KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Steam Deck

Steam Deck
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Steam Deck

Steam Deck, a handheld PC made by Valve that will let you play the games you were too nervous installing on your laptop.

Gotta say. I'm actually pretty excited for this.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2021 09:17 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

You can even dock it to another monitor like the Switch.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2021 10:54 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Really impressive price point.

Looks solid all around.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 03:26 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Looks like junk to me.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 03:35 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Design irrelevent when, again, it can be docked and played on a tv/monitor. Not to mention a much cheaper alternative compared to the fancy setups.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 10:48 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

But in reality, most people who have extensive Steam libraries already have a decent PC....so why would they want to use this in docked mode?

And people who are not playing PC games at the moment are most likely not going to buy this to play PC games.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 11:17 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Klaw
Sigma Male

The controls look bad.

My #1 complaint with the Switch are the Joy-Cons.

Simp list: samhain, Blakemore, snowdragon

If you want to anger a Conservative, lie to him.
If you want to anger a Liberal, tell him the truth.

KMC is a Left Wing echo chamber; just like Reddit and Twitter.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 01:16 PM
Klaw is currently offline Find more posts by Klaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

I’m not really sure how this will pan out, but I must say I do like the idea of a box that allows you to access Steam’s extensive library without having to maintain a quality PC.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 03:31 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

This depends on developers as well.

The benefits of a console is that developers have one platform and during the entire generation, every game should work.

I assume developers will need to make a specific Steam Deck version of their games to ensure it works. If they do not...this thing could obsolete in 2 years

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 03:45 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I'm not sure the Steam Deck is the best move.

Cloud gaming through stuff like GeForce NOW already provides this, except you can use it on any device--pc, phone, tablet, etc. The Steam library isn't fully available yet, but it grows literally every week. The need for fancy hardware is quickly fading, and my phone, which is the same size as the Steam Deck, fills the hand-held void quite nicely.

I just don't know how many people will want to drop $399 on something guaranteed to be obsolete so quickly. Seems like they should continue investing in cloud gaming, and save resources. I'd guess only a few hardcores with extra spending money will go for this.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jul 16th, 2021 at 04:36 PM

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 04:26 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Though...it would be obsolete if the device is treated like a PC by Valve and the developers.

If it's treated like a handheld like the 3DS, Vita and etc....it wouldn't because developers/publishers would know the limitations/specs for the next 5+ years.

But's also a problem. The general public will always go to the Switch before the Steam Deck......so who is buying this thing? PC gamers....and those ****ers are the most finicky gamers on the planet and most likely will only play indies/non-graphic intensive games (because they already own a 4K, ray tracing beast of a PC.

So then...you say to yourself...why would I get this when I can just grab a Switch, that is most likely highly supported by Nintendo for years....and have a very good track record of making handhelds...while to be honest, Valve has been terrible supporting their initiatives.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 05:14 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Because Switch, like other systems, don't have all the games? I certainly would like to finally have a device that supports Steam, play some games exclusive to PC and up-to-date Valve titles like Left 4 Dead. I don't think Gabe cares about updating my 360 copies, let alone rereleasing 'em for modern console. Plus too all the mods I want to try out.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Jul 16th, 2021 at 07:09 PM

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 06:54 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Then it's for you....but you actually believe the general public will buy this?

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 09:07 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

(please log in to view the image)

This raises some good points. The Deck is more practical to be fair, but one should wait for reviews regardless, though the near future of owning one looks slim either way with all the scalpers.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 09:22 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Considering this is being released around Q1 2022 for shipments (according to pre-orders), it might be out of date by the time it gets released. And if Valve treats this as a portable PC and not a console/handheld similar to how MS, Sony and Nintendo...I think this is shortlived.

Assuming it actually makes that date.

But in reality, why is Valve doing this? To get developers to use Steam OS instead of Windows? I assume they are making very little on the pricepoint.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 09:29 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I also think it's misleading that people are saying "oh you got yourself thousand of games"...and then show pictures of Control and etc.

But there is no assumption all these PC games will actually work? One of the benefits of the big three companies producing game hardware is that its suppose to work...of course some games are iffy on those platforms (Cyberpunk for example)....but you will run into bigger issues with your Steam library.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2021 09:55 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
But in reality, most people who have extensive Steam libraries already have a decent PC....so why would they want to use this in docked mode?

And people who are not playing PC games at the moment are most likely not going to buy this to play PC games.

It’s also been confirmed that it can play game pass games. So that’s pretty huge.

But the fact is it being handheld is a big draw. And with the resolution of the screen it shouldn’t become obsolete very quickly. Especially since it’s being sold as a handheld and people will provide have lower standards than they would a normal gaming pc. Meaning playing at 30 FPS is probably acceptable.

Old Post Jul 17th, 2021 06:44 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

One thing I will say about this is, if it does what they're saying it will, is that it will put a lot of game ready machines to people's hands that have been ****ed over by the absolute massacre the PC parts market has been during covid. Even now, GPU prices are not falling fast enough, and supply is still only slowly getting back to normal. This could easily fill a gap in the market.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by StyleTime
The need for fancy hardware is quickly fading

Can't say I agree with this at all. Internet speeds for a lot of people just aren't catching up fast enough, and latency is still a massive problem for a lot of them. Look at the shitshow Stadia was.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 19th, 2021 01:37 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Klaw
Sigma Male

The Steam Deck is way too heavy, 669 grams.

The Switch is lighter and I find that too heavy to play for a bit in handheld.

Simp list: samhain, Blakemore, snowdragon

If you want to anger a Conservative, lie to him.
If you want to anger a Liberal, tell him the truth.

KMC is a Left Wing echo chamber; just like Reddit and Twitter.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2021 12:44 PM
Klaw is currently offline Find more posts by Klaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Thinking about it now, ironically the Steam Deck is more interesting to get as an alternative to something like the PS5 compared to being an alternative to the Switch because by just having a mini PS4/5 but with Steam's library kicks the hell out of a PS4/5 in most cases, and you can hook it up to a TV. Only downside is the dock is sold separately, so depends on how consequential that is price wise compared to a current console.

The Deck might do decently, but it and the Switch won't really be competition for each other. If it does well it'll be because Valve supports it unlike some of their previous hardware, but the Switch had a 5 year head start and isn't going anywhere.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2021 08:45 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote