KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Disparity between Yoda and Sidious??

Disparity between Yoda and Sidious??
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Because there are multiple canon sources which say they're equal?
I want to agree with you but I'm not sure there is.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2020 06:26 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Because there are multiple canon sources which say they're equal?
Such as?

And even if there are multiple canon quotes stating they're equal, are they more recent than everything provided here?

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 25th, 2020 07:03 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Galan007
Such as?

And even if there are multiple canon quotes stating they're equal, are they more recent than everything provided here?
Interesting, all the sources I was thinking off seem to have been published before 2014. There was one trading card guide i recall from after the merger, but I can't find it, and that's probaby doesn't have the same weight as what you've listed. I guess you're right.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2020 07:45 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

The closest thing I can think of is a quote from the 2018 Star Wars Visual Dictionary which states Dookus power in the Force is enigmatic even to Yoda.

And yes I realize it's not the same as being equals to Yoda but your power being enigmatic to Yoda is something.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2020 07:56 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Sidious is vastly beyond Yoda in force power

Lifting fleets, force drain, blasting ships with lightning are beyond anything he’s shown in canon

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Apr 26th, 2020 12:02 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Well according to the canon Star Wars Visual Dictionary Yoda and Sidious are equals.

Old Post May 7th, 2020 12:47 AM
ares834

During RotS? Maybe. Afterwards? Likely not.

Old Post May 7th, 2020 03:24 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by juggernaut74
Well according to the canon Star Wars Visual Dictionary Yoda and Sidious are equals.
According to multiple other sources(including some released after the VD) Palpatine had the advantage.

*Also want to note that I don't have a problem with them being equals. Just pointing out that far more canon sources than not tell us Palpatine was superior.

Last edited by Galan007 on May 7th, 2020 at 10:22 AM

Old Post May 7th, 2020 10:14 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Well this lines up with the movie witch clearly depicted them as equals.

Old Post May 7th, 2020 10:35 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

They were near equals, with Palpatine having the slight advantage across the board(as confirmed in multiple canon sources.) Your personal interpretation of their battle in the film does not change or contradict the abundance of canon material stating that Palpatine was superior.

Like I said before: the AotC film itself certainly did not depict Yoda as leagues beyond Dooku (IMO)... But in canon, Yoda was 2x Dooku during that battle. So that was the canon discrepancy between them at the time, regardless of personal opinion. Same concept applies to Palpatine vs. Yoda.

There's really no need to make things this hard. erm

Old Post May 7th, 2020 10:43 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Galan007
They were near equals, with Palpatine having the slight advantage across the board(as confirmed in multiple canon sources.) Your personal interpretation of their battle in the film does not change or contradict the abundance of canon material stating that Palpatine was superior.

thumb up

Personally speaking it seemed to me yoda had the edge given sidious was falling backwards before the explosion, but at some point you need to get with the program.

It's possible there was a point of time sidious was intended to get lucky(the deleted scene seems to support that), but that's ancient history.

Old Post May 7th, 2020 10:50 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Exactly. thumb up

Prior to all of this information surfacing, I had always considered them to be about equal -- with Palpatine perhaps having a very slight edge in the Force, and Yoda perhaps having a slight edge in sabers.

But it's different now. Palpatine was simply better across the board(as several sources indicate)... Not much better, but still better.

Old Post May 7th, 2020 11:26 AM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

either way, it just shows how strong the Dark Side really is, that Sidious could equal or surpass Yoda with 50 years training under his belt compared to yogas 800 years of it

Old Post May 7th, 2020 05:49 PM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

Yeah I really don't like that tbh. I've personally always wanted Yoda to be a little bit more powerful with Sidious just getting lucky at the end, although I don't really like how they even use sabers in the first place, kinda wish they were beyond that by this stage.

Old Post May 7th, 2020 06:38 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Palpatine is very powerful but prone to bad judgement. This much is apparent from his battles with Mace Windu and Yoda respectively.

Palpatine succeeded in electrocuting Yoda [early on]; perfect opportunity to subjugate/eliminate Yoda right then and there but Palpatine got cocky instead and wasted precious time gloating (i.e. lapse in judgement), giving Yoda sufficient time to recover and mount an offensive of his own.

What a bummer.

Old Post May 9th, 2020 06:55 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote