KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Physical Gaming vs Digital Gaming - The Ultimate Debate Thread

Physical Gaming vs Digital Gaming - The Ultimate Debate Thread
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

The thing is....most games I will never play again. I would say 80% of them. I realized I don't care if I kept Assassins Creed Syndicate....

In 15 years, if Microsoft kicks the bucket and I want to play a game that I cannot access anymore......I will probably pay the $5 bucks to pick it up again.

Last edited by Smasandian on Apr 14th, 2021 at 04:26 AM

Old Post Apr 14th, 2021 04:23 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Oddly enough, my house was actually broken into as a kid. The assholes took every game I owned.

I've never had any of my digital games accounts hacked ever(I probably just jinxed myself). I agree it's possible, and I'm not arguing burglary like that is common for most folks. I don't even intend this as a counterargument, as its anecdotal and just one incident. I have legit experienced my physical games being stolen from me though. That neighborhood was going to shit right before my parents decided to move us away from there.

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 14th, 2021 at 07:29 AM

Old Post Apr 14th, 2021 07:20 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I'm just saying you will never ever have a guarantee, (assuming you game on consoles) that your digital purchases are indefinite, and that the company that LET YOU buy them won't take them from you tomorrow.
This cuts both ways. Conversely, you can NEVER lose or damage a digital copy of a game. I lost my entire PS2 and 360 physical collection in a house fire in 2012, as a example, and numerous disks to simple wear and tear as a child. How is that more permanent than a digital copy?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 14th, 2021 07:28 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I lost all of my DVD's when I was in my 20's because some people busted down my door.

Another good thing about digital is that you will most likely not come across situations where you cannot find a game anymore. Publishers only print a number amount of discs...while digital doesn't have that (unless its artificial scarcity).

Old Post Apr 14th, 2021 12:07 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

LimitedRun said a thing, but it was quickly called out by tons of people:
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames...002466983923712

"This is the inevitable digital future. At some point all digital storefronts will cease to exist, replaced by newer technology or storefronts. Digital purchases are not forever. #ForeverPhysical"

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Apr 15th, 2021 10:57 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

So a group that publishes physical games says all digital stores will cease to exist....of course they would say that.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2021 11:54 AM
Jmanghan

Think it's kind of hypocritical that they criticize digital gaming and wanna support physical gaming, yet refuse to reprint games.

I get that's the whole point of the games being "Limited Run's", but don't say "Forever Physical" when a small amount of people actually get to buy your games (that are usually gone within a month and cost 2-3x as much as the original digitally.)

Old Post Apr 15th, 2021 12:11 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah, that is major downside of physical games..there is only a finite number of printable copies available.

And you are right, its very hypocritical.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2021 01:33 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Limited run games in particular, People put a monopoly on them selling copies more then they're worth.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2021 05:55 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by Smasandian
The thing is....most games I will never play again. I would say 80% of them. I realized I don't care if I kept Assassins Creed Syndicate....

In 15 years, if Microsoft kicks the bucket and I want to play a game that I cannot access anymore......I will probably pay the $5 bucks to pick it up again.

I also agree with this. thumb up Even in the context of DRM games, it doesn't change much. I think if folks were totally honest with themselves, they'd realize their games collection mostly sits around collecting dust. I had this same conversation with folks about digital comics. "Owning" it just feels like an empty concept here. You do own it, but is it actually serving you in any way? You read/play/watch it once, or even a few times, then it goes into permanent storage.

The same people likely have bank accounts though. I think folks forget how huge a deal that was historically, and even now. There was an entire generation of folks that wanted to keep their cash stashed in safes in their houses instead. Why? The money in your bank account, technically, could disappear tomorrow. This actually happened to some Chase Bank customers years back, due to a glitch in Chase's system. You still happily have your checks direct deposited into your account though, don't you?

And that's something far, far more serious than your game collection. We do this stuff with music, movies, and any number of other things. People get weird about it when it comes to games for some reason though.

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 16th, 2021 at 07:11 AM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2021 06:59 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I would say though...I hate reading digital books. I prefer physical copy of books.
And there is a reason why e-books are not overtaking physical books.

And that...most people who want to read a book that is popular would most likely use their local library.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2021 12:54 PM
StyleTime

The book thing is complicated, for many reasons. It's possible physical books are just preferred by many, but these counts are also a bit misleading.

The big one that everyone references is the 2019 report from the Association of American Publishers. That one has it's flaws.

More articles pointing some shortcomings in counting book sales, especially the Nielson(the other one typically referenced). https://www.janefriedman.com/myth-print/ https://electricliterature.com/ever...-afraid-to-ask/

I think a fully accurate gauge of digital sales vs physical would reveal a far different landscape tbh. Remember, Amazon and many other e-book sellers don't actually publish their sales figures. It's hard to say how much they are selling exactly, and accounting for digital subscription readership is also complicated. Independently published titles(a way bigger thing in e-books) are also not counted since they don't have ISBN's, and are hard to gauge without real data from places like Amazon.

Additionally, no one predicted the rise of audiobooks. They are already overtaking e-books by some estimates, and show no signs of slowing down. Considering their rate of growth, we may be witnessing the return of oral story telling. It's like technology allowed us to reconnect with our roots, in a way. The oral tradition is the original way humans told stories.

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 21st, 2021 at 12:48 AM

Old Post Apr 21st, 2021 12:37 AM
Jmanghan

Wouldn't ya know it, despite being safe since 2012, my PS account was hacked. smile

Old Post May 16th, 2021 07:56 PM
StyleTime

That sucks. Did you get it back? Lose anything?

Old Post May 16th, 2021 08:14 PM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by StyleTime
That sucks. Did you get it back? Lose anything?
I can't imagine what I'd have lost, but yeah I got it back.

I have no idea how it got hacked?

Is 2-Step verification required in this day and age? Cause if so that.. ****in sucks.

Old Post May 16th, 2021 08:41 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

It's not required, but it's a good idea whenever available. I have 2-step verification for everything I can.

Old Post May 16th, 2021 09:47 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

2 step verification is absolutely required, yes.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post May 16th, 2021 09:48 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Yeah. Is a small price to pay for a peace of mind.

Old Post May 16th, 2021 10:04 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

They also made a purchase using my saved card. smile

Rayman Legends for $5.24

Old Post May 17th, 2021 04:06 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

I like digital gaming on my ps4 because it takes away the taxes. I save 10 bucks on full price games.

Old Post May 17th, 2021 04:37 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote