KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Elden Ring

Elden Ring
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (18): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StyleTime

Seems like most of the starter classes have been revealed. I will almost certainly be going Astrologer and Prophet mostly on my playthroughs, as I need my fireballs and lasers and lighting and such. The Prisoner seems reminiscent of the Royal from Demon's Souls, so I might roll with that depending on starting equipment. The Royal had that MP regen ring that was sweet for exploring.

(please log in to view the image)
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Full class list is here with stats and equipment, although I recommend ignoring the network test list. I doubt they will be in the final game tbh.

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Classes

Last edited by StyleTime on Feb 20th, 2022 at 08:53 PM

Old Post Feb 20th, 2022 08:39 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Yeah, that's all of them. I'm thinking of running either a Vagabond geared towards STR/INT, or a Confessor geared towards DEX/FAITH... haven't decided which yet. A Samurai with a quality-build sounds nice too, but I'll leave that for a future playthrough, because I definitely want to try out ER's magic systems in my first go-round.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2022 08:47 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

It's the weapon skills that might get me to experiment a bit. I said it before, but I've been a career spellcaster through all the Soulsborne games, even going for an Arcane build in Bloodborne.

All these new weaponskills look pretty cool though, and might give me a reason to take up more melee builds. Glintsword Arch seems like a budget version of Homing Soulmass/Homing Crystal Soulmass for melee builds.

And skills like Holy Ground might help priest or paladin builds a lot. I ran a full support build as one of my co-op characters in DS3 (Filianore's Chime, Lothric War Banner, Soothing Sunlight, Sacred Oath, Projected Heal, Handmaid's Dagger/Simple Infused Caestus for extra FP regen, etc).

It works for co-op once people realize you're buffing/healing them, but sometimes newer players will panic chug their Estus and don't see that you already healed their health bar. This new Holy Ground weapon skill takes the guesswork out, since it is more easily identified. You can just drop a regen zone rather than having to aim Projected Heal or blow tons of FP on Soothing Sunlight (That spell is expensive, even for dedicated miracle caster builds using Dusk Crown Ring.)

Of course, the PvPer's will probably abuse this then complain until it gets nerfed. Same way they complained about Projected Heal until FROM changed it.

Last edited by StyleTime on Feb 20th, 2022 at 10:16 PM

Old Post Feb 20th, 2022 10:05 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Lol it's been 7 years since I bought a From game day 1. I can't wait.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Feb 21st, 2022 01:09 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

At first I was thinking of trying a fist build but fist weapons aren't returning for this it seems looking at the lists nor does increasing strength and dexterity affect your punches that much (if at all) going by what people did in the network tests. Shame 'cause the flurry of punches in this look amusing.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2022 09:10 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

That Ring is looking pretty Elden to me.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Feb 21st, 2022 05:36 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

quote: (post)
Originally posted by StyleTime
It's the weapon skills that might get me to experiment a bit. All these new weaponskills look pretty cool though, and might give me a reason to take up more melee builds. Glintsword Arch seems like a budget version of Homing Soulmass/Homing Crystal Soulmass for melee builds.

Yeah, but weapon arts are tied to infusions now. Applying sorcery and miracle-type weapon arts to a weapon will change that weapon's scaling to INT or FAITH respectively. To a certain extent you'll still need to choose which class of magic will be your focus ahead of time.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2022 09:15 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

That launch trailer though.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2022 10:42 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2022 01:51 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Yeah, but weapon arts are tied to infusions now. Applying sorcery and miracle-type weapon arts to a weapon will change that weapon's scaling to INT or FAITH respectively. To a certain extent you'll still need to choose which class of magic will be your focus ahead of time.

Certainly. I usually plan out my builds ahead of times. I meant moreso that I have a bit more interest in trying a few extra non-caster builds, assuming the weapon skills are cool enough.

I usually reserve a character slot for a Greatshield/Greathammer character with heavy armor, since flattening enemies and laughing off full combos from bosses is fun. This might get me to try more than just that type of melee though.

Last edited by StyleTime on Feb 23rd, 2022 at 07:08 AM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2022 07:02 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

See lots of veteran reviewers clocking their first playthroughs at 80+ hours... the prospect of running multiple builds feels both exciting and daunting.

Also, PC is apparently not the way to go for this one. Even up-to-date builds run worse than the 2014 consoles, or so I've heard.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2022 03:06 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Is Prisoner the best way to go if you want to make a hybrid?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2022 05:23 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The game is apparently optimized pretty terribly across the board. The performace mode on ps5/Series X can't even hit 60 fps, and the quality mode stupidly doesn't support a locked 30 fps, but hovers around 32 or 33 fps on current gen consoles.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2022 11:14 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Nemesis X

A hybrid of what and what...? Dex and Int? Maybe. Astrologer actually might be slightly better, since it has a lower starting level iirc. Well, the most important difference between the two is going to be their starting equipment anyways.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2022 02:50 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by BackFire
The game is apparently optimized pretty terribly across the board. The performance mode on ps5/Series X can't even hit 60 fps,

Running at <60fps doesn't qualify as poor performance to me, as long as it's consistent. Bloodborne proves that the fastest-paced of these games can still be played comfortably at 30, so as far as I'm concerned anything above that is a bonus. What concerns me more is the reports of periodic, sharp framerate drops like in DS1.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2022 02:58 AM
Arachnid1

Highest rated game of all time bois.

Lets gooooooo

PWNT

Old Post Feb 25th, 2022 03:36 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Nemesis X

Depends on what kind of hybrid you're going for. On paper it does look like Confessor and Prisoner were made as the hybrid starters, so they're safe bets. This early on, people are still figuring out soft/hard caps for stats though. Sometimes, the optimal starter for a certain build winds up being an unexpected class. Nothing that would prevent you from clearing the game of course, and it matters less the higher you level. I say just enjoy your first playthrough doing whatever you want.

Although, I'd recommend being wary of spreading stats too thin. If DSIII is any indicator, the various schools of magic require a good deal of investment to see optimal returns.

I think that's why folks complained about sorcery/miracles/dark/pyro in DSIII. They thought it was too resource intensive, but in reality, it just required you to spec yourself like an actual mage to see real results -- tons of ATT, INT/FTH, 3-4 relevant rings and sometimes unique headgear.

Last edited by StyleTime on Feb 25th, 2022 at 05:47 AM

Old Post Feb 25th, 2022 05:33 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Running at <60fps doesn't qualify as poor performance to me, as long as it's consistent. Bloodborne proves that the fastest-paced of these games can still be played comfortably at 30, so as far as I'm concerned anything above that is a bonus. What concerns me more is the reports of periodic, sharp framerate drops like in DS1.

That's the thing, it's not consistent. Varying between 40-60 fps on the PS5/Series X in performance mode, and varying at lower framerates in quality mode. Also the frame pacing is also bad, but that's par the course for From Software games. They just seem very bad at optimizing their games.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2022 06:04 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I have it downloaded. I'm going to bed early then waking up and going straight to playing.

I genuinely haven't been this excited about a game in a long time. It's like that feeling you get on Christmas Eve when you're a kid.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2022 06:41 AM
StyleTime

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Highest rated game of all time bois.

Lets gooooooo

It feels like everyone on Twitch is streaming it too. From Vtubers to irl streamers to pro gamers. Viewership numbers blew every other FROM title out the water, and it wasn't even fully released yet.

Last edited by StyleTime on Feb 25th, 2022 at 06:49 AM

Old Post Feb 25th, 2022 06:46 AM