KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Square Enix Sells Crystal, Eidos and Square Montreal

Square Enix Sells Crystal, Eidos and Square Montreal
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Square Enix Sells Crystal, Eidos and Square Montreal

Along with their IPs including Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex, and Thief to Embracer Group for $300Mill. A surprise but a welcome one. Very welcome one.

https://www.polygon.com/23053137/sq...ics-tomb-raider

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on May 4th, 2022 at 03:49 AM

Old Post May 4th, 2022 03:42 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

In terms of Tomb Raider and Deus Ex, I think they did a pretty good job with those IPs.

Old Post May 4th, 2022 04:19 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

They did **** all with Legacy of Kain

I know that they were working on a new game 'Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun' but then that was cancelled.

Old Post May 4th, 2022 04:20 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Along with their IPs including Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex, and Thief to Embracer Group for $300Mill. A surprise but a welcome one. Very welcome one.

https://www.polygon.com/23053137/sq...ics-tomb-raider

quote:
Sweden-based Embracer already owns publishing and development studios Gearbox Software, THQ Nordic, Saber Interactive, Koch Media, Deep Silver, and Coffee Stain Studios. Embracer has also expanded beyond video games to acquire comic book publisher Dark Horse and tabletop game publisher Asmodee. Embracer will have more than 14,000 employees, 10,000 game developers, and 124 internal studios, when the deal with Square Enix closes.

Square Enix says the sale of its studios and IP will establish “a more efficient allocation of resources” and enable “the launch of new businesses by moving forward with investments in fields including blockchain, AI, and the cloud.”

They own Koch Media? eek!

How's it feel to have your favorite game companies owned next to Fox News? laughing out loud

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 4th, 2022 01:46 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote:
Square Enix says the sale of its studios and IP will establish “a more efficient allocation of resources” and enable “the launch of new businesses by moving forward with investments in fields including blockchain, AI, and the cloud.”

There's that word again: blockchain. You know your company doesn't have any real plan if the next words out of its mouth are vague statements about blockchain, AI, and the Cloud.

Just add in The Environment while you're at it.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 4th, 2022 01:49 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Square's western offices have been bollocks for years. I'm not surprised by this at all. I actually think it's a good thing.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 4th, 2022 01:58 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

300 million is an absolute steal for this. Apparently this was alrgely due to the Marvel games being massive bombs that cause SE hundreds of millions but even still.

And it really shows how absolutely awful a deal the Bungie sale was.

Old Post May 4th, 2022 10:17 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

To say Avengers was a mistake is an understatement but one I'm happy with if it meant getting out of SE's clutches. Now hanging with other studios like THQ Nordic and Saber Interactive who have a knack for remasters between Destroy All Humans and helping with the Halo Anniversaries, I'm curious what they'll try doing with these IPs like Legacy of Kain.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post May 4th, 2022 11:54 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by cdtm
They own Koch Media? eek!

How's it feel to have your favorite game companies owned next to Fox News? laughing out loud

They seem to be doing good, Since they also own Deep Silver and that publisher has had some hits under their belt.

Old Post May 5th, 2022 02:45 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Like Ride to Hell Retribution?

Kidding. Yeah, they have Saints Row and plenty other hits under their belt.

Old Post May 5th, 2022 04:07 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I even liked the recent Maneater game from them too.

Old Post May 5th, 2022 04:31 AM
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Good googly moogly PLEASE do something with Legacy of Kain!

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post May 6th, 2022 04:50 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Did the GotG not do well sales wise? It got pretty good reception from what I understand.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post May 6th, 2022 09:31 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Did the GotG not do well sales wise? It got pretty good reception from what I understand.

It was the video game equivalent of Solo: it was never going to succeed because of the shit that preceded it.

It did get very good word out mouth and was pretty well regarded by most who played it. It just had to come after Avengers, which was/is a ****ing disaster.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 6th, 2022 09:57 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Which is a shame because it is a pretty good game. I had a ton of fun with it.
But to be fair, it's a perfect Game Pass game.

Done by different folks though..same group that made the Deus Ex games.

Old Post May 7th, 2022 04:31 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote