KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Northman (2022)

The Northman (2022)
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
Ungod

I got tix for Saturday evening. big grin

Old Post Apr 20th, 2022 08:45 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Pros: Has some of the most trippy and awesome cinematography on the big screen. Bjork's small appearance being one of the best moments. The sound design is absolutely astonishing. See it in a screen with the best sound tech as possible. It's exactly what you'd expect from Eggers.

Cons: It's completely style over substance. The story doesn't really go beyond what you see in the trailer with "I will avenge you father..."

The tagline "This generation's Gladiator" is a load of shite. It's nothing like Gladiator.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2022 09:19 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Kind of a Nic Cage Mandy situation, then?

Old Post Apr 20th, 2022 09:27 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Actually yeah. A surprisingly good comparison. Less colourful though.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2022 09:50 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

Do you mean colorful in the literal sense? Or some abstract metaphorical way. It's hard to tell on here sometimes.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2022 09:56 AM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Literal. Some parts of The Northman are so bleak and grey you'd think it was in black and white.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2022 10:36 AM
riv6672

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden_2.0

Cons: It's completely style over substance. The story doesn't really go beyond what you see in the trailer with "I will avenge you father..."

^^^Not defending this movie but, Gladiator was “I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

The tagline "This generation's Gladiator" is a load of shite. It's nothing like Gladiator.

^^^Was Gladiator it’s generation’s Spartacus, or was it a different movie?

Old Post Apr 21st, 2022 11:28 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I really enjoyed this, but I also set my expectations up way too high as it wasn’t as epic as I had envisioned it would be. 8.5/10 (I had 11 in my head going in)

Set, costumes, weapons, gear, buildings, and ships where top notch; they felt authentic. Those aspects coupled with Eggers style of using a single camera and close up shots for an entire scene puts you in the time period, also feels like you’re watching a much older film at times, which works considering the settings of his films. That first battle/raid is pure visceral brutality, loved it.

The heavy-handed use of mystic and supernatural elements was at the same time cool to look at, but took away from the story at times. Some of these scenes worked, some didn't, imo. I didn’t mind the extreme singular nature of the plot, this is straight up a revenge film and doesn’t pretend to be anything else.

As Jaden noted, this is an Eggers film, you should expect everything you see. I will be watching this a second time.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Apr 22nd, 2022 at 04:19 PM

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2022 04:13 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

The setting only felt authentic because popular culture has made the vikings seems like something they never were. Shadiversity addressed a lot of the misconceptions about Viking history when Assassin's Creed Valhalla came out. Particularly the rubbish about Scandinavia being a frozen wasteland when it was actually warmer than it is now during the Viking period. That they never wore furs pointed out the way. That the stereotypical view of the berserkers being howling madmen with bear skins over their heads...None of it was historically accurate.

Hopefully he'll do a video on The Northman as well.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2022 06:26 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

The **** then, because Eggers hired an expert of ancient Scandinavian and Viking history and lore to supposedly get it as right as possible.

edit: Shadiversity is a Mormon :/

Still wish Mel Gibson hadn't gone off the rails and tanked his "Berserker" project, could have been great like Apocalypto.

Last edited by Robtard on Apr 22nd, 2022 at 06:35 PM

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2022 06:30 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

The setting only felt authentic because popular culture has made the vikings seems like something they never were. Shadiversity addressed a lot of the misconceptions about Viking history when Assassin's Creed Valhalla came out. Particularly the rubbish about Scandinavia being a frozen wasteland when it was actually warmer than it is now during the Viking period. That they never wore furs pointed out the way. That the stereotypical view of the berserkers being howling madmen with bear skins over their heads...None of it was historically accurate.

Hopefully he'll do a video on The Northman as well.

Uh, yeah it’s an action movie so…whatevs. stick out tongue

Actually, considering all the historical inaccuracies in Gladiator, maybe the tag line for Northman was right after all. laughing

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2022 06:34 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Well he never put horns on the helmets. Thats a +1 score for accuracy at least.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2022 06:40 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I mentioned that too my wife going in, if you see a horned helmet, then it's ****ed.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2022 06:44 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Gonna see this Sunday and I have nothing but high expectations for this

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2022 07:18 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

how is anya taylor joy? does alexander skarsgard speak in his natural accent?

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2022 08:56 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

She does a good role and she's lovely to look at. She's a good actress.

He speaks mostly English with a mild accent and then some Scandinavian/Germanic sounding language that you read with subtitles.

Not sure if it's a current Scandinavian language, Old Norse or some made up language for the film. I think Old Norse though.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2022 09:02 PM
riv6672

Horns on a helmet, planes in the background…it’s all relative! laughing
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2022 11:27 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

That plane sure gets about

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2022 12:37 AM
Siggyp
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2022 12:42 AM
Siggyp is currently offline Click here to Send Siggyp a Private Message Find more posts by Siggyp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Psychotron

Saw it, it was good. I got some Conan the Barbarian (1982) from some parts.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2022 04:32 PM
Psychotron is currently offline Click here to Send Psychotron a Private Message Find more posts by Psychotron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote