KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ares834

Nothing needs to "make sense" nor is there any need for retcons. It's all non-canon now. I'm advocating straight up ignoring TORtanic and making KotOR 3 as it was originally envisioned wherein the True Sith are not the lame Galactic Empire knock off that we see in SWTOR and are ultimately destroyed by Revan and the Exile over the course of the game.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2021 06:23 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
Nothing needs to "make sense" nor is there any need for retcons. It's all non-canon now. I'm advocating straight up ignoring TORtanic and making KotOR 3 as it was originally envisioned wherein the True Sith are not the lame Galactic Empire knock off that we see in SWTOR and are ultimately destroyed by Revan and the Exile over the course of the game.

Not likely. Disney won't even let the What If..?? people use Star Wars characters, in spite of the entire point of the franchise to have fun with non canon scenerios that don't count.

They're pretty draconian about protecting canon.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2021 01:35 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Oof, my bad.

I figured since they kept supporting TOR for some reason it made it canon, rip.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Sep 11th, 2021 02:40 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I’ve never played the original.

Is this a good game or an Amazeballs game?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 12th, 2021 04:19 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

^ Do you like Mass Effect? For my money, it's a better Mass Effect 1. With worse graphics and combat but a far better story and characters.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2021 10:03 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Sep 13th, 2021 at 07:09 PM

Old Post Sep 13th, 2021 06:54 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Toxicly defending the sequel trilogy, saying how the originals suck, not even liking the KOTOR games and this was the first person that came to mind they wanted to make a Star Wars game?

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Sep 13th, 2021 at 07:34 PM

Old Post Sep 13th, 2021 07:21 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Did I miss a tweet? Where did she say that she doesn't like knights of the Old republic? She said it wasn't her favorite Star wars game. It's not mine either.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Sep 13th, 2021 08:01 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Did I miss a tweet? Where did she say that she doesn't like knights of the Old republic? She said it wasn't her favorite Star wars game. It's not mine either.
Mine either, it's pure RPG excellence, but in terms of genre I prefer stuff like Jedi Academy. Hell I'd maybe even put Republic Commando above it if it had more levels and content.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2021 08:05 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Smasandian
I think combat needs to approve at least....I'm not sure how...but I would like to see it a bit more involved.

KotOR's combat is a modified NWN combat, and that's pushing 20 years old right now. Personally, after having spent a shitton of time in Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Baldur's Gate 3, I'm all for a return to traditional turn based combat with tactical nuance for once. If it plays like Dragon Age 1, I'll dodge it like a draft. That Infinity Engine real time BS was fun years ago but I'm pushing 40 and I don't want to mind a bunch of virtual children manually because their AI is garbage and auto-pause is as jarring as spikes on a car seat.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Why would you want TOR on consoles? It's a horrible MMO.

It's like current WoW only less good with a Star Wars paintjob.

TOR is actually pretty awesome in terms of available content, solo friendly questing, and class-centric storytelling.

And it's Star Wars. WoW jumped the shark so long ago it's barely worth bringing up anymore unless they're going to nerf more lewd background paintings.

^ Do you like Mass Effect? For my money, it's a better Mass Effect 1. With worse graphics and combat but a far better story and characters.

Mass Effect is a MUCH better space opera, with better world building, dialogue, and combat compared to KotOR 1. Even if it has aged like an apple core in a dumpster in July.

I think I threw up in my mouth. Is this a real person or an account of a caricature?

The Last Jedi probably the worst SW film in existence, and Rise of Skywalker might contest even that. I'd rather see George Lucas release a THX remastered version of the Christmas special than either of those films again.

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Toxicly defending the sequel trilogy, saying how the originals suck, not even liking the KOTOR games and this was the first person that came to mind they wanted to make a Star Wars game?

Hollywood, and now game companies, think it's cool to be inclusive, but instead of bringing on reasonable talent which respects people as people, they tend to bring on morons who alienate their core fanbases.

No, Gingerbitch, Rey isn't a bad character because she's a Mary Sue; she's a bad character because she has the depth of a shower puddle and half of her character arc, if you can call it that, doesn't make any ****ing sense. I went into the ST hoping to lampoon Kylo and ended up liking him much more than her. Hell, they did my boy Luke dirty by making him want to kill his nephew when he had fought tooth and nail to redeem his child-murdering estranged Dark Side using father.

Then you have Holdo, who has no respect for Poe and genuinely incites rebellion with her half-cocked leadership, Snoke being a walking red herring, Sidious/Sheev coming back for no reason at all since he's on life support, Force diodes, the remaking of Sith and Jedi homeplanets as being one-biome cesspools with no real history behind them, the First Order outpacing the old Empire by miles with mysterious funding, a Sith knife which can point to a hidden holocron, etc. etc. Oh and every single saber fight looks like Ray Charles and Geordi LaForge without his visor swatting at mosquitoes. Absolute garbage writing, nonsense excuse plots, bad characters, disrespect to established good characters in the saga...

I can't go on a tangent about this or I'll start speaking in tongues, I swear.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2021 04:45 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

"Anakin was auto-born strongest Jedi because midichlorians"

Yet he was arrogant. He failed to save his mom and his wife whom he turned to the dark side for. He got his limbs sliced off. The man died to save his son.

Yep, totally a Gary Stu. Rey had no real development or flaws to speak of. You can like her in some way, but there's no defending her like that. I was never that big on KoToR like other Star Wars games, but knowing this person's the writer with all those red flags seems to already kill interest in this game for people.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2021 09:09 PM
Ridley_Prime is online now! Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

Yet he was arrogant. He failed to save his mom and his wife whom he turned to the dark side for. He got his limbs sliced off. The man died to save his son.

Yep, totally a Gary Stu. Rey had no real development or flaws to speak of. You can like her in some way, but there's no defending her like that. I was never that big on KoToR like other Star Wars games, but knowing this person's the writer with all those red flags seems to already kill interest in this game for people.

I mean, yeah, I wouldn't waste my time if she's the head writer. Her credits are not promising, and she had no hand in the original at all. Her inflammatory social media presence tells me she is more interested in pushing her agenda than writing objectively solid fiction and making fans eager to pony up their cash. If she botches the delivery of this game, The Old Republic might die a horrible death after all these years.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2021 10:01 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

Well yeah, she's either a retard or is arguing in completely bad faith. Or maybe both. Plus, midichlorians were one of the biggest points of contention with the prequels.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2021 12:26 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Funny, reviews called kotor1 the beta for the complete ME experience.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2021 01:19 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well yeah, she's either a retard or is arguing in completely bad faith. Or maybe both. Plus, midichlorians were one of the biggest points of contention with the prequels.

I just don't understand it. Why was Ronald D. Moore able to write a show with all the staples of feminist programming, what with the gender swapping and the high number of women in important positions and a lot of women in general, and do it while actually writing compelling characterization, yet the current "woke" era seems blind to character building?

I mean, is it laziness? Because it sure isn't ignorance, the people helming this shite are well trained in film theory, so this is willfully turning a blind eye.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2021 01:25 AM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Just in case any of you had high hopes for this remake, the company behind it is known for porting games and nothing else.

So you have a writer who hasn't written Star Wars and has a strong feminist agenda which permeates through her writing, a dev company not known for original works at all, and apparently I've heard Beamdog lost the bid to remake the game to them to boot.

Also, the fact that a remake game NEEDS a writer at all is a bit concerning, since that implies they're rewriting substantial amounts of content. If they intend to make it nu canon to mesh with Disney, I can expect only the worst.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2021 01:32 PM
Jmanghan

https://gamerant.com/star-wars-knig...er-interactive/

Thank you god Saber for dropping Aspyr from this product, they put less work into their ports then EA does into their games and charge extra for it to boot.

"We don't feel like supporting servers for this game, so you get no multiplayer but we're still gonna charge you extra even though we removed large portions of the game and made it a far lesser experience overall." People who play Jedi Academy on console do not like this company at all, lol.

Anyway, even if that weren't the case, their poor performance and behavior through-out the development cycle thus far had me less then hopeful.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2022 09:42 AM
ares834

Not like Saber Interactive is some great company either.

At this point, I'd rather this just be completely cancelled.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2022 09:17 PM
Jmanghan

Not like Saber Interactive is some great company either.

At this point, I'd rather this just be completely cancelled.
It's not but Aspyr will always be a company that doesn't care. They were given entry-level stuff: Port some games over, and somehow they managed to **** that up badly. I think they went a week without patching KOTOR II despite the fact that no one in the world could beat it.

Just recently the Jedi Academy servers on Switch (and presumably PS4, the only SW game that they left the multiplayer feature in) went down about a week ago, they still aren't up yet. They are legitimately a company that would rather remove multiplayer modes from a game outright then support them, banned most Switch players from their discord because of complaints about their SW ports (some of which have gone on to make their own discords, some housing hundreds of people.)

Then they charge extra for these ports, including the extremely gimped version of JKA.

Anyway, back to the topic... I don't have high hopes for this remake but I still don't think it will be awful, I think it will run well and be fun. It clearly won't be as good as the original and anyone expecting otherwise is (and was) kidding themselves. The FFVII remake was a good game... but did anyone really, honestly expect it to live up to the original? If it ends up being horrible then we always have the original as well.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2022 12:28 AM