KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » !!!!!!!!!!!! ------- Spring Tourney! Discussion thread ------- !!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!! ------- Spring Tourney! Discussion thread ------- !!!!!!!!!!!!
Started by: Philosophía

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (42): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

There is another way that we could have complete randomisation and allay the fears of those with regards to it.

Everything could be completely randomized but with cancelled/blocked redundancies.

So for example if someone got a total brick randomly there second randomized draft would have all bricks removed from the field to draw from. If someone got a character with a vast array of versatility than only 1 trick ponies would be available as a second randomized draft. Any draft heavy in one powerset type would eliminate others of that powerset from the draft pool for their next draft.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 12:03 PM
beatboks is currently offline Click here to Send beatboks a Private Message Find more posts by beatboks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Philosophía
Tbh I would have said that even if it was just 2 sentences.

Every sentence you type is too much.

Originally posted by beatboks
How is the choosing of XO Manowar a "bestboks" move (if I'm getting what your implying right) or is it that on many forums I get labelled the guy who picks the obscure unknown character?

Yes.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 01:31 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Originally posted by beatboks
There is another way that we could have complete randomisation and allay the fears of those with regards to it.

Everything could be completely randomized but with cancelled/blocked redundancies.

So for example if someone got a total brick randomly there second randomized draft would have all bricks removed from the field to draw from. If someone got a character with a vast array of versatility than only 1 trick ponies would be available as a second randomized draft. Any draft heavy in one powerset type would eliminate others of that powerset from the draft pool for their next draft.
If they have fears, they should choose the fixed pick. And for those who want to risk getting a limited brick, they can randomize. The only one that is purely randomized with no choice is mid herald -- and even then you can randomize again.

I don't want this to be "everybody gets characters they're happy with" -- including me.

We can remove some characters in general if that's the problem, from mid herald so at least most picks would be solid. But there's a 33% chance any contestant lands mid herald anyway [and he can redraft, too].

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Feb 23rd, 2021 at 01:45 PM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 01:42 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Just randomise the whole thing and let the chips fall where they lie.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 01:46 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

thumb up

I landed OMAC as a mid-herald two tourneys ago. Bentley landed Colossus after redrafting Abomination for the last one.

It was still a shitload of fun. I think it's even more fun to be the big underdog.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 01:50 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

The main point is to have a sh*t draft and then complain about the judges "not getting" your plan

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 01:58 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Originally posted by Bentley
The main point is to have a sh*t draft and then complain about the judges "not getting" your plan
thumb up

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 02:13 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

bentley as always cuts through the bs to the truth like a microlaser beam. laughing out loud

my 2 cents on why i don't prefer the randomized method--in the 'old days' tourneys and bz's were conducted to see who the best debaters were. by randomizing, you bring in a great deal of luck. like i said, no amount of debating skill sees prof x lose to ben grim. i see phil working to adjust for this so that's cool and i'll compete whatever the rules, but that's sort of at the heart of why i've never preferred random.

of course someone will argue--the best debater will adjust!1! and there is some merit to that but unlike, say, cards, where if you're dealt a bad hand you can bluff and win, a bad hand here really can't be saved.

randomize it all, and have everyone in though if that's what you guys really want. i'm down for whatever. just need to end some of this winter pandemic boredom.... thumb up

and phil you're playing in this thing too, right, not just hosting?

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 03:44 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Yes, I will most likely be in. Depends when we manage to finalize. It'd be nice if there were 8 of us. Right now we're 6, assuming Bentley is in.

I like it because it forces the participant out of his comfort zone with character(s) that are not his pick, has to do research, has to overcome what will certainly be powerset deficiencies, has to try and mesh together characters that may or may not do well together, has to fight uphill battles etc.

Everybody going for their preferred choice based on turn is boring and simple for me, but if everybody wants that, it'd be ok too. "I pick Nate Grey, I pick Green Lantern, I pick Martian Manhunter, let's go!" is essentially just another vs thread and who picks the better power set/power mesh first.

With all the permutations, it's pretty hard to get all bad picks. You can be conservative and play it safe with fixed choices, so that you're not dealt a bad hand. Or you can risk it, and maybe get the advantage. Which is an extra layer that I like!

You'd have to land mid-herald, then your first pick has to be bad enough to redraft and your 2nd pick would also have to be bad. I know I'm not the one to talk considering the latter 2 happened to me, but the chances are really small. Other than that, you can get a fixed low herald of your choosing or two low heralds randomized [twice], or you can get 2 chosen fixed high metas or 3 high metas randomized [again, twice] OR 1 chosen high meta and two randomized.

The chances of one, if any, to have really disastrous picks is pretty small.

Last edited by Philosophía on Feb 23rd, 2021 at 04:25 PM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 04:21 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

fair enough. a fun variation i thought of a while back would have us pick characters for EACH OTHER to use. there would be a ltd field of say 16 characters, and you and your opponent blindly pick for each other. i thought about a tiered tourney--first rd we pick streets for each other (or 2 characters and we can amalgamate) then the next rd it's metas then heralds. be fun to be able to use a variety of characters, see how people do at each level.

again, i'm in regardless of the rules. thumb up

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 04:37 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

We could do that. I think we could to multiple tourneys throughout the following months tbh, doesn't look like things will change too much worldwide, lol. thumb up

A heads up for everybody -- if you want to remove characters from the mid-herald tier, please state it.

If people want to, these are my proposals: Skreet (maybe?), Wildfire, OMAC (he is not mid-herald, lol), The Fallen One, Damage, void (wildstorm)?

Also, I don't know about you all, but Iron Man should be low-herald...

Last edited by Philosophía on Feb 23rd, 2021 at 04:51 PM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 04:46 PM
DarkSaint85

Or how about...

Each participant names 5-6-7 etc characters (depending on how many contestants we get) to go into a pool, THEN randomised.

That way, we don't get Colossus. Or do we??

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 04:51 PM
Philosophía

Hm.

I think that sounds good. And it would eliminate any kind of needless complication with redrafting and fixed picks and whatnot.

I'd be down for that.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 04:52 PM
Smurph
------

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Or how about...

Each participant names 5-6-7 etc characters (depending on how many contestants we get) to go into a pool, THEN randomised.

That way, we don't get Colossus. Or do we??
If you go with this, with no prep time and a three post limit, then I’m in.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 05:18 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

yeah i think that's been done in the past--select characters, randomized but that would work for sure. add to that what smurph said and that should be good. thumb up

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 05:20 PM
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

we still need a couple people. what about supermutant? he been around?

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 05:25 PM
Philosophía

No, he's gone.

I'm thinking abhi or Mr. Mind? Mungi, maybe?

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 05:34 PM
Philosophía

We could have carver and give him Gladiator and Hulk from the start.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 05:45 PM
Philosophía

I'm talking to a few posters now.

We could start nominating the characters in the meantime.

7 for each tier, each poster.

Last edited by Philosophía on Feb 23rd, 2021 at 05:55 PM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 05:53 PM
qwertyuiop1998
The Vampire

@Phil
Thanks bro. Im really appreciate you asking me. But I dont have enough time and energy and I dont think Ive enough knowledge about those characters to handle it. sad
Again Im really appreciate your invitation and Im really sorry about that. But I think I couldnt join this tourney

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2021 06:15 PM
qwertyuiop1998 is currently offline Click here to Send qwertyuiop1998 a Private Message Find more posts by qwertyuiop1998 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote