

quote:
What kind of reprogramming of the Matrix, what power of the anomaly, could possibly have affected the real world,

evil face Well, if the "real-world" is actually still part of the Matrix, then it would explain that wouldn't it?

quote:
so Cypher was shot at the exact moment he was (that was a storytelling trick. If Cypher had succeeded, then… end of story).

Storytelling trick? Maybe that's what you were meant to believe. evil face

But...that's another thread

Old Post Jun 12th, 2003 12:44 PM
Tomkat is currently offline Click here to Send Tomkat a Private Message Find more posts by Tomkat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
turin

well that dips into the multimatrix thing which i dont beleive. your right that Neo did have to choose to be the one, but no one else could have made that discision for themselves, otherwise everyone would be choosing to be the one. It is something that has been with him his whole life, it just took someone to guide him to it. and as far as the one being some random program running around in the matrix, i strongly disagree with it just on the fact that the architect makes it sound like the One is very predictable. but i wont close my mind to the thought of the one being a program. i kind of like that idea.

and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2003 02:32 PM
turin is currently offline Click here to Send turin a Private Message Find more posts by turin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mac11586
Fallen Jedi

now that i can agree with.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2003 11:53 PM
The Omega
Z10N0101

Tomkat> Ah, but there is no indication that it IS another Matrix. The “Neo stopped the sentinels” isn’t evidence for a Matrix within the Matrix, that can be explained as per Enter the Matrix, the video game.

Turin> Everyone with the GIFT could potentially be the One. That’s my point. I’m not saying the anomaly as The One is a program, but the anomaly is part of Neo’s digital self, his VR avatar which is indeed a program. (So is everyone elses digital self). What I say is, that the 1 % who do not accept the Matrix causes fluctuations in the program, like(!) random pieces of an equation just floating around until they’re collected in the anomaly.
If there was only ONE, a unique person born into the Matrix whose sole purpose was to collect the anomaly, then what were the other potentials doing in the Oracles appartment?

"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jun 13th, 2003 01:44 AM
turin

well if i were in the matrix any one that i saw do that stuff could be the one for all i know, i will agree with you on that. And with the kids with the oricle being refered to as potentials initially when i saw it i was thinkng potentials for getting released from the matrix. Plus they dont know who the One is going to be so they are checking these kids out to see if they are the one, so potentially one of them could be, but i take it you mean everyone of them has the potential and my point is potentially one could be. i hope that makes sense.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2003 06:50 PM