KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Northman (2022)

The Northman (2022)
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Saw this. It was awesome. I give it probably 9/10.

8-9/10 maybe at worst. It was great. thumb up

More thoughts later.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2022 01:55 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

just got done watching

felt it coulda been better

always been a fan of anya's

i'd give this 6/10

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 24th, 2022 03:48 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

I got some pretty heavy Darren Aronofsky vibes from it. That's a compliment coming from me, because I've always liked his trippy visuals, like The Fountain, Noah, and Black Swan.

The surround sound and music in the theater was pretty spectacular.

It's a celebration of toxic masculinity!! Haha.. Men unable to help themselves from [SPOILER - highlight to read]: dying in battle for revenge and leaving their women behind, but of course to be reunited in the thereafter!

Dafoe served a small but vital role. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: The prop of his decaying decapitated head is probably the coolest movie prop I have ever seen. I'll be making an avatar of that when I get a chance, haha..

I suspected it might be something akin to Cage's Mandy after Jaden mentioned it was small on story/plot, but I found it MUCH more intriguing and thick in plot than Mandy. Pretty sure Mandy had NO progression of plot after the first act or so. This was intriguing all the way through.

I'm glad I didn't get too hyped for this and watch trailers a bunch, because it was a great little revenge adventure to see fresh in the theater.

Highly recommended. thumb up thumb up

Old Post Apr 24th, 2022 11:17 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Saw this today. I thought it was pretty good. A bit too long though and with too many rituals.

Old Post May 3rd, 2022 10:44 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

movie was a masterpiece and is most likely my film of the year

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post May 15th, 2022 12:13 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

quote: (post)
Originally posted by carthage
movie was a masterpiece and is most likely my film of the year

Yeah, peep my new Dafoe avatar. smokin' cool

Old Post May 15th, 2022 01:17 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

7 out of 10 for me.

Old Post May 16th, 2022 10:28 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Watched it for a second time last night, actually dropped my view of it. 7.5/10 seems about right. The overuse of the mythological and psychedelic-like scenes were too heavy handed.

eg Did the film really need three separate family tree/Yggdrasil scenes? I don't think so.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 16th, 2022 10:45 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Robtard
Watched it for a second time last night, actually dropped my view of it. 7.5/10 seems about right. The overuse of the mythological and psychedelic-like scenes were too heavy handed.

eg Did the film really need three separate family tree/Yggdrasil scenes? I don't think so.

Honestly, the film does a disservice to itself by telling the audience so little. Then again, that kind of film making and storytelling has fallen out of favor in the last 20 years.

The Northman is about a lot of Nordic saga myth tropes and values. Things like family bonds, revenge, heroic death in battle, inescapable Fate, magical swords, the Underworld (Draugr sequence in film), mysticism, and so on.

We're not meant to identify easily with the characters of the film like most standard epic action films. They're mythical. Even the dialogue reads like The Wanderer or Beowulf rather than audience-friendly common English. It captures some of the bleakness of Nordic mythology rather well, and eschews the Horny Vikings nonsense stuff like the Vikings TV show and AC Valhalla celebrate. Being a Northman means a hard life of being manipulated by forces that exist around you and before you came along.

There's a part during the funeral sequence where a holy man utters lines in ancient Norse, and I recognized some of them as a quote from the Hávamál.

One translation of the whole section reads like this:

'Cattle die and kinsmen die,
thyself too soon must die,
but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
fair fame of one who has earned.

Cattle die and kinsmen die,
the doom on each one dead.'

You could argue, and probably successfully, that the Northman is not a well balanced drama or action film. That it doesn't live up to the idealistic tones of Gladiator or King Arthur or The Last Samurai etc. But what it does well is showcase its source material with very little artistic license.

Old Post May 20th, 2022 01:53 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Honestly, the film does a disservice to itself by telling the audience so little. Then again, that kind of film making and storytelling has fallen out of favor in the last 20 years.

The Northman is about a lot of Nordic saga myth tropes and values. Things like family bonds, revenge, heroic death in battle, inescapable Fate, magical swords, the Underworld (Draugr sequence in film), mysticism, and so on.

We're not meant to identify easily with the characters of the film like most standard epic action films. They're mythical. Even the dialogue reads like The Wanderer or Beowulf rather than audience-friendly common English. It captures some of the bleakness of Nordic mythology rather well, and eschews the Horny Vikings nonsense stuff like the Vikings TV show and AC Valhalla celebrate. Being a Northman means a hard life of being manipulated by forces that exist around you and before you came along.

There's a part during the funeral sequence where a holy man utters lines in ancient Norse, and I recognized some of them as a quote from the Hávamál.

One translation of the whole section reads like this:

'Cattle die and kinsmen die,
fair fame of one who has earned.

Cattle die and kinsmen die,
the doom on each one dead.'

You could argue, and probably successfully, that the Northman is not a well balanced drama or action film. That it doesn't live up to the idealistic tones of Gladiator or King Arthur or The Last Samurai etc. But what it does well is showcase its source material with very little artistic license.

^^^Massive upvote. thumb up

Old Post May 20th, 2022 03:05 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote