KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » outliers vs consistency

outliers vs consistency
Started by: leonidas

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
Once to know they have super speed at all.

I don't know, a half-dozen? To get an average. That can include fighting people with superspeed too.

I like how you say "can include fighting people at super speed".

Because a lot of people pretend a character with blatant examples of super speed who never uses it in a fight, will not have super speed in a forum fight. Val Armorr the Karate Kid is a prominent example of this, regularly dodging Kryptonian level super speed, occasionally outreacting Flash level speedsters, and even dodging Impulse in the form of Speed Force Lightning while holding onto a lightning rod.

By all that, he should blitz the crap out of any street leveler or meta. But nope, struggles with Robin the boy wonder, must be a scrub.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 4th, 2021 02:15 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

laughing out loud

so how do YOU rationalize that? what's the PIS there? is it PIS when he fights a kryptonian? or is it PIS when he fights robin? how do you decide?

the sbp discussions taking place make me wonder about his punches 'reality-changing' ability too. would that ability be considered something you could use in a forum match? i've seen it cited any number of times. but the power is pretty random, and certainly when you look at the number of times he's punched something vs the number of times he's altered reality, the ability can be viewed to be very rare. fair play to call on a punch that we can't even predict the effects of...?

Old Post May 6th, 2021 04:14 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by cdtm
I like how you say "can include fighting people at super speed".

Because a lot of people pretend a character with blatant examples of super speed who never uses it in a fight, will not have super speed in a forum fight. Val Armorr the Karate Kid is a prominent example of this, regularly dodging Kryptonian level super speed, occasionally outreacting Flash level speedsters, and even dodging Impulse in the form of Speed Force Lightning while holding onto a lightning rod.

By all that, he should blitz the crap out of any street leveler or meta. But nope, struggles with Robin the boy wonder, must be a scrub.

Bat-family never counts. Ever. Just like Cap and Logan, we need to treat those encounters as special cases.

Originally posted by leonidas
laughing out loud

so how do YOU rationalize that? what's the PIS there? is it PIS when he fights a kryptonian? or is it PIS when he fights robin? how do you decide?

the sbp discussions taking place make me wonder about his punches 'reality-changing' ability too. would that ability be considered something you could use in a forum match? i've seen it cited any number of times. but the power is pretty random, and certainly when you look at the number of times he's punched something vs the number of times he's altered reality, the ability can be viewed to be very rare. fair play to call on a punch that we can't even predict the effects of...?

SBP's "reality punch" had extenuating circumstances attached to it, not least of which was that he had a physical barrier of reality to actually hit.

For the most part, he's not going to punch Thor and fracture reality in a forum match.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 6th, 2021 04:30 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carver9

People use Batman to downplay high tier showings, though. When did something come into play where Batman encounters not counting? I'm not disputing you, I'm asking a question.

Example, me using Hulk surviving a all put punch from Galactus and then someone mentioning it doesn't count and it's PIS because people like Batman withstand hits from Wonder Woman and Superman.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post May 6th, 2021 05:14 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by carver9
People use Batman to downplay high tier showings, though. When did something come into play where Batman encounters not counting? I'm not disputing you, I'm asking a question.

Example, me using Hulk surviving a all put punch from Galactus and then someone mentioning it doesn't count and it's PIS because people like Batman withstand hits from Wonder Woman and Superman.

If a person uses Batman to try to make another character look bad, then they're trolling and/or a dumbass. Simple as that.

...That's not the same thing.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 6th, 2021 05:22 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

laughing out loud

Its not something he can turn on or off.
Its definitely something the writer can use in a reasonable enough setting though.

Old Post May 6th, 2021 05:33 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

laughing out loud

yeah, i've said this before but it could use some consideration here--if something happens over and over (ie, consistently) then it should no longer be considered PIS. imo. batman is a great example, as is logan. both have made entire careers out of battling people well above their tiers, and each does so with regularity. if it happens over and over, i don't like to label it PIS because to do so would render almost ALL their stories PIS. to me that makes no sense--how can we just discount so many showings? if it happens on a consistent basis, i think that should override the definition of pis. imo.

Old Post May 6th, 2021 05:40 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by celeyhyga17
Its not something he can turn on or off.
Its definitely something the writer can use in a reasonable enough setting though.

that the writer can use--so you don't think it would be valid in a forum fight? the ability is purely pre-crisis-like in it's lack of logic. i tend to agree that it shouldn't come up in most matches. i wonder if it's anger related...?

Old Post May 6th, 2021 05:42 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

laughing out loud

yeah, i've said this before but it could use some consideration here--if something happens over and over (ie, consistently) then it should no longer be considered PIS. imo. batman is a great example, as is logan. both have made entire careers out of battling people well above their tiers, and each does so with regularity. if it happens over and over, i don't like to label it PIS because to do so would render almost ALL their stories PIS. to me that makes no sense--how can we just discount so many showings? if it happens on a consistent basis, i think that should override the definition of pis. imo.

To be fair, there's more of a disconnect when it comes to Logan and Batman.

When it comes to people like Hulk and Superman, these are characters that, by design, can be written as having no limits to what their power can do.

Whereas with Batman and Logan and Cap, etc, we're supposed to believe that they're underdogs with limits that should stop them surviving the things they do. They're well beyond the "street levellers are peak human" stuff that we see the likes of Green Arrow and such do. That's why they're a cluster****.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 6th, 2021 06:07 PM
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

that the writer can use--so you don't think it would be valid in a forum fight? the ability is purely pre-crisis-like in it's lack of logic. i tend to agree that it shouldn't come up in most matches. i wonder if it's anger related...?

It can cuz in forum fights, u can come up with any setting.
I'd have to think on it more for standard settings.

Old Post May 6th, 2021 06:18 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote