KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Nintendo's worst mistakes.

Nintendo's worst mistakes.
Started by: VG_Addict

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
VG_Addict

Nintendo's worst mistakes.

Nintendo is a very successful business, and gaming wouldn't be the same without them. Unfortunately, they've had their share of missteps.

What do you consider the worst decisions Nintendo have ever made? My pick would be sticking with cartridges for the N64, causing them to lose third party support.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2022 10:47 PM
VG_Addict is currently offline Click here to Send VG_Addict a Private Message Find more posts by VG_Addict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Mine would be them not buying Rare when they had the chance, in addition to what you said. Plus them being as late as they were to online gaming, their minimalist approach when it comes to online and such things... At this point they've easily made far more mistakes than they have good decisions, but get by simply because they have some of the most iconic recognizable IPs, not all of which I'm personally a fan of but still.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2022 11:08 PM
Ridley_Prime is online now! Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I would agree with that.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2022 01:33 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VG_Addict

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
I would agree with that.

Which post, mine or Ridley's?

Old Post Apr 9th, 2022 09:56 AM
VG_Addict is currently offline Click here to Send VG_Addict a Private Message Find more posts by VG_Addict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Ridley's.

I think Nintendo gets a bump from everybody when they release games.
I read a review from a big site calling the new Kirby one of the most original in the series and rated it a 9.

Maybe it's true but from what I have seen, it's literally just Super Mario Odyssey. Which that game just expands the idea of Kirby.....(and overrated as well).

I also feel the same way about some Sony first party published games...though more about being the best of all time to just being very good aka Horizons 2.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2022 01:35 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Re: Nintendo's worst mistakes.

Originally posted by VG_Addict
Nintendo is a very successful business, and gaming wouldn't be the same without them. Unfortunately, they've had their share of missteps.

What do you consider the worst decisions Nintendo have ever made? My pick would be sticking with cartridges for the N64, causing them to lose third party support.
They were worse off with the Wii U tbh then with the N64.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Apr 9th, 2022 02:19 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Their ridiculously stupid and overpriced cardboard peripherals.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2022 02:27 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

As with many of these Nintendo threads, I guess it depends on how we're defining "mistake."

Is it just things we personally wish they did differently?

Or is it things that actually had meaningful consequences, like the Wii U?

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 9th, 2022 at 03:25 PM

Old Post Apr 9th, 2022 03:12 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
janus77
Banana Genius

They too closely resemble Apple, in their business practices.

Nintendo messed up with Virtual Boy, then made N64 too niche, with the cartridge and controller.

They are basically out of the hardware business, the Switch isn't much more than a midrange smartphone, with half the innards reoved.

The industry has just grown too big and Sony and Microsoft are giants playing a totally different game to Nintendo.

They try to ride their IP in a similar vein to Apple, but they have no "iPhone/iPad", to make the most of their software. Instead, they're basically a Motorola phone or an Amazon tablet.

And with the arrival of the Steam Deck, I suspect that the Switch 2 will not have much of a future.

Are you a Glinting Bastard?

Old Post Apr 11th, 2022 05:57 PM
janus77 is currently offline Click here to Send janus77 a Private Message Find more posts by janus77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Well that's a very stupid take. While they are playing a different game then either Sony or Microsoft, they have achieved a ton of success with the Switch. In fact, the Switch is poised to surpass PS4's sales soon and will very likely remain the most successful of all current gen consoles. I see no reason the Switch 2 won't see a ton of success. Specifically since they are catering to a more casual audience than the Steam Deck.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2022 06:21 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'm not sure how much Switch 2 would be successful.

I would think it would be less successful than Switch but a lot more than Wii U.
That being said...who knows what they are going to do next. They always change it up.

But I always forget that Switch is very successful but essentially replacing two devices....

Old Post Apr 11th, 2022 06:45 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

It's always possible for them to make a Wii U kind of marketing mistake with a Switch 2, which I wouldn't put it past them to be honest.

Still funny to me how the Wii which was their previously highest selling system got succeeded by their worst selling one (worst outside of the Virtual Boy anyway).

Maybe they'd still be using the Wii brand if the U wasn't a flop, but it's expected that they'll stick with the Switch brand for now in the case of a successor system, which would expectedly have backwards compatibility with Switch games, etc. But I don't know how interested I'd be in it; depends on the games.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2022 06:58 PM
Ridley_Prime is online now! Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Well...the Wii was an unexpected success. I don't think there is anybody who thought it would be that big.

And it appealed to a lot of casual players. Everybody I knew had a Wii...but most of those people played it for a year and then left it alone.

So when Wii U came out...which was a terrible name...those casual fans didn't give a shit....

I don't think that will happen with Switch 2.....because it's catering to two markets (handheld and console)...and handhelds have always sold well for Nintendo. So I don't think we will see another failed console from Nintendo assuming they continue producing 1 product to meet 2 markets.

However, if they go away from that...I don't think the Nintendo console does well.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2022 07:57 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Fair point. The 3DS which was the last handheld of its kind before Nintendo started going hybrid sold well, but it had a rough slow start; with the rise of mobile games it also made sense for the 3DS to be the last of the handheld line and Nintendo moving on to hybrid.

I thought the Wii U would've eventually picked up some momentum like the 3DS did, but was dead wrong. Outside of being able to buy older games on the virtual console store which will soon be defunct, it sucked for anyone who got a Wii U, seeing superior ports of games of games they previously bought on the Switch. No one in their right mind would've gotten a Wii U if they knew how the Switch would be, absorbing like 95% of the U's library.

If there ever is another Nintendo flop on that level, I'm not buying it. I learned my lesson from the buyer's remorse I had with the Wii U.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2022 08:11 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

That's my main criticism against Nintendo. They re-sell games for new game prices.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2022 08:33 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Yeah. In the case of the Wii U to Switch though, it was kind of justified; giving games that didn't sell well initially on a failed system a 2nd chance, but it still sucked for the consumer who bought like Mario Kart 8 when MK8 Deluxe was revealed, etc. Usually there's a whole new Mario Kart on a new system too, so it was unprecedented.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2022 08:39 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I don't have a problem if re-released for half price or something like that.
But full price, nah **** that shit.

Unless it's being completely remade (like RE2 and etc).

Old Post Apr 11th, 2022 09:16 PM
StyleTime

I feel like we need to blame consumers for that one. Nintendo only charges that much for re-releases because people are buying them.

Folks need to do the same thing gamers did to the original FFXIV release, and just not buy it. Companies listen once they see their profits shrink.

Last edited by StyleTime on Apr 11th, 2022 at 10:57 PM

Old Post Apr 11th, 2022 10:51 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by VG_Addict

Nintendo is an overrated company who re-releases the same crap gen after gen, and blind fans eat their exorbitantly priced shockwave up because nostalgia.

I couldn't play Metroid Prime or Windwaker then, would rather play Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil, the current offerings have no appeal to me now.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2022 11:13 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by StyleTime

Folks need to do the same thing gamers did to the original FFXIV release, and just not buy it. Companies listen once they see their profits shrink.

Won't happen, People these days love their nostalgia.

Old Post Apr 12th, 2022 05:04 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote