KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » !!!!!!!!!!!! ------- Spring Tourney! Discussion thread ------- !!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!! ------- Spring Tourney! Discussion thread ------- !!!!!!!!!!!!
Started by: Philosophía

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (42): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smurph
Make the teambuster a 1-post tourney where each poster drafts a few characters from a lower tier and gets one shot to prove their strategy.

Meanwhile, Phil (or whoever is OP) gets 1 post to explain why none of these teams can beat the teambuster.

Most convincing post wins.
I think that's too hard [and lonely!] to do and it'd just turn out as a respect threads considering the variance in characters and tactics.

----

Who wants to participate in this?

I think it will turn out as a variation of this:
- posters get to pick their mid herald OR they get a mid herald randomized
- posters get to pick 1 low herald and get another low herald randomized OR the get two low heralds randomized
- posters get to pick 1 high meta and 2 high metas randomized OR 3 randomized high metas

Whether you get the mid herald, the low heralds or the high metas could also be randomized.

OR

We could pick all of them and no randomization.

OR

Bricks will plant their feet and slug it out!

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Feb 22nd, 2021 at 06:52 PM

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2021 06:48 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

For the record my vote is for everything randomized.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2021 07:04 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

I want it all randomised. It just makes things more fun - we get treated to watching Colossus types desperately being shoehorned into teams, just like in comics.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2021 08:05 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

quote:
All of the picks to be blind to the opponent of course. Otherwise the one who picks last makes it tailored to the opponent

I would do blind Drafts like in Curry's tournament. All players get a number and draft in order via PM. Bo one knows who an opponent has drafted until the first battle starts, or the draw is made and match ups are made. You can't draft to suit an opponent if you havenno clue what opponents have picked.

That's obviously if not randomised

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2021 08:47 PM
beatboks is currently offline Click here to Send beatboks a Private Message Find more posts by beatboks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

I'm okay with randomizing ! And I am down of course.

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2021 08:48 PM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Hmm randomize for could have something like colossus and Ben Grimm against someone like exodus. Or any completely non-tp character v a tp character thus making it impossible to win. There are powersets that just can’t be overcome. Those battles in tourney situations are terrible. No fun. For either side. If you want to randomize something like that I think you’ll have to go eliminate a bunch of characters to prevent completely lopsided matches. 🤷‍♂️

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2021 09:06 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Bricks punching each other is not varied enough for Leo, bricks getting mind-raped is not fun for Leo, just go ahead and say you hate bricks

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2021 09:09 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Leo is still salty about 3D Man...

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2021 09:12 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

laughing out loud I had legit blocked out that memory. I don’t even remember what tourney that was from. Bricks are cool in amalgams but yeah how you’d make a brick tourney exciting is beyond me. 🤷‍♂️

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2021 09:36 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

quote:
I think it will turn out as a variation of this:
- posters get to pick their mid herald OR they get a mid herald randomized
- posters get to pick 1 low herald and get another low herald randomized OR the get two low heralds randomized
- posters get to pick 1 high meta and 2 high metas randomized OR 3 randomized high metas

Whether you get the mid herald, the low heralds or the high metas could also be randomized

I think to match a mid herald it should be a low plus a single high meta only, and 3 high meta.

For example let's say someone has BA or Shazam (mid heralds) if someone else has a merger of Jay Garrick (low herald) with mortal Herc, or Colosseum, or Capt Britain its a decently close match. Greater speed + speed steal with slightly lower strength and durability. Two low heralds is closer but not quite up to matching a high herald. If it was say two of those high metas + Northsatar who has more even speed and no speed steam its also close to even. The combined strength and durability of Cap Britain and mortal Herc or colossus with Northstar speed is a decent match

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2021 10:33 PM
beatboks is currently offline Click here to Send beatboks a Private Message Find more posts by beatboks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

It depends on the luck.

Somebody could land Cable and be up against Hercules and Aquaman.

That's why randomization is fun, anything can happen. *high fives Bentley*

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 12:48 AM
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

Originally posted by leonidas
Hmm randomize for could have something like colossus and Ben Grimm against someone like exodus. Or any completely non-tp character v a tp character thus making it impossible to win. There are powersets that just can’t be overcome. Those battles in tourney situations are terrible. No fun. For either side. If you want to randomize something like that I think you’ll have to go eliminate a bunch of characters to prevent completely lopsided matches. 🤷‍♂️

That's fair actually, I rescind that opinion. No randomizing so it'll actually be guaranteed to be interesting.

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 01:15 AM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Ok, so we need a merger between randomized and non-randomized.

But before we can look over that:

Who else wants to participate in this?

We have up until now:
Saint
Beatboks
Bentley?????
Leo
Damborg

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 09:45 AM
DarkSaint85

Or we get to redraft once/twice.

Reason why I like randomised is, I got loads of fun with Xo Manowar, and so did Bentley in reading up on him. I'd never had chosen him, because I'm not a beatboks

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 09:55 AM
Philosophía

thumb up

I'd be ok with redrafting.

We can take out the telepaths if it's such a problem.

We shouldn't really be striving for "perfect match-ups" otherwise it takes out all the fun, imo. Landing random [sometimes shit] characters is what's great, even if you have an uphill to climb.

Last edited by Philosophía on Feb 23rd, 2021 at 10:06 AM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 10:04 AM
Philosophía

So to combine both crowds of "randomize" and "pick" with incentives:

Rules:

1. You will either get:
a). A mid herald that is randomized
b). 2 low heralds that you can CHOOSE to randomize OR pick 1 and that's it
c). 3 high metas that you can CHOOSE to randomize OR pick 2 and that's it OR pick 1 and get the other 2 randomized.

IF you don't like your mid herald, you get to randomize again ONCE
IF you chose to randomize both low-heralds and don't like what you got, you can randomize BOTH again. If you chose one of your heralds, you don't get another randomization.
IF you chose to randomize all 3 high metas and you don't like what you got, you can randomize ALL of them again. IF you chose to pick 2 you're stuck with them, obviously. IF you chose to pick one and the the other 2 randomized, you get to randomize again one of the other two.

I know that's a lot of text, but hopefully it makes sense, and it's the middle ground for those who want randomization and those who do not.

Last edited by Philosophía on Feb 23rd, 2021 at 11:23 AM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 11:15 AM
Bentley
Seitei

That's a lot of text? When did we get a Tik Tok brain?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 11:17 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Tbh I would have said that even if it was just 2 sentences.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 11:19 AM
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Or we get to redraft once/twice.

Reason why I like randomised is, I got loads of fun with Xo Manowar, and so did Bentley in reading up on him. I'd never had chosen him, because I'm not a beatboks

How is the choosing of XO Manowar a "bestboks" move (if I'm getting what your implying right) or is it that on many forums I get labelled the guy who picks the obscure unknown character?

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 11:51 AM
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

That mix of randomized and draft seems fair enough to me.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 11:53 AM