KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Disparity between Yoda and Sidious??

Disparity between Yoda and Sidious??
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sheev
The All-Sith

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
I don't get why you'd just... Ignore all of that? confused
The truth is a tough pill for some to swallow, Galan. wink

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 11:48 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Show me the disparity Sheev.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Last edited by juggernaut74 on Apr 7th, 2020 at 12:22 AM

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 12:20 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

Galan already did-
The RotS script states that Yoda disarmed Palpatine during one of the cut-scenes:
https://i.imgur.com/FADvszA.jpg

But Palpatine has been stated to have ultimately gotten the better of Yoda across multiple sources...

The SW Databank states- "Darth Sidious overwhelmed Yoda with the destructive energy of the dark side, and the Jedi Master fled Coruscant.":
https://i.imgur.com/7nzC07o.jpg

Jedi vs. Sith (2016) initially states that the two were "equally fierce", but then goes on to state- "[Yoda] realized that he could not defeat Sidious this time.":
https://i.imgur.com/uPJC8WH.jpg

Galactic Maps (2016) states- "[Yoda] is unable to defeat the Sith Lord in combat.":
https://i.imgur.com/V6USqEt.jpg

The updated Character Encyclopedia (2016) states- "Even the diminutive Jedi's amazing strength and speed, however, are not a match for the devastating fury of a Sith Lord.":
https://i.imgur.com/FbL07II.jpg

Ultimate Star Wars (2019) states- "The full power of the light side and the dark side of the Force is on display during Yoda's clash with Emperor Palpatine. Outmatched, Yoda retreats...":
https://i.imgur.com/MAGKmAL.jpg

And Yoda's timeline in Ultimate Star Wars (2019) states- "Yoda tries to stop Palpatine, the new Emperor, from taking control. He loses, and barely escapes with his life.":
https://i.imgur.com/tfBV1KG.jpg

IOW, Yoda may have been slightly above Palpatine in sabers(if you go by the original RotS script), but Palpatine > Yoda with the Force.
That's true.

Palpatine was still shown with his saber in this flashback sequence from Galaxy of Adventures (2019):
(please log in to view the image)

And this clip states- "[Palpatine] is even skilled enough with the dark side of the Force to defeat Jedi Grand Master Yoda in a lightsaber duel.":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kstNsp5n_eU&t=0m12s

So in canon, he may have just been superior to Yoda across the board.

You're just too pig headed to accept it. You'd rather that your own personal interpretation of their fight in the movie (which was riddled with cutscenes) take precedence over the facts that have been detailed in canon.

Sheev>Yoda. Accept it. smile

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 12:27 AM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I see so you can't. wink

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 12:35 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheev
The All-Sith

My personal opinion of their battle in the movie is irrelevant (as is yours). Canon has been kind enough to provide us with a ton of evidence saying that Sheev>Yoda.

Are you actually this ignorant or are you just trolling?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 12:40 AM
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Yeah I mean canon is canon, whether we like it or not.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 12:43 AM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by Sheev
My personal opinion of their battle in the movie is irrelevant (as is yours). Canon has been kind enough to provide us with a ton of evidence saying that Sheev>Yoda.

The movie contradicts those fact files or whatever was posted above.

I'm thinking you're trolling.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 01:02 AM
Dominis

Originally posted by juggernaut74
Sidious had the high ground and was throwing the pods downwards. Yoda caught one stopping the downwards force and put some stank on it and sent it directly upwards at Palpatine making him relocate to a safer position. I don't see a force disparity there.

2:48 Sidious lifts three far above his head, against gravity. He also maintains some in the air while throwing others and ripping out more.

If Yoda was Palpatine's exact equal, and it being so much easier just to pull one down and let gravity do the rest, like you say, then why didn't Yoda just pull one (or even a couple) down on Sidious's head while Sidious was lifting multiple against the force of gravity?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 01:14 AM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

I mean it is implied in canon that Sheev's preferred form is actually Jar'kai. So even if Yoda and Mace defeated him in sabers only in canon it could be argued that Sheev was at a disadvantage with both weapons.

Either way, I've always viewed it as Sidious wins 51:49 against Yoda. With Yoda being better in sabers and Sidious being more powerful in the Force. This is backed in the movie where Sidious retreats to the Grand Convocation Chamber because he's being overwhelmed in his office. In a confined room Yoda can likely take the win but in any environment where Sidious can take advantage of his superior force powers, Yoda takes the L.

The North Remembers

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 01:30 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Dominis
2:48 Sidious lifts three far above his head, against gravity. He also maintains some in the air while throwing others and ripping out more.

If Yoda was Palpatine's exact equal, and it being so much easier just to pull one down and let gravity do the rest, like you say, then why didn't Yoda just pull one (or even a couple) down on Sidious's head while Sidious was lifting multiple against the force of gravity?

Are you seriously arguing that Yoda is incapable of doing the same thing? lol

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 01:40 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominis

Originally posted by ares834

Of course Yoda can do it, but probably not while being forced to evade them when being thrown by someone who can do it quicker and easier.

Last edited by Dominis on Apr 7th, 2020 at 04:22 AM

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 04:15 AM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

The movie contradicts those fact files or whatever was posted above.

I'm thinking you're trolling.

The movie never showed Sidious get disarmed. Nor did it imply that he was Yoda's equal. If anything, it shows that Yoda escaped because he didn't think he could keep it up.
Palpatine had an OH ****!!! Look several times on his face showing me Yoda was superior.

That was right when Yoda gained a bit of a second wind.
Originally posted by Lord Stark
I mean it is implied in canon that Sheev's preferred form is actually Jar'kai.

Really? That's kinda cool, where's it implied?
Originally posted by ares834

The movies do make Yoda seem far weaker than he is in the EU. Remember he struggled to lift a bundle of pipes in AtoC.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 04:33 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Sheev

In teens of power the film shows them to be equals. Light fighting darkness. It is a pretty easy concept to grasp. Look at the power exchange at the end where he comes off as winning only to have yoda able to absorb and redirect his fl. Only reason he fell off the pod is he was closer to the end at the time they were both hit by the blowback of the blast.

Palpatine is far more cunning I give wisdom edge to yoda. Sidious manipulated under the guise of an ally having a galactic army and Vader wipe the Jedi from the map. He was not man enough to want any piece of yoda on his own. He tried fleeing like a coward and you claim he is far more powerful. Makes no sense on any level save selective reasoning to reach a biased conclusion favoring Palpatine.

Yodas own words, IF SO POWERFUL YOU ARE WHY LEAVE?

Last edited by quanchi112 on Apr 7th, 2020 at 07:16 AM

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 07:13 AM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

I don't see how you could say Sidious>Yoda in force powers other than variety at the time of ROTS.

They're shown clearly as equals in their final exchange of the force

In raw force power that is, obviously Sidious has the more deadly abilities.

But there's not information to say they're anything other than equals without assuming stuff.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 06:38 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Scizard
I don't see how you could say Sidious>Yoda in force powers other than variety at the time of ROTS.

They're shown clearly as equals in their final exchange of the force

In raw force power that is, obviously Sidious has the more deadly abilities.

But there's not information to say they're anything other than equals without assuming stuff.
Sidious was offense yoda was defense in their power exchange in which they stalemated. The force tends to balance out light and dark in the end. Snokes dialogue confirms Reys power surged just to match Kylos rise in power. Yin to yang.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 06:49 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by Dominis

Yoda stopping the downward momentum and redirecting back upward directly at Palpatine is more impressive imo.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2020 11:19 PM
Sheev
The All-Sith

I still don't get what people are trying to contest here?

Some of you may have thought they looked like equals in the movie, but several canon sources have Sidious as Yoda's superior.

You don't just get to handwave all of that info away because you don't like it lmao.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2020 01:24 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

It's interesting, because if you *only* used the films as evidence, then you might be inclined to think that Yoda and Dooku were peers during AotC -- there was no overt disparity between them that I can recall in the film.

...But thanks to supplementary material, we know that Yoda was far and away superior to Dooku. Same basic thing applies here: the film isn't the only canon evidence we have to go by where Yoda and Palpatine are concerned. Everything counts, whether you agree or not.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 10th, 2020 at 12:32 AM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2020 12:26 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

So basically you can pick your source.

Make sense.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2020 12:32 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

It's not a matter of "picking your source."

It's a matter of using the abundance of canon evidence at hand to draw a logical conclusion. In this case, there are no less than 7 different sources(some of which are very recent) telling us that Palpatine > Yoda, and not one source I've yet to come across saying the opposite.

You are entitled to your opinions, but unfortunately, personal interpretations of their fight in RotS do not supersede established canon. Now, if the film had said something to the effect of: "Yoda and Palpatine were equal", or "Yoda could have bested Palpatine", I would completely understand where you're coming from -- but obviously no explicit statements like that were provided in the film(much like Yoda's fight with Dooku in AotC)... That's where all the other canon sources come into play. wink

It seems to me that you just don't like(or agree with) the canon info I posted, so you're acting like it is irrelevant... But that's simply not how the canon system works. Canon > fan opinions.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 10th, 2020 12:57 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote