KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is it too late to do anything about the Climate Change?

Is it too late to do anything about the Climate Change?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 3 15.79%
No 10 52.63%
Not sure 6 31.58%
Total: 19 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Is it too late to do anything about the Climate Change?
Started by: Stigma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Last week, it was in the 30s and 40s and was raining. This week, it is in the 70s and 80s and it is sunny. We went from winter to summer, and skipped over spring.
This might signify an extreme heatwave in July/August.

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post May 12th, 2022 11:49 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Last week, it was in the 30s and 40s and was raining. This week, it is in the 70s and 80s and it is sunny. We went from winter to summer, and skipped over spring.

In tbw 1970's it snowed in CT in June.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 13th, 2022 12:53 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Spring's a Chinese hoax, AdamP

What's your high summer looking like then?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 13th, 2022 04:38 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sorry Robtard, prepare for your heatwave.

I joke.

Not really.

Old Post May 13th, 2022 04:45 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Robtard
Spring's a Chinese hoax, AdamP

What's your high summer looking like then?

Upper 90s at least. Summer will probably last well into autumn again this year.

Old Post May 13th, 2022 05:58 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post May 13th, 2022 07:24 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Supreme Court curbs EPA’s climate powers

The Supreme Court on Thursday curbed the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) ability to regulate climate change, setting limits on how the agency can deal with power plants.

In a 6-3 decision, the majority ruled that Congress did not authorize the EPA to induce a shift to cleaner energy sources using the approach that an Obama-era regulation sought to.
-snip

Since America is the world's #2 mass polluter, #1 if you go by per capita. This is another blow to the planet and to every person. Another reminder of what happens when the Far-Right in America gets control.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2022 03:37 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

I think climate control is an example of a failure of democracy. Sometimes protecting the rights of the minority is a mistake, and when the supreme court is defining a right to pollute as a right that needs protecting, it's a breakdown of the Democratic experiment. A stronger leader could simply get it done. Considering the last time more Americans voted Republican than Democrat was in 2004, and only that once since 1992, the fact that conservatives are exercising their constitutional right to pollute everything when the majority of people are against it is either a complete breakdown of democracy in general, or at the very least, a huge flaw in our constitution.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2022 05:16 PM
truejedi is currently offline Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Glad I'm no longer in Riyadh a friend of mine still there says this is the hottest year ever.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2022 06:03 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Glad I'm no longer in Riyadh a friend of mine still there says this is the hottest year ever.

Almost like there's some kind of a change going on...

Old Post Jun 30th, 2022 06:11 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Almost like there's some kind of a change going on...
Exactly...

Old Post Jun 30th, 2022 06:50 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

quote:
Since America is the world's #2 mass polluter, #1 if you go by per capita. This is another blow to the planet and to every person. Another reminder of what happens when the Far-Right in America gets control.

Mongolia = 26.98 tonnes per capita C02 emission (highest in the world)

On the whole:

https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions

China is much ahead of other countries.

Asia is much ahead of other continents.

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!

Is it?

This is how people feel [each year] when they experience summer in (any) hot region around the world. People tend to assume that every summer is hotter than the next due to climate change rhetoric. Heavy use of Air-Conditioning is making people SOFT in reality.

I live in a region where temperature exceeds 40C [every] summer. Google Earth shows my region in HEAT WAVE ZONE in the present. But this is NOT the hottest summer in my region. Some of the hottest summers I have experienced in my region were in the 90s.

No need to panic.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Jun 30th, 2022 at 08:28 PM

Old Post Jun 30th, 2022 08:13 PM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Mongolia = 26.98 tonnes per capita C02 emission (highest in the world)

On the whole:

https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions

China is much ahead of other countries.

Asia is much ahead of other continents.

Fair enough on per capita thumb up

China's #1 on overall output, but they also have a population of 1.4billion, luckily for the world their population is set to shrink in the coming decades and be about half of what it is now by 2100.

Now I don't expect China to do much without being forced, but I do expect America, the self labeled 'world leader' to lead the way. Even with just America actually doing something it'd put a big dent in the climate crisis.

Last edited by Robtard on Jun 30th, 2022 at 08:33 PM

Old Post Jun 30th, 2022 08:27 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Is it?

This is how people feel [each year] when they experience summer in (any) hot region around the world. People tend to assume that every summer is hotter than the next due to climate change rhetoric. Heavy use of Air-Conditioning is making people SOFT in reality.

I live in a region where temperature exceeds 40C [every] summer. Google Earth shows my region in HEAT WAVE ZONE in the present. But this is NOT the hottest summer in my region. Some of the hottest summers I have experienced in my region were in the 90s.

No need to panic.

Temperatures globally are rising and they're rising at increasing rates.

• Earth’s temperature has risen by 0.14° Fahrenheit (0.08° Celsius) per decade since 1880, but the rate of warming since 1981 is more than twice that: 0.32° F (0.18° C) per decade.

• 2021 was the sixth-warmest year on record based on NOAA’s temperature data.

• Averaged across land and ocean, the 2021 surface temperature was 1.51 °F (0.84 °Celsius) warmer than the twentieth-century average of 57.0 °F (13.9 °C) and 1.87 ËšF (1.04 ËšC) warmer than the pre-industrial period (1880-1900).

• The nine years from 2013 through 2021 rank among the 10 warmest years on record.

https://www.climate.gov/news-featur...bal-temperature

Last edited by Robtard on Jun 30th, 2022 at 08:32 PM

Old Post Jun 30th, 2022 08:29 PM
S_W_LeGenD

Fair enough on per capita thumb up

China's #1 on overall output, but they also have a population of 1.4billion, luckily for the world their population is set to shrink in the coming decades and be half at what it's at by 2100.

Now I don't expect China to do much without being forced, but I do expect America, the self labeled 'world leader' to lead the way. Even with just America actually doing something it'd put a big dent in the climate crisis.

All countries want to shift to Eco-friendly industrial practices and transportation in theory. China have its own plans and measures.

https://www.china-briefing.com/news...eign-investors/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...financing-booms

But this shift will be challenging and uneven across the world. Conflict(s), pandemic(s), and unforeseen developments (covariate shocks) can make things difficult for many countries unfortunately. Economic struggles are also a factor.

I believe in PLANNED and SENSIBLE shift to Eco-friendly industrial practices and transportation. This shift should be in line with socioeconomic considerations of any region.

Creating panic solves nothing. Best course of action would be to help each other.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Jun 30th, 2022 at 09:07 PM

Old Post Jun 30th, 2022 09:02 PM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

You're not wrong overall, as it would be silly to expect a poor third world country to just change practices overnight. But even in countries like America we have people in power who refuse to believe (or at least openly state) that there is a looming problem, our previous President literally said "Climate change is a Chinese hoax" and people cheered.

Telling the truth isn't purposely creating panic. Helping each other is the ideal situation, but not functionally feasible due to greed.

Last edited by Robtard on Jun 30th, 2022 at 09:31 PM

Old Post Jun 30th, 2022 09:27 PM
S_W_LeGenD

You're not wrong overall, as it would be silly to expect a poor third world country to just change practices overnight. But even in countries like America we have people in power who refuse to believe (or at least openly state) that there is a looming problem, our previous President literally said "Climate change is a Chinese hoax" and people cheered.

Telling the truth isn't purposely creating panic. Helping each other is the ideal situation, but not functionally feasible due to greed.

I recall Donald Trump saying that. This man is a Reality TV star, right?

I think he likes to create drama and be at the center of it. People will cheer for him in these situations.

If he actually meant that then I will be genuinely surprised.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2022 02:06 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Whether he genuinely believes it or whether he's saying it for a reaction, they both have the same outcome so it doesn't matter.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2022 02:35 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think he likes to create drama and be at the center of it. People will cheer for him in these situations.

It doesn't matter if he meant it or not. He spread ridiculous shit that the mentally ill and baby boomers believed (who most likely have dementia by now).

Old Post Jul 14th, 2022 04:12 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Who gives a **** about what he means? What he says and what he does are what matters.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2022 04:52 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote