KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » The death of George Floyd/Chauvin guilty

The death of George Floyd/Chauvin guilty
Started by: tru-marvell

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (130): « First ... « 121 122 [123] 124 125 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Tragic. But not really comparable:

quote:
TUPELO – When a second Pontotoc County Grand Jury did not indict a motorist for hitting and killing a girl who just stepped off a school bus, many residents complained vocally, saying the driver should be charged criminally.

District Attorney John Weddle said both the grand juries faced a tough task when hearing the case of North Pontotoc Elementary student Amiya Braxton.

“This was a difficult case,” Weddle said. “I know they struggled with it, based on the questions they asked.

“When you hear about it, the first thought is (the motorist) needs to pay. I completely understand that. That’s human nature. But when you start looking at the law and how it applies, it becomes a difficult issue.”

Criminally, the case boils down to intent – did the driver intend to pass the school bus or did she intentionally strike the child? Neither grand jury found intent, so neither indicted the driver on felony charges.

Braxton, 7, had just gotten off a North Pontotoc school bus on Oct. 4, 2016 and was standing in her own driveway when she was hit by an SUV driven by Karen Michelle Carpenter of Saltillo. Carpenter was following the northbound school bus on Highway 9 and failed to stop when the bus stopped. She swerved to the right, into a ditch, and struck the child.

There was no evidence Carpenter was texting or using her phone at the time. She willingly gave blood samples and the toxicology reports came back clean. Neither the accident reconstructionist nor the “black box” in the SUV were able to pinpoint how fast Carpenter was going just before the wreck.

The evidence was first presented to a grand jury in September 2017. When another witness came forward with new testimony, the case was reheard by a new grand jury last week.

“We felt both times the grand jury should look at both culpable negligence manslaughter and Nathan’s Law, which deals with injuries caused by passing a school bus,” Weddle said.

Under Nathan’s Law (Mississippi Code 63-3-615), if a child is injured by someone overtaking a school bus, the driver can be charged with aggravated assault. Both manslaughter and aggravated assault carry a sentence of up to 20 years in prison.

When considering the evidence, a grand jury has to determine if the action was intentional or willful before they can indict someone for a felony.

“The big issue with respect to the Amiya case, is that there is no proof she intended to go around the bus with the intent of passing the bus,” Weddle said. “Nathan’s Law is subject to interpretation. Is it a strict liability or do you have to prove intent?”

There is also the question of charging someone with aggravated assault in a death case. By definition, aggravated assault is the willful causing of serious bodily injury. In most cases, if the victim dies, the charge is upgraded to murder or manslaughter.

When considering culpable negligence manslaughter, the grand jury had to decide whether the actions were careless or reckless. In a legal sense, reckless means it was a willful act, that there was some level of intention.

“Manslaughter is a reckless act that shows indifference to human life,” Weddle said. “The grand jury had to decide if there was a level of willfulness and this was criminal negligence or if this was civil negligence.”

Every case is different, and the evidence doesn’t always fall neatly into the legal definition of a particular criminal charge.

“We presented the facts and the laws, and let the grand jury make up their own mind,” Weddle said. “And in both cases, the grand juries chose not to indict on either of the charges.”

Unless some new evidence is brought forward, Weddle considers the case closed.

Sometimes, unavoidable deaths happen. Such as the case of a motorist who follows every law, takes every precaution, and still hits someone.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 12:18 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tru-marvell

But attempting to pass a school bus...by leaving the roadway in and of itself is unlawful. You add vehicular homicide, it should not be that complicated

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 12:50 PM
tru-marvell is currently offline Click here to Send tru-marvell a Private Message Find more posts by tru-marvell Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by tru-marvell
But attempting to pass a school bus...by leaving the roadway in and of itself is unlawful. You add vehicular homicide, it should not be that complicated
thumb up Bingo

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 01:36 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

I mean, he's trying to equate this with police getting off for murder, or something. I'm just not seeing that with the driver.

A grand jury looked at it twice and said nothings there. No real reason to suspect bias, if a DA can go after you, they go after you. This DA claims he couldn't.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 01:42 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tru-marvell

So if your child is ran over and killed....you are ok with no charges being brought against the driver?
The point I'm making in posting this here is that our laws and those who are responsible for enforcing them have to be addressed.
In this case they are saying because they can't prove "intent" then there's nothing to be done...carry on-sorry for you loss.

This lady was either driving too fast to stop and swerved to avoid hitting the bus or she attempted to go around a bus while loading/unloading children. Both of which are criminal.

School bus safety is a top priority in Mississippi. The Mississippi Legislature passed Nathan's Law as a proactive strategy to protect our most valuable resource- children.

Nathan's Law-

Requires motorists to stop at least 10 feet from a school bus when the bus is loading or unloading children. Motorists must not proceed until all children have crossed the street to or from the school bus, the flashing red lights are no longer activated, and the stop sign on the side of the bus is retracted.
Authorizes a charge of felony assault and a prison sentence of up to 20 years for motorists convicted of illegally passing a school bus that, in the process, results in injury or death.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 01:58 PM
tru-marvell is currently offline Click here to Send tru-marvell a Private Message Find more posts by tru-marvell Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Thank God the verdict was what it was. Was not looking forward to the chaos that would ensue if Chauvin had have gotten off.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 02:48 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tru-marvell

Yep...No justice...no peace.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 02:57 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Trocity
Thank God the verdict was what it was. Was not looking forward to the chaos that would ensue if Chauvin had have gotten off.

I'm sure it wouldn't have been that bad. US riots are relatively tame by world standards.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 03:27 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
"god" Is usually part of the problem. thank the jury for their common sense

"Thank god" is just a figure of speech.

Now thank god there wasn't a single Broly, Surt or Silent Master in that "common sense" jury. Cos it would have been a hung jury and the country would have to go through this again.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 03:59 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by SquallX
Calling me a trumper, is that your best?

X said it best, you white liberals are the worse enemies for Blacks. All you do is gaslighting, pretending to give a **** when really you just love to hear yourselves talk about inequality when really you don’t really care.

So yes, shut up!

You sound like a true idiot right now.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 04:00 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Robtard
"Thank god" is just a figure of speech.

Now thank god there wasn't a single Broly, Surt or Silent Master in that "common sense" jury. Cos it would have been a hung jury and the country would have to go through this again.

Lmao

Tbf I do remember Broly condemning it from day 1, and being 100% certain the guy would go down for murder.

The other two however found it difficult to even condemn Chauvin, let alone call him a POS.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 06:58 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Because DT, it's not important to call out the racist cop who slowly murdered a restrained man as being an "animal", you need to call out the people protesting the crime as such. Bootlicking Nazis always good for a laugh.

Anyhow, I know just one of Chavin's crimes carries a maximum of 45 years (not that he'll get it), but I hope he's sentenced to total minimum of at least 50 years for all three crimes combined.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 09:00 PM
Dbomb, The king
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hes probably going to get 15-20 years and get off at 10 for good behavior no

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 09:16 PM
Dbomb, The king is currently offline Click here to Send Dbomb, The king a Private Message Find more posts by Dbomb, The king Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tagm4g
Restricted

Account Restricted

Again, why am I seeing this on my personal news feed. I never was about racism I was about the issue of gender. Why DO YOU KEEP STALLING AND AVOIDING CONFRONTATION YOU ****S

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 09:26 PM
Tagm4g is currently offline Click here to Send Tagm4g a Private Message Find more posts by Tagm4g Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tagm4g
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 09:31 PM
Tagm4g is currently offline Click here to Send Tagm4g a Private Message Find more posts by Tagm4g Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tagm4g
Restricted

Account Restricted

Keeps popping up, it's probably fake I have never seen white on black murder in my experience

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 09:31 PM
ares834

Originally posted by Robtard
Anyhow, I know just one of Chavin's crimes carries a maximum of 45 years (not that he'll get it), but I hope he's sentenced to total minimum of at least 50 years for all three crimes combined.

Since it's all for the same crime, third degree murder and manslaughter are essentially just lesser versions of second degree murder, Chauvin will likely serve time for all three crime concurrently. Which makes sense to me.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 09:36 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

It is strictly up to the judge's discretion if the sentences are concurrent or consecutive?

If you're correct, then I hope he gets the maximum for the most severe of his crimes.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 09:40 PM
ares834

As far as I'm aware, yeah it's up to the judge but they tend to rely on precedent. Realistically, he'll serve his sentences concurrently and he'll probably be sentenced for under 20 years. But who knows.

Personally, I'm hoping he gets the full time for second degree as well which, after a bit of research, is apparently 40 years.

Last edited by ares834 on Apr 21st, 2021 at 09:59 PM

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 09:54 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tagm4g
Restricted

Account Restricted

Are these just automated responses based on an annoyance algorithm?

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 09:56 PM