KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Joker: Folie a Deux

Joker: Folie a Deux
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
bud perhaps you need t go back t school and educate yourself. Its the job of any studio to make money or are you moronic enough t think otherwise

And Paramount would've made more money if they had made it faithful to the source material, as any other successful adaptation has shown.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2022 03:38 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I saw the first film and thought 'Well, it's well made and well acted, but so what? He's not the real Joker.' He's more like the guy who inspired the true Joker to rise decades later. He would be an old man by the time Bruce is trained and ready.

You can have different interpretations of the mythos, I get it. But one crucial thing is Joker's stance that he's not really insane; that something happened to him in his past that convinced him the world was insane instead, so the only true answer is anarchy and chaos. It's the source of his battle of wills with Batman, that people are inherently bad and anyone can fall.

Giving him a mental illness that he needs medication for in Joker, it's a crutch that changes things too much the wrong way.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jun 11th, 2022 03:07 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Well that's the thing, he lost access to his medication and everything. People's disregard for those less fortunate than themselves is exactly what creates someone like the Joker; a broken system that not only leaves the vulnerable to suffer without the resources they need, but creates its own monsters as a result.

Even before this film, that was what I always got from Joker with what I understood of his vague backstory, as a failed comedian and all.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2022 03:25 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Most of the time, Joker is written either as insane or super-sane --- and from all evidence we have, this "super-sanity" of his is million times worse than the genuine insanity.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2022 03:48 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by roughrider
that something happened to him in his past that convinced him the world was insane instead, so the only true answer is anarchy and chaos.
But that is literally mentally illness. You cannot be a sane, chemically balanced individual and actually believe some bullshit like this- not even to mention of course that most personality disorders do in fact stem from childhood trauma. The entire "bro Joker is totally sane he just... has a different perspective heh heh" stance is just bullshittium comic book writers came up with to try to elevate Joker above the saturday morning cartoon villain he's always been.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Jun 11th, 2022 at 06:46 PM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2022 06:43 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I've seen articles about Lady Gaga potentially playing Harley Quinn. Which is fine, I guess. But they say the film is going to be a musical??

oh lord..

Old Post Jun 18th, 2022 09:58 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

The sequel to Joker being a musical is one of the most incredibly badass things I've ever heard.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2022 10:20 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

That's if they manage to get Lady Gaga as Harley to begin with, who would be an amusing elseworld Harley. Nothing's set in stone, but the sequel will try hard to be artsy like the first one, regardless.

From what I've seen, some who loved the first film and was initially excited for a followup won't be on board with the sequel if it's a musical, while the people who either didn't like the first film or thought a sequel was unnecessary are more interested in said sequel now because of that. Like Joker himself, pure chaos. You love to see it.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2022 12:17 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

From what I've seen, some who loved the first film and was initially excited for a followup won't be on board with the sequel if it's a musical...

Yeah, it depends. If it's a funny dark comedy musical like South Park or Monty Python or something I could be on board, but otherwise I don't do musicals. Not serious musicals.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2022 12:45 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I don't do musicals.
thumb down

What else could you expect from a Tool fan?

Old Post Jun 19th, 2022 02:45 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by NemeBro
thumb down

What else could you expect from a Tool fan?

I don't see the connection.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2022 12:36 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I've seen articles about Lady Gaga potentially playing Harley Quinn. Which is fine, I guess. But they say the film is going to be a musical??

oh lord..

she is,, this turd is now a musical

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 19th, 2022 08:40 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
she is,, this turd is now a musical

I'll maintain somewhat of an open mind because I still hold Todd Phillips in pretty high esteem. So if it's a movie "with music in it" (something more like Blues Brothers, for example) then it could still be good. But if people sing dialogue most of the time forget about it..

Old Post Jun 19th, 2022 10:44 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I'll judge the film when it comes out with some footage, Lady Gaga could surprise everyone as Harley could be even better then Margot Robbie portrayal. Anything is possible these days.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2022 06:44 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

At the very least she should have a better first impression than what Margot Robbie had from the first Suicide Squad film which unlike Joker was almost universally panned. Robbie took time to grow on people, and even then, the newer SS was the only one I really liked her in beyond being eye candy.

The Harley comparisons may not be as one sided as the Phoenix > Leto talk though.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2022 12:25 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

At the very least she should have a better first impression than what Margot Robbie had from the first Suicide Squad film which unlike Joker was almost universally panned. Robbie took time to grow on people, and even then, the newer SS was the only one I really liked her in beyond being eye candy.

Margot is hot, for sure, but I agree. She was good in Gunn's SS because she was better written and directed. But I still found her kind of annoying. But I think that's just the way the character is supposed to be.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2022 01:12 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

It's the most boring concept out of everything the title could have implied but ok, let's see the execution.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jun 20th, 2022 04:28 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Musicals are hit/miss for me, like I still can enjoy The Sound of Music and Grease, while Les Miserables (2012) was unwatchable.

But this being a musical has so much more potential to be a complete shitshow than great, and I think there's no middle ground here, we'll either be blown away or be cringing all the way through. Will wait for a preview.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 21st, 2022 06:34 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Ignore the titleless thread by Kazenji.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2024 06:54 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Ignore the titleless thread by Kazenji.

That's on KMC forum not me.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2024 08:06 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote