KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Stephen King is a overrated writer?

Stephen King is a overrated writer?
Started by: deft

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
deft

Stephen King is a overrated writer?

He is? Why?

Old Post Jul 25th, 2019 08:33 PM
deft is currently offline Click here to Send deft a Private Message Find more posts by deft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadMojoScootr
Rusty Cage

king is a leftist nut with trump derangement syndrome

Old Post Aug 8th, 2019 01:27 AM
BadMojoScootr is currently offline Click here to Send BadMojoScootr a Private Message Find more posts by BadMojoScootr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by deft
He is? Why?

Because he's a popular mass consumption writer.

That means jealous literary snobs need to attack him, like a certain Yale professor.

God forbid anything exists merely to enjoy, or is accessible by the unwashed masses.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2019 02:42 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

I find literary snobs really delightful to encounter. They are like that rich guy that buys a shit stain claiming it to be the epitome of art, but poor.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Aug 9th, 2019 10:58 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

King is the greatest and most diverse writer of the Television age. He is popularist and ground breaking, he is so good in fact that books he didn't write under his own name made the best seller lists worldwide and did it again when he released them under his real name.

He also wrote the srory for the greatest movie of all time. The Shawshank Redemption.

King is, the King.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2019 11:52 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

He is certainly the greatest living writer. Practically everybody on the planet has heard of him and most of the ones who haven't have still seen The Running Man. I do find he rushes the endings of so many of his books, it's like he goes; Screw it, only another 85 pages and I get paid, I'm finishing this tonight!

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Aug 12th, 2019 12:34 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

King is okay. The vitriol some throw at him is overblown as there are far inferior writers of "popular" genre literature and he has written some very good work, but he's also penned some real garbage and even some of his better stories can be internally inconsistent and corny.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2019 12:13 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

He should go post modern

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Sep 19th, 2019 11:26 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

He puts out a lot of books and I think a not so small amount are crappy. However, I think when he's good he is really good. He's like a baseball player who either strikes out or hits a home run every time he is at bat.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2021 04:31 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
peterpaker44

I don’t think so, it’s impossible to appreciate it right away.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2021 04:49 PM
peterpaker44 is currently offline Click here to Send peterpaker44 a Private Message Find more posts by peterpaker44 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sueambrose121

You are not of course. Have you ever tried to write something big at all? I think 98% of people will say no. It's hard work and only talented people like Stephen King can handle it. I recently tried to write a dissertation myself. As a result, I asked for help on the platform, so that they would write my dissertation for me, I used https://edubirdie.com/write-my-thesis for this. Just try to write something yourself .... And King does it with incredible stories from which you cannot recover for a long time.

Last edited by sueambrose121 on Dec 2nd, 2021 at 12:07 PM

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2021 12:02 PM
sueambrose121 is currently offline Click here to Send sueambrose121 a Private Message Find more posts by sueambrose121 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by NemeBro
King is okay. The vitriol some throw at him is overblown as there are far inferior writers of "popular" genre literature and he has written some very good work, but he's also penned some real garbage and even some of his better stories can be internally inconsistent and corny.

The Dark Tower is like his career in brief. Starts off super strong, until about the fourth book or so, and becomes a rambling mess where with far too many pages devoted to his literal self insert character.

I don't really like how the Tower lore affects his better stories either. It turned the "god" of The Stand into, what, just the god of that level of the tower? Not Gan?

And Randall Flagg went out like a chump. Featured as a main antagonist in two stories, and gets taken out by a pointless spider baby.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2021 02:52 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PagNefseskv

buy plaquenil online <a href="https://hydroxywithchloroquine.com/#">buy chloroquine</a>

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2021 08:36 PM
PagNefseskv is currently offline Click here to Send PagNefseskv a Private Message Find more posts by PagNefseskv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Originally posted by cdtm
The Dark Tower is like his career in brief. Starts off super strong, until about the fourth book or so, and becomes a rambling mess where with far too many pages devoted to his literal self insert character.

I don't really like how the Tower lore affects his better stories either. It turned the "god" of The Stand into, what, just the god of that level of the tower? Not Gan?

And Randall Flagg went out like a chump. Featured as a main antagonist in two stories, and gets taken out by a pointless spider baby.

I see them as just iterations of those characters.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Dec 4th, 2021 01:14 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Billy Sommers is his best book for years a solid 4 out of 5.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2021 10:09 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by samhain
I see them as just iterations of those characters.

I can dig it, even if close to fanon theory.

But they did establish multiple variations of characters, so I can hold onto my theory that a version of Roland didn't get royally screwed over by Gan.

Just saved the multiverse, but no lets punish him for minor and arguably necessary to the big picture hubris.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2021 01:15 AM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Shining and Shawshank were cool.

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2021 05:00 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ColinGrimes
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think that he is an amazing writer. I've read a lot of his books, and his writing style, plots, everything is genius. I've also read books of another author in such a genre, but for me, it wasn't the same.
We were talking about Steven King a literature course, and I even wrote a paper dedicated to his books and biography. It was an analytical paper, and uk.edubirdie was the resource with helped me with it because it's not that easy to write such papers, based on so many books.
But I can say that he is one of the best writers, and it's worth reading his books

Old Post Feb 11th, 2022 12:50 PM
ColinGrimes is currently offline Click here to Send ColinGrimes a Private Message Find more posts by ColinGrimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm only going by the two I mentioned, but both have themes of isolation, entrapment and alcoholism.

I mean, that's my life. I'd imagine I'd like em more if they weren't so close to heart.

The films were great though.

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Feb 13th, 2022 01:54 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celjayjack

Frankly speaking, it's difficult for me to read his books.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2022 07:10 AM
celjayjack is currently offline Click here to Send celjayjack a Private Message Find more posts by celjayjack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote